Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one used an Odyssey PC925T in their Cayman. They also have a racing battery weighs 20lbs an ER30. My battery went down looking to replace. I see the other batteries that I could use, but interested in the Odyssey, no venting issues. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you are not concerned about weight & you can wait. Odyssey is in the process of introducing a new model
PC1350T which is a direct drop in for Porsche. It is scheduled to be at dealers in April.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have many many good things to say about Odyssey batteries. I had one of their 13lb batteries in my MR2 spyder as a daily driver. When it went dead (after 4 and 1/2 years), I bought another one. the only problem in my experience is when they go, there is no warning - no intermittent failure - they just don't do it anymore. Re: the 1350T model, the web site lists it, but no dealers have it yet. What does the stocker weigh and what will we save with the 1350T? Question - is the battery for the Cayman S the same size and dimensions as the Boxster S battery?

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
. . . What does the stocker weigh and what will we save with the 1350T? Question - is the battery for the Cayman S the same size and dimensions as the Boxster S battery?
The stock battery weighs 50 lbs. I'm pretty sure the Boxster and Cayman have the same OEM battery.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
The stock battery weighs 50 lbs. I'm pretty sure the Boxster and Cayman have the same OEM battery.
Thats weird, my stock battery does not weigh that much! They must put in different batteries for different countries/climate.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can't seem to find it on the web...

I just found this thread as I was researching light(er) weight replacement batteries, as mine is in it's 4th summer, and I am planning to replace in the not too distant future. The 1350 may be dimensionally a drop in fit, but it weighs 60! pounds. I was hoping that was going to be a winner, but no thanks! The PC925 weighs 24 pounds and has 470 cold cranking amps, which is getting up near our stock batteries. I might go that route with one of their hold down straps to fit it in the stock tray.

·
Registered
239 Posts
CCA rating differ by geography/standards org. US CCAs are weaker than Euro - the Molls are rated in the Euro standard. If you buy a US market battery with the same "rating" as the Moll, you'll have much less power in practice. There is no free lunch.

I save around 14 lbs with a smaller Interstate, IIRC. Search my posts on this site for the specifics.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Had Odyssey batteris in all my Porsches over the years - flawless. Very light and just incredible quaility (and surprising reserve too!)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thats weird, my stock battery does not weigh that much! They must put in different batteries for different countries/climate.
Nor does mine. I've seen a photo of a UK CS with a *huge* battery in it. I think it possible that Porsche installs a bigger battery in cold climate cars.:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone using the PC1350T yet? Is it a direct drop in?

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Is there a way of replacing the battery without losing the "adaptation" of the DME?

...meaning that if I'm going on the track on saturday, its not a good thing to change to the light weight battery on friday because its going to have to "learn" all over again on the track?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Blackcrow,

You may go all the way to the Odessey 680 battery. Your current battery should be around 40 pounds and this one is 14 pounds. To make it work right you will need the Rennline battery mount designed for your car. The only bad thing about the mount and battery is that it looks so good that it hurts to have it hidden under the plastic covers. If we get the chance to meet at the event this month I will show it to you.

note; if you choose to go with the Odessey you must purchase locally as it is not shipped. The mount you can buy with no problem at Rennline.

Jose

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does the smaller PC680 or PC925 pose any issues for street use?

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I've had mine since 2008 on a Boxster and use the convertible top quite often, no problems so far. Even thou its only installed around six months every year, I am truly amazed by this battery... two deep cycle recharges in three years, again, no problems so far! :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Is there a way of replacing the battery without losing the "adaptation" of the DME?

...meaning that if I'm going on the track on saturday, its not a good thing to change to the light weight battery on friday because its going to have to "learn" all over again on the track?
I used the following post from a guy on PPBB when I installed my Deka ETX 30L lightweight battery in August of 2010: Braille battery installed

Note that he attached a battery charger to the leads going to the battery before he removed the old battery—I did not perform this step—and left them attached until the new battery was in. This might be a way to overcome your concern.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm installing the PC925T in my Cayman next week with the Rennline Kit. I know there's no venting issues with Odyssey batteries but should i leave that tube in or can i pull it out? Does anyone know where it leads to?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm installing the PC925T in my Cayman next week with the Rennline Kit. I know there's no venting issues with Odyssey batteries but should i leave that tube in or can i pull it out? Does anyone know where it leads to?
Please keep us posted on the installation ... I am looking to swap out my OEM battery for the PC925T/RennLine Set up over the next month or so ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts