Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased on 06 Cayman S from ebay on a salvage title that was rebuilt with GT3 front fenders lights and front end. Car looks great. But on the salvage title it claims the car has 117k miles! Now the seller told me this was incorrect and said that the person who recorded the mileage looked at the odometer and misread it by reading tenths of miles as miles. Well, the odometer reads 12k miles and there is no tenths of miles until you get to the trip odometer which is below the odometer. Is there a way to change the look of the odometer reading so it shows tenths which would make my sellers story more credible???? I don't have an owners manual. Thanks in advance. Here's a Pic.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Looks great! I would think that one could tell if a car has 12k miles versus 117k miles by looking at the condition of the paint, the chips on the front bumper, paint wear on the fender around the tire, undercarriage, etc. I assume you can't return it, so you might as well enjoy it.

From the pic it doesn't look to have 117k. Does that help? (sorry, I couldn't resist :) )

-Moto

·
Registered
148 Posts
The trip odometer only goes up to 6,213.0 miles and then returns to 0. Therefore, I think is impossible to read 117,000 from there (only place with decimals). I don't see how you can modify the original mileage of the car... it may be an error but there's a member that has 97k miles (last time he posted his mileage) so 117k is not impossible either. I will take the car to your dealer to be sure.

pd. another take would be 11.7k miles and now has 12k...

·
Registered
502 Posts
I purchased on 06 Cayman S from ebay on a salvage title that was rebuilt with GT3 front fenders lights and front end. Car looks great. But on the salvage title it claims the car has 117k miles! Now the seller told me this was incorrect and said that the person who recorded the mileage looked at the odometer and misread it by reading tenths of miles as miles. Well, the odometer reads 12k miles and there is no tenths of miles until you get to the trip odometer which is below the odometer. Is there a way to change the look of the odometer reading so it shows tenths which would make my sellers story more credible???? I don't have an owners manual. Thanks in advance. Here's a Pic.
Haha, I remember seeing this car listed online last week. Glad to see the new owner made it here. It looks like a really nice rebuild. Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have someone(or the dealer) with a Durametric cable get a readout of the ECU operating hours and RPM ranges. You can then estimate the mileage from that, at least discount the 117000 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. The car does not appear to have over 50K, I just wanted to know if the odometer could be changed to show tenths of a mile on the top line. That would make the previous owner's explanation more rational. And yes, I've seen a lot of car blogs and this one is great. Of course it's the people who make it great!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I bought my car new from out of state. When registering at the DMV the inspector wrote the trip odometer and missed the decimal point. I noticed and had the paperwork re-done before signing the papers. So, I guess this mixup is more common than one might think for these cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts