Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know how it goes....picked up an old but pristine 986 BS some months back, got addicted to the top down driving experience, ran some hypothetical numbers on swapping my 981 Cayman for a 981 Boxster, and a week later brought this home:

image(13).jpg image(12).jpg image(14).jpg

2013 Boxster, Black on Black, PDK, HIDs with PDLS, Heated and Ventilated, Infotainment, Premium, Power Steering Plus, etc. I feel it was a pretty fair trade across considering how spartan my Cayman was.

Met up with some friends and their 997 this weekend to enjoy the gorgeous weather. I enjoy driving the 981 Boxster more than the 981 Cayman. I know it isn't as stiff, but is strangely feels more planted. Maybe that's because of the larger wheels (had 18s on the Cayman, 19s on this Boxster), or maybe the slight more flexibility keeps the car from 'hopping' when hitting bumps in a corner. Whatever it is, it's an absolute joy to drive and I have no regrets at all about the trade.

Now the only problem is....I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back to a fixed roof car. Guess that's not really a 'problem' though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Now the only problem is....I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back to a fixed roof car. Guess that's not really a 'problem' though.[/QUOTE]

That's definitely not a problem!

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Wow, nice Boxster. The "plain, unpainted wheel caps" look great on that black/black car. I see evidence of F/R parking sensors too.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'm with you. I can't live without a convertible, but the Cayman is the better (by a hair) car and is more beautiful (by a hair). I just can't live without the wind in my hair. (I often have impure thoughts of a Cayman.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, nice Boxster. The "plain, unpainted wheel caps" look great on that black/black car. I see evidence of F/R parking sensors too.
Astute observation! It does have parking sensors front and rear. No back up camera, but I can live without it. I do have to admit though, rearward visibility in parking lots is a bit scarier in this car than it was in the Cayman, and that car wasn't wonderful itself!

JohnnyQuest I would probably have to agree with your 'by a hair' assessments. But on balance, IMHO, the Boxster provides the better all around experience. For me anyway, and since it's my car, that's all that matters :)

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
You drove 981 Cayman and Boxster back to back. I was wondering if you noticed if the Boxster was quieter to drive. It seems to be that way with the 987 series.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, weirdly enough, the Boxster is actually quieter. I'm not sure if there is a little more sound dampening in the wheel wells, but I hear less road debris in the Boxster. You don't hear the engine quite as much for obvious reasons, but I was fully expecting the Boxster to be louder and it isn't.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Someone should do a study on psychological effects of top down driving. We had a record high temp day here this last sunday with temps close to 80 and the wife and I tooled around town in the BGTS. Both of us commented on how calm and unstressed we were. I know the weather played a significant role as it was a beautiful day but it had been quite some time since either of us had felt such an overwhelming calmness. It was magical!

·
Registered
700 Posts
You don't hear the engine quite as much for obvious reasons, but I was fully expecting the Boxster to be louder and it isn't.
Until you put the top down, then that glorious exhaust crescendos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Now the only problem is....I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back to a fixed roof car. Guess that's not really a 'problem' though.
Curiously, I now no longer own a fixed roof car... and I live in Toronto. :D

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I agree, I know I can't live w/o a convertible. Brought my first one 10 years ago and will always have one in the garage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts