Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was poking around under my 2006 CS earlier this afternoon, and discovered it is leaking where the hoses attach to the power steering rack. ARRRGGH! :eek: :(

So, first thing Monday morning, I will call the dealer and make an appointment to bring it in. It is still under warranty for another 7 months, so they should take care of this (this time).

The reason I'm posting is that I'd like your input on how to keep this from happening again. I have already installed an underdrive pulley, which, it turns out, isn't quite enough all by itself. Without doing anything too elaborate or effort/fabrication-intensive, what other cures/preventatives would you suggest to do?

I have already searched, and what I've found either matches what I've already done or is more complicated/elaborate/experimental than I'm looking for. Basically, I'm looking for more of a "bolt this piece on here and be done with it" solution. If I have to go with complicated/elaborate/experimental, then I will, but only if that's the only option.

Thanks!

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
Unfortunately what you want does not yet exist.

The closet to your requirement is the installaiton of a cooler int the low pressure return line. Also, if you hose is leaking at the rack it is probably already failing at the end of the HP line closest to the pump. Your resevoir to pump interface may also have issues (not certain though).

Insulation and the other band aid solutions are just that, band aids, and do nothing to solve the problem - getting the heat out of the system.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
A member here did the power steering hoses insulation. Did you do that too?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Bill,
If you remove the plastic pan under the car, you will see the 'official' PS cooler along with the duct in the plastic cover that keeps it cool. If you look at the other side of the car, there are a couple more zig-zags of pipe that do not have any airflow thru them. In the attached pic, the area on the left is not vented.

I opened up a hole in one of the plastic cover mounting screw recesses to allow air to flow thru this section. I also made a rectangular hole towards the back of the cover to allow air to escape. This is shown in the other pic. Since the pic was taken, I've increased the width of the inlet hole some.

I estimate this is more than a 50% increase in cooling area with the only cost being a little quality time with your dremel tool.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
DaveD, do you track your car, if so I asume this helped. I only use my 06 CS for the track so far so good on the PS issue. Will do what you did for some insurance. Thank you.

·
Registered
294 Posts
omg-
Yes, I track the car. I have the UDP, the extra vent described above, and last season I also added some insulation to the PS pipes where they run close to the exhaust header. I check PS fluid level before each event. So far, so good - although I've probably jinxed myself now!

Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I was on the forum asking about how I switch out my steering wheel to replace with a Sparco, no air bag or horn.

I tracked my 06 CS at 10 different events last year and so far so good. This winter I did alot of mods, so this will be my primary track car.Last yr it shared the track with my 09 M3. I am concerned about the oil starvation and power steering issues. My first event this yr is at Summit Point March 13. Will do your mod before that.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
omg-
Yes, I track the car. I check PS fluid level before each event.

Dave
Dave's note is so so true. I've been tracking and autocrossing my 2000 Boxster S and now a 2006 Cayman S for 10 years.
I've done the under-drive pulley, the insulation, and added cooling to lines

BUT the real key is "CHECK THE POWER STEERING FLUID LEVEL BEFORE OR AFTER EVERY EVENT."
Do this all the time and you won't have any problems. Add a cooler to the line for additional peace of mind.

·
Registered
468 Posts
omg-
Yes, I track the car. I have the UDP, the extra vent described above, and last season I also added some insulation to the PS pipes where they run close to the exhaust header. I check PS fluid level before each event. So far, so good - although I've probably jinxed myself now!

Dave
Dave, can you elaborate on the insulation you performed, what/where materials you purchased and perhaps any pictures of your work?
I think this sounds like an easy piece of 'insurance' and would like to replicate your work on my 987.
Thanks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Dave, can you elaborate on the insulation you performed, what/where materials you purchased and perhaps any pictures of your work?
I think this sounds like an easy piece of 'insurance' and would like to replicate your work on my 987.
Thanks.
I don't have a pic handy of the insulation installed, but here is a pic of the PS hoses. As you can see, they run fairly close to the exhaust.

Some have insulated large areas of the hose. I just insulated several inches worth near the exhaust. I used ThermoTec insulating exhaust wrap because that is what I had handy. A better choice might be the ThermoTec Thermo-Shield material which has a foil exterior surface to reflect the radiant heat along with a thin insulating layer. Also, it is adhesive backed which would make it easier to apply.

hope that helps, Dave

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bill,
If you remove the plastic pan under the car, you will see the 'official' PS cooler along with the duct in the plastic cover that keeps it cool. If you look at the other side of the car, there are a couple more zig-zags of pipe that do not have any airflow thru them. In the attached pic, the area on the left is not vented.
Fascinating. The stock cooler definitely needs more air and a few enhancements for efficiency.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Does anyone have some pictures of how the LN Engineering power steering cooler was installed with the factory PS "cooler" loops. The instructions in the articles section describe an installation where the "cooler" loops don't exist. I am starting to wonder if increasing the air flow and switching to Redline PS fluid would be good enough. I already have a BBI under drive pulley.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts