Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simply it's the transformation of an ugly duckling into a swan... In one word, it's STUNNING!

What's not to like?
The exterior from all sides is stunning and the interior with the new dashboard is superb.

Well, that's NOT the big news. The big news is that I'm placing an order for a 2017 Panamera 4S. At first I thought of a Panamera turbo but the price is steep to play with. I already spoke to the dealer. And I'll configure mine once their configuration goes live. Oh, yes sedans are not for me. But I figured I'll get a taste of it for a while then sell it while the demand is high.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Funky rear spoiler trick.
Especially looks better at the rear than previous Panameras.
Every time I drove one of the last-gen versions, my sports car purist ego got into a bit of self-loathing for liking the car so much. I have no need for a massive luxury sedan, but if I did, the Panny would be a contender.

I imagine the Panamera would be an awesome desert distance cruiser.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Every time I drove one of the last-gen versions, my sports car purist ego got into a bit of self-loathing for liking the car so much.
What did you like about it? I drove the last gen and thought it was *comfy*, but nothing struck me as spectacular.

I do like the redesign though, it actually looks nice now.:)

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
What did you like about it? I drove the last gen and thought it was *comfy*, but nothing struck me as spectacular.

I do like the redesign though, it actually looks nice now.:)
The one that caused an eyebrow to raise for me was a '13 Panamera Turbo. My 911 was in for a warranty repair, and they gave it to me as a loaner. Looking in the rear-view mirror, there was as much space back there as an F150...but 10 minutes into the drive I realized it was quicker...much quicker on full boil than my GTS. It didn't have 911 reflexes, but it just didn't compute that something that big could be so fast, and so composed when motoring at 7/10ths. Of course, if you really pushed through corners, the weight reared its head. But the composure at speed, and the quiet, were a sharp contrast to my 911. Compared to a BMW 7 (driven) and an A8 (passenger) the Panamera Turbo had decidedly more edge and was engaging to drive with verve.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
I don't know, I still don't like the rear when looking at the side profile. I like everything else about it though.

-Moto

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Well, that's NOT the big news. The big news is that I'm placing an order for a 2017 Panamera 4S. At first I thought of a Panamera turbo but the price is steep to play with. I already spoke to the dealer. And I'll configure mine once their configuration goes live. Oh, yes sedans are not for me. But I figured I'll get a taste of it for a while then sell it while the demand is high.

So you had the option of either ordering a GT4 or a Panamera and you chose the Panamera? Who are you again???
:hilarious:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think the update is spectacular. If I had the need for a 4 seat sedan and was in the market for something in this price range it's a no brainer. I've driven the old version as well as all of it's competitors and the old one was superior, this one will kick *** and take names. Well done Porsche.

And I love Jalopnik's title: The 2017 Porsche Panamera Turbo's Wing Is Some F***ng Iron Man Sh*t.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I love it - maybe too much. Cannot wait to see and drive the 4S. Don't think I'm getting rid of my 991 S just yet, but it could probably use a sibling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Hassaan, We might be doing the same car again. A 987 turbo, a 991 turbo and next, the Panamera 4s. The new rear design is easier on the eyes even though the first gen had Cayman similar tail lights. Depending on the Cayenne diesel settlement results, the Pannie is currently the first replacement choice.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hassaan, We might be doing the same car again. A 987 turbo, a 991 turbo and next, the Panamera 4s. The new rear design is easier on the eyes even though the first gen had Cayman similar tail lights. Depending on the Cayenne diesel settlement results, the Pannie is currently the first replacement choice.
Congratulations dear Tom... I'm blown away by this gem. There's not a sedan in the market that comes close to catch my eyes. The moment I stop drooling on the exterior, the interior is just wow! The screen, dashboard... etc. it's epic.

However, I took a step back. Due to the following reasons:
1) I'm on the 991.2 GT3 RS waiting list. Although I now believe 99% there won't be one coming.
2) I'm on the GT2 RS waiting list. I'm number 4 on the waiting list, but who knows.

If none of the above materializes then my decision is to stay in 2017 window shopping.

I say, replace the 958 with a Patrol. Then we'll have identical garage. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If anyone still in doubt, check this masterpiece PCM at last:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Still dunno. The original Panamera, especially the rear, is a unique design that I really like. It has class, it doesn't look like other cars.

Could very much see me owning one. The only thing better would have been a long rear roof euro-trash wagon. But even without, large hatch and foldable rear seats go a long way.

Too bad I have been scared off early Pannies by reports of engine reliability issues :(

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Exactly. The last gen is a comfortable car for those who needs comfortable cars. I was uncomfortable in it. Too soft, too big, not sporty at all. And the rear was god awful ugly.

The redesign looks really nice. They improved the butt, although it's still a bit fat. They need to show the trunk line, like Astons, instead of that fat blob from rear seats to the taillights. They are going that direction, it's much less bloby now. I'm sure they'll slowly get there in couple of gens. And milk a lot of $ from the owners in the process.

You can't really see much of the car in those videos above. more pics here. Car and Driver

P.S. They still keep the fugly wart!

They kept the wart, despite the fact that dash is 80% digital now, and there is simply not enough data to show. Look at those empty end circles! You can show boatload of nice sport timers there!

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Aaah! Transformers are here!!!

I think the update is spectacular. If I had the need for a 4 seat sedan and was in the market for something in this price range it's a no brainer. I've driven the old version as well as all of it's competitors and the old one was superior, this one will kick *** and take names. Well done Porsche.

And I love Jalopnik's title: The 2017 Porsche Panamera Turbo's Wing Is Some F***ng Iron Man Sh*t.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
A bit soon for congrats Hassaan but maybe later. The Patrol (I think it is the Infiniti QX80 in the US) is one of the bigger SUVs here but I think I’m done with them even though my Cayenne Diesel handles well, rides well and has enough room for long trips.

I almost traded my MB S550 on a Panamera Turbo for the comfy trip car but it didn’t feel that special for the money and got the more practical CD instead. The Panameras are big and wide cars but can’t think of something else better. The wife likes the Maserati, but that’s not going to happen. I'd go for the rumored 2-door coupe Pajun but that is still years off.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A bit soon for congrats Hassaan but maybe later. The Patrol (I think it is the Infiniti QX80 in the US) is one of the bigger SUVs here but I think I’m done with them even though my Cayenne Diesel handles well, rides well and has enough room for long trips.

I almost traded my MB S550 on a Panamera Turbo for the comfy trip car but it didn’t feel that special for the money and got the more practical CD instead. The Panameras are big and wide cars but can’t think of something else better. The wife likes the Maserati, but that’s not going to happen. I'd go for the rumored 2-door coupe Pajun but that is still years off.
Maserati SUV?

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Pajun? Seriously? Somebody called a car after Korean pancakes???

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pajun? Seriously? Somebody called a car after Korean pancakes???
Korean Pancake is Pa Jun.

Porsche's nicknamed Pajun is an abbreviation of Panamera Junior. But it'll never be called so. It's only among journalists and fans.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts