Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I purchased this Odyssey battery 9754-2020-770 at the beginning of 2021, January to be exact. Came back from Vacation, it's been very cold here, and the battery was dead. Gave it a jump and went on my way. The battery worked all day. Yesterday, it needed another jump so I let the battery sit on the charger and fully charged it up. This am, barely started and on the return trip, I got stuck. Wifey had to com down to the store and give me a jump. She wasn't happy at 6am.

So, ordering a new battery today, under full warranty.

Topic for discussion is....... did not registering the battery hurt it? Did the cold weather play a part? Do I have a parasitic drain? I don't think it's the third as the car has sat for weeks at my shop while I was given a rental car from my employer. Its' never had this issue. I'm thinking the cold weather got to it and it just can't recover. At least I'm hoping it's that. I don't have time to search for a parasitic drain, let alone time to change this battery out.

Thoughts?

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Strange, I have the same battery, same age, and same climate with no problems. The only difference would be your car gets used twice as much as my car.

· Premium Member
130 Posts
My original varta lasted 9 years. And was still going strong when I replaced it. The only reason I replaced it was because I was getting nervous about it's age.

Reactions: TXCOMT

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ordered a new battery from Autozone. Had to pay for it but will get 100% credit when I return with my old battery. Not taking the car apart twice to get to the battery and not letting it sit without a battery for days on end.

Will kepp everyone posted.

· Administrator
2,222 Posts
1 year old battery failure? Most electronic failures follow a classic bathtub curve:
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Plot

I suspect your battery was a victim of the infant mortality part of the curve, some initial defect that causes it to fail rather quickly. The thing with any battery (including AGM) is - once they reach a point where they won't start the vehicle, that puts a BIG load on the weakened battery and they never entirely recover from that load. There is capacity lost. It still may charge, but it will never charge to the same capacity as before the failure.

One other thing to do - if you haven't installed the new one yet - put it on a charger overnight before installing it. One might hope that Autozone keeps the batteries at 100% charge, but that's doubtful since they're sitting in racks in the store usually. If the battery is put into use without being at 100% charge, some capacity is permanently lost. If you put the question to Google "precharge car battery before installing" you'll see conflicting answers. Thing is - I don't really trust a lot of the answers I see (small garages being "experts" based on what someone told them..) so - I'd suggest going to a battery manufacturer's website and seeing that they say: https://www.yuasabatteries.com/resources/guides/how-to-activate-an-agm-battery/

I try to make sure mine are fully charged before installing.

Reactions: TXCOMT and lastone

· Registered
2,488 Posts
I've been replacing batteries for a whole lot of years and in that time I have encountered 2 new batteries that were faulty. I returned them and the battery dealer replaced them free of charge. One went dead in just a few months and the other in 10 months. It happens unfortunately.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks don and Budman, yes, I did charge the battery overnight. It will start the car eveytime and one wouldn't notice anything out of the ordinary......That is until you leave the radio on for a minute or leave the door open for a few minutes. Then the car won't start up.

When the battery was new, you could listen to the radio and The Cayenne would shut it off automatically, "Only short term operation is Possible" would come up o the screen, which is Porsche's way of preserving the battery.

· Premium Member
130 Posts
I always put a charger on a new battery before installation.

· Registered
10 Posts
On my 987.2 if the car sits a few weeks without the doors being locked the battery will drain. There is apparently some part of the system that is not put to sleep without the doors being locked. Whatever it is has sufficient draw to drain the battery. With the doors locked it has gone a couple of months with no problem.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so Odyssey battery arrived Tuesdayand this am I went to pic it up from Autozone. Got there and the battery looked like it just finished the Baja 500. It was dirty and dusty with a black abrasion on one corner. The terminal caps were also missing and the terminals look liked they had post connections on them in the past.

Needless to say I did not accept the battery and received a refund. I then let them know I'll be back with my current dead battery and am requesting a full refund on that battery also. They obliged.

Ordered another one from 4 Wheel Drive Parts in West Covina. Cheapest battery prices in town. Total with tax included is $300.

Model number Odyssey AGM49 H8 L5, 850 CCA

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just adding closure to this thread. Supply chain delayed my new Odyssey battery so I got my money back and purchased a new Interstate AGM battery for $228. Great battery and a great deal. 3 year full replacement warranty,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.