Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, sorry 'bout this ;)

Everything on my order I'm pleased about... except the audio/nav stuff, and the parking sensors/camera.

My original plan was to forego all that, because I really don't care (much) about sound quality since this isn't my daily driver, and on solo trips I often listen to podcasts (I'm a "loyal little" for those who get the reference), but I do want a USB port and I do want a good navigation (no, I don't want to use my phone). In Canada, that would mean forking over 4500 bucks for the PCM/Nav module with Bose (that's the cheapest option in this country to get Nav and a USB). Then add 1700 for front/rear sensors and the backup camera.

I figured I'd rather order none of those things, get a Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX for USB and SD card and Nav, mount with Suncoast frame, and I could always get an amp and speakers to upgrade sound quality later if I really wanted to (honestly, probably would). Then I would have to get an aftermarket backup cam (probably mounted on the license plate frame), and aftermarket parking sensors. Of course, if I want to use the full capabilities of the multi-function steering wheel, I'd need an aftermarket module for that as well (forget the name, not officially guaranteed to work with a 981 but it works for a 987 and 997 and it's all CANBUS so it SHOULD work). Not including speakers and amp (because I'd probably upgrade these if I got the Porsche factory Bose anyway, so it's a wash), this would probably run me about 2 grand, not including labour, and there is always the concern about drilling my bumper for those sensors, and having the aftermarket steering module work, vs 6200 for the factory items.

Let's assume labour is a cool grand (I doubt it, but I'm rounding high to be prepared), that's 3000 for the aftermarket route of Nav/stereo interface with USB and SD card access, and aftermarket parking sensors and back up camera, vs 6500 by getting all that through ordering the car with the cheapest option (Bose with Nav/PCM, and Porsche's own camera and parking sensors).*

So, I am putting this to all my new Planet 9 friends and acquaintances. I would love to hear about your experiences with either/both methods, but keep in mind I am not particularly interested in hearing about sound quality, because likely either way I will upgrade (though if I found the factory Bose "passable", I would keep it in favour of upgrading for upgrading' sake).

* reason I insist on going aftermarket camera and parking sensors if I go with an aftermarket Nav is to not deal with trying to get PCM features to work on a non PCM format. It may work, but I don't feel like guinea pigging myself to find out.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Re: Oh no! Not another "help me change my order before it's too late" thread?!

That all sounds too complicated to me and a PITA with all this after market stuff. I would get the Infotainment (which includes Bose, Nav, USB etc). I think they all work great together. And get the factory rear view camera and sensors. It's simple. You obviously have the resources since it is a weekend toy, it preserves your warranty and keeps the car stock which probably will help with resale. Plus its much less aggravation. You wont need to upgrade Bose later. It's great IMO.

Just my 2 cents. Others will chime in.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts

I would never buy a used Porsche with non-OEM backup sensors/camera and sound system. You may save a few bucks, and it may all work great, but it's gonna hurt you at resale time.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts

I concur with the other guys. No way would I personally buy a used pcar with aftermarket electronics. Nav is the only option worthy anything on resale (a pittance at that) and the customer base, IMO, expect OEM. It costs more than aftermarket but that's the price of doing business.

·
Registered
538 Posts

You got me thinking about my old Alpine pullout and 20 way EQ mounted under the dash! It was nice... the Alpine had a handle and I could carry it around the mall with me, some people even bought the bag to put it in and carry it over your shoulder! I had an Alpine alarm with a pager ( pager?? What's that) because autos did not come with keyless entry and alarms! Now a days factory stuff is so intergrated into the whole package it's hard to change things up for the most part. IMO what you are talking about is Old Skool!

·
Registered
779 Posts

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about your plan is that I don't like the look of aftermarket because it looks so ..... well ..... aftermarket. The Porsche/Suncoast part looks better than most frames for aftermarket unit, I'll admit. And you certainly get much more bang for your buck with that Pioneer than the stock PCM.....

Reactions: Spectre

·
Registered
478 Posts

My 2 cents
If you go aftermarket and want it to be clean / high quality - you'll spend 2-3x factory cost and may still be doing some guinea pig work - although it will likely sound better than stock.
Ask yourself whether you want to **** around with aftermarket niggles or get a clean ok solution from the factory.
Eff it - it is just money...

·
Registered
3,595 Posts

The OEM camera has guidelines that actually tell you where the car will be; they move as you turn the wheel. My aftermarket cam has fixed lines.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Factory installed is always better not in terms of "quality of equipment" but "quality of fitment".

Also when something in the system goes wrong (and it always does) then it's a one stop shop to get it fixed at your dealer under warranty.

My humble opinion
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts

If I were looking at a CPO and it didn't have these options, that wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me and I wouldn't hesitate getting aftermarket. However, if I'm ordering a car, I would go OEM for the reasons already stated in this thread. When I ordered my car, I eventually realized that the overpriced options I wanted represented a relatively small incremental increase in total cost.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

I agree with all the posters, go OEM but I have one question, why do you need a back up camera on a car this size? The front and rear sensors seem more than adequate if you need the help and are approximately $1000 less. What does the camera offer that the sensors don't?

·
Registered
344 Posts

I agree with all the posters, go OEM but I have one question, why do you need a back up camera on a car this size? The front and rear sensors seem more than adequate if you need the help and are approximately $1000 less. What does the camera offer that the sensors don't?
Only to "see" what the sensors are on about.
I have a camera on my Beemer but I rarely ever look at the screen when backing up. Somehow I find it distracting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,682 Posts

So... when's your lock date? I don't have much in the way of advice other than to say I've been quite happy with the Bose system and that the factory Nav has done it's job well so far, though there's definitely a bit of a learning curve to get what you want out of it.

Every time I remember enough about it to have it do what I want, I'm also happy I sprung for the voice control. Even with the top down on the highway, I'm able to tell it to "stop route guidance" and it does it on the first shot. I like that for when I'm already past the point where I now know how to get home and don't need it to keep telling me to keep left at each transfer lane. :D

I love the parking sensors. I've figured out exactly how to place my car safely in the garage using them.

You know that as your lock date gets closer, these issues are only going to get worse and worse, right? :D You're gonna breathe a huge sigh of relief when it passes. You may have spent a few grand more by then... but once it passes it'll be all over but the wait. Any second guessing after then will be pointless. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts

I second going the factory option route. Factory infotainment system actually adds value to the car too. Aftermarket system can be looked down on trade in or sales

I like modding cars for functionality (perf mods etc), but by the time you start messing with the interior, you can't ever get a clean look. You also end up scratching and dinging a lot when taking the trim apart and back together.

So much hassle avoided too. Might not be easy to find anyone willing to add aftermarket speakers/amp/headunit and do it well on a porsche. If you know someone that you know will do a good job, thats one thing and maybe aftermarket is a good route. If you don't know anyone and will be calling around, I'd stay clear.

Last, the Bose system is actually pretty good after I got used to it and break in.

·
Registered
779 Posts

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about your plan is that I don't like the look of aftermarket because it looks so ..... well ..... aftermarket. The Porsche/Suncoast part looks better than most frames for aftermarket unit, I'll admit. And you certainly get much more bang for your buck with that Pioneer than the stock PCM.....
I will add this: Almost a year after delivery of my car and I have no regret about any option I did not not get expect this: PCM instead of plain Bose because I want the built in nav. Do I ever think "geez, I could go aftermarket"? No! Long way of saying I would bite the bullet and get the PCM, etc.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts

Every time I remember enough about it to have it do what I want, I'm also happy I sprung for the voice control. Even with the top down on the highway, I'm able to tell it to "stop route guidance" and it does it on the first shot. I like that for when I'm already past the point where I now know how to get home and don't need it to keep telling me to keep left at each transfer lane.
You are the first person I've heard say something positive about the Voice Control option. That's very encouraging to read since I believe instinctively that it should be a tremendous help with the NAV operations.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts

I found that I really needed the camera in my 981B. The rear of the car is so tall I can't see much, and the sensors are inadequate for pedestrians or other cars because they only register when you're about to hit it.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

Mine has the Pioneer flagship 850 HU and JL amps and speakers and subwoofer. The backup camera on the Pioneer turns out to be all I need for parking without touching in a car this length. For resale, just save your original parts. They might help with trade in or resale. I have also read Sony makes a nice HU w backup cam...

·
Registered
728 Posts

You want Navi and USB. Get the PCM w/Bose.

Any aftermarket system will not integrate as well as the factory unit. Nor will the fit and finish look as good.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thank you for your replies, everyone. Your input was much appreciated... And as it turns out, agreeable to my wife.vshe is normally quite frugal, but even after allowing me to make this purchase, agreed with all your overwhelming majority position. As it turns out, the very reason I posted this thread was because my previous stance ("I'm not paying Porsche that much for a [email protected]#!ing USB") was wavering, mainly due to the desire to have everything work straight from the factory.

So, as it stands, I've emailed my SA to add the Bose/Nav/PCM and front/rear sensors with camera to my build. It locks in 5 days.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts