Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I sold my 2011 GT3RS for a Cayman GTS. I bought the RS purely as a track car (I was a huge track nut back then, started from the BMW days). Then I started doing less and less track days and spend more time on other hobbies. Even though the car, to me, is tolerable for street driving, I didn't really get much enjoyment from that. That car is meant to be driven at 6-8k rpm, not putting around at 3k rpm. When I did drive hard on the street, I was dangerously exceeding the speed limit by a whole lot. Plus I didn't like the attention it got on the street. I get more enjoyments driving the sh!t out of my Fiesta hatch on the street, and still doesn't raise any eyebrows. It just seemed wasteful garaging a 150k car waiting for the next track day. I will certainly miss the heavy clutch pedal, notchy shifter, noisy cabin, lightweight flywheel chatter, quick acceleration. It felt manly to drive that machine. It was the most difficult and most rewarding car I've ever driven (probably will ever drive). But it was time to move on to a more low-key but track worthy car.

So I went from this

To this

Usually I buy the car off the show floor to avoid the wait. I was fortunate to always find ones with the specs I liked. This is the first time I ordered/spec'd from factory. It was an excruciating 4 month wait! Drove it directly from the dealership to clear bra shop. So now I gotta wait a bit longer to enjoy it.

With the limited driving time and keeping under 5k rpm, it's definitely not as raw as the GT3RS. The cabin is more refined and less noisy. Gears are taller. Being a mid engine, it's more balanced. Suspension is softer, even with the Sports Suspension. I read the chassis is stiffer than 997.2 GT3RS (?). Didn't drive it hard enough to find out. The sports exhaust on this thing is amazing! I would go as far as to say it sounds better than stock exhaust on GT3RS. Though it's no comparison when the RS revs to 8400rpm :drool: The auto-blip in sports plus mode is pretty nifty. I mostly will do that on street, because I'm too lazy to rev match on street. I still want to rev match manually on track.

A more detailed comparison and pics to come...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nice cars! Have fun with the GTS.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Plus I didn't like the attention it got on the street.
You'll find that the Cayman gets a lot of unwanted attention as well, particularly since you got the Sapphire Blue. I get a lot of stares, comments, and smartass remarks. It's hard not to feel nervous in some of these cases, and I always feel some concern when parking it in public places.

Anyway, it's a great car, but not that easy to live with on a daily basis either - not much ground clearance, a little too much noise/drama/stiffness for comfortable street and highway driving, too much attention, etc. Still, a wonderful experience when I'm in the right mood!

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
You'll find that the Cayman gets a lot of unwanted attention as well, particularly since you got the Sapphire Blue. I get a lot of stares, comments, and smartass remarks. It's hard not to feel nervous in some of these cases, and I always feel some concern when parking it in public places.

Anyway, it's a great car, but not that easy to live with on a daily basis either - not much ground clearance, a little too much noise/drama/stiffness for comfortable street and highway driving, too much attention, etc. Still, a wonderful experience when I'm in the right mood!
I agree with visualguy, my black 2014 Cayman S gets a lot of attention. Either on the highway and people wanting to challenge you or in stop and go traffic. I do get some compliments along the way, which is nice, but many people want to speed up along side of you or race by you. Even if it is a Honda, a Corvette or some other beater car. Either way, it's nice to own some exclusivity, and a beautiful well balanced car. Enjoy!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looking forward to reading your comparison. I'm waiting for my January delivery Sapphire GTS...excruciating. Cannot also wait for the Porsche Experience coming to Carson, CA.

http://www.racer.com/latest-stories/item/107428-coming-to-california-the-porsche-experience-center

·
Registered
125 Posts
Congrats, very nice! Cool seeing that you stayed with a manual. I had a 997 GT3 back in '07, which I really enjoyed. Can't say I like my CS as much as the GT3, but it's nice daily driver. A couple of tweaks - like shorter gearing, for example - and it would be near perfect.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You are a rare breed, you usually see people going from a Cayman to a 911, not the other way around, especially a GT3RS, a car that's suppose to hold it's value in the future. If you are going to do it, you got it right with sapphire blue. Congrats!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, all!

Yeah I don't like driving exotic cars on the street. Catch too much attention and always worry about someone tapping into the bumper or vandalizing it.

I once caught someone (a driver) taking video of my GT3RS while driving on freeway for a good 30 min, and someone (a passenger) sticking his head out the sunroof to take picture of my car lol. I never had anyone tried to race me in my GT3RS, but several times when I had my old BMW M3. I'm sure the sport exhaust on the cayman might attract the wrong crowd and do the same.:hilarious: But I'm sure I'll still have alot of fun with this car.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
A GT3 RS is my dream car (having driven one recently) or at least one of the very few on my list of dream cars. But I certainly understand your position and I admire your interest in moving to a Cayman. They are pretty special cars IMHO, and the new one is very impressive. Of course everyone wants 400+ HP in a Cayman, but the GTS offers a very nice package, and you can nearly buy two for the value of your GT3RS. I sure look forward to your driving impressions. As for the gawkers, both positive and negative, I have never experienced anything but the positive in my 06 Cayman S. It attracts attention from both Porsche people and other car people as well as the general public during my commute. I can imagine the 981 might up this somewhat as it looks more Euro and exotic (more Ferrari-like, and I say that in the nicest way possible.)
Still, it's got be more demure than a white and red GT3 RS, let's face it. That car screams to be looked at!

·
Noob
857 Posts
Saw your's at premier, looking good.
Mine already got a small color chip on my way back from sonnen, unlucky me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine already got a small color chip on my way back from sonnen, unlucky me.
Same here :( I was driving quite fast because Premier was closing for the day.

·
Noob
857 Posts
Mine was right on the hood, semi noticeable. Tried Dr ColorChip multiple times, didn't work.
I don't mind chips, I know they will happen, but was pissed it happened on the 1st drive home :(

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Don't do what I did, and make fun of the people who use clear bras. I have basically come around 180 degrees on this. I was wrong, and they were right. Porsche's paint, along with everybody else's, is absolute sh!t nowadays. I don't know whose fault it is, and it doesn't make any difference. If you care about how your car looks and you want to actually drive it, you need to budget a few thousand dollars for paint protection.

·
Noob
857 Posts
Probably some health / environment regulations.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Probably some health / environment regulations.
BINGO! moving from solvent based paints to water based paints (due to VOC concerns) is why paint jobs are crappier these days..... but the old solvent based stuff was really nasty.... so our planet and your future grand kids lacking a third ear thank you

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
BINGO! moving from solvent based paints to water based paints (due to VOC concerns) is why paint jobs are crappier these days..... but the old solvent based stuff was really nasty.... so our planet and your future grand kids lacking a third ear thank you
My previous e36 M3's paint needed a chisel and hammer to give it a rock chip, I do missed those days.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts