Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Planet 9'ers - i've been eyeing getting a Boxster/Cayman for about a year now and have been reading up as much as possible in the preparation to buy one.
This site and the members have been great in shedding light on aspects of owning a 987.

I've got my eye on a 2009 2.9 PDK and have a few questions that I hope you can help me with.

1. PDK maintenance - is there any other maintenance required other than fluid change? e.g. clutches, etc. The car has covered about 30k miles so far.
2. CDR-30 (no usb or universal music interface) - thinking of bluetooth FM transmitter e.g Jabra - is there a lot of interference for FM modulators in the car? is the AUX kit from Porsche worthwhile?
3. Thinking of adding sports design steering with paddles - is this really just a straight foward swap? (current has the round airbag design)
4. The alcantara on the standard seats look like wet dog's fur and has "cotton balls". Any way to repair this or do I need to replace the seat covers? Does wearing jeans often create this effect?
5. The brakes seem to take a bit more modulation to stop the car. The pads and rotors look good and were only recently replaced. Is this normal? What was your experience coming to this car?
6. How big a difference does sports mode/sports chrono add to the driving experience? I've used throttle controllers before and I felt that they change the linear nature of the throttle response but I understand in this car it adjusts the PSM and gearchanges too.
7. How often should the absorbers be changed? (standard suspension - non PASM).
8. During the test drive I found that the 19's make the car quite firm. Has anyone here with 987.2 non PASM downsized to 18's because of comfort or only those in 987.1?
9. Purchase of aftermarket warranty - there are programs being offerred costing 1.5k-2.5k USD a year for mechanical breakdwown coverage. Is it worth it or just spend the money on regular maintenance? The car has full service history from day 1 and no major issues so far. Are there any major risks for this generation? I plan to drive on the track once a year.

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
On 5), same for me. Took me (and wife) while to get used to the pedal feel, but the brakes do their job perfectly well, so no worries.

7), your dealership can test the shock absorbers and advice on replacement. There is no general rule, depends on how the car was driven I. The past.

8), right now I have 18 inch rims with winter tires on, no notable difference to 19 inch summer. It's firm but still ok, it's a sports car.

9), are you referring to the Porsche Approved programme? I'm not decided yet, it's expensive but will also cover a blown motor. However, modding your car can void the warranty and by modding we talk using non-OEM rims or even non N-spec tires (depends on the dealership), so given what I plan to do with my car the Approved programme is not applicable...

·
Registered
617 Posts
5: Brakes on these cars do feel a bit soft, compared my wife's Audi A5, for example. You can firm them up with at GT3 master cylinder swap if you want to change the feel.

9: If the car is in good shape, I'd just set aside that money for a rainy-day repair. These cars are solid, though you didn't say how many miles. If you don't end up needing the money, it's cash in the bank.

Since you asked about warranty I assume that the car is not certified pre-owned. In that case I'd try to see if you can get an independent pre-purchase inspection from another shop or dealer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sven76 and pmonkey for the responses so far.

5) Yes, perhaps we are so used to stronger servoed brakes from other cars that it may take some getting used to.
I have heard some mention that the Cayman S brakes have a stronger bite even if the brake discs are the same size as 2.9 of the same gen. Are the calipers different?

7) Since the cars have passed the 5 year mark, wondering if anyone has changed the absorbers with a fresh set of stock or moved to PSS9 yet :)

8) I cant seem to resist the attractive designs for the 19's... LOL...

9) The car is 30k miles on the clock and seems to have no issues on the indy PPI that was carried out together with PIWIS check. You are right - Its not a CPO unit.
Since the cost of the aftermarket warranty is quite expensive, I was wondering if its really necessary but it does include fuel system, water pumps, engine, transmission.
Has anyone with a 2009 ono changed any of these items other than consumables?
Sven you brought up a good point about mods affecting the warranty - I plan to use an aftermarket exhaust but keep everything else stock for now (maybe except the steering....)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Instead of aftermarket exhaust look for a car with Porsche Sport Exhaust. Too much noise for me, but if you are after a loud exhaust, the PSE is the way to go.

CS will have larger calipers compared to the base Cayman, but I have not noticed a difference on the road.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got a 2009 pdk boxster this year so can share my thoughts:

1) clutch fluid at 6yrs and clutch/trans fluids at 12yrs are the only maintenance for pdk if I remember correctly. These aren't cheap tho and I think you'll have to take it to a Porsche dealer for this

2 cdr30 has a basic 3.5mm aux but I replaced this with a charging/audio cable from iSimple and a pro clip dash mount to use my phone as sat nav/music player

3) I changed the standard wheel to the sports design with paddles. I kept on downshifting by mistake with the toggle buttons - usually at a very inopportune moment! I got a dealer to do it but talked them down to do it at the cost I could buy the wheel for

5) the brake pedal has more travel than most modern cars but once I got used to it I like it as it allows far more modulation. When you need to & stamp on the pedal the brakes are immense

6) I've got this and wouldn't be without it for sport mode & pdk. Loosens the psm and makes the car feel racier even if it's not. I guess if you didn't have it you wouldn't miss it but I would recommend holding out for one with it

8) I've got 19s and it is a firm ride. The damping is great though and I don't find it a problem, even on crappy British roads

I'm tempted to take a trip to get the carnewal gt exhaust mod. Look it up as many prefer it to full on exhaust swaps.

Good luck with your search, this is a great forum, do your homework, be patient and you'll get the right one :-D

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Welcome! Your location is Malaysia so the selection of cars is probably limited. (I was in KL 2008-12 and had an 09 2.9 with 6MT.) If you find a good 09 and it passes inspection go for it! On the brakes, if they are near new, you might try a bedding process- a series of hard brakes from speed but not full stop. Get some heat in them and be sure there is a good layer of pad transfer on the rotors. That might help the braking effectiveness. I had sport chrono and liked it. A friend added the software to his 09 PDK and is very happy with it. It does change the shifting program and shift speed on a PDK in sport mode. If your car doesn't have it the software and button can be added. You may have to go through the dealer for it. Assume it's still SDAP? On the dampers, I'd be surprised if they are worn at 30k. Suggest a close visual for any signs of leaks etc. Good luck, hope to see some photos soon.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sven, you are right let me get used to the sound before making further changes. Finding PSE on 987 is quite tricky for some reason and much more common on 981s here.

Turbosenna, thanks for the suggestions. On the test drive I also inadvertently changed wrong gear. I come from a car with paddles so its more natural for me too. I think British roads are a good comparison but due to the fast development in my area sometimes road conditions change on daily basis! I've been looking at videos of different exhausts on YouTube and here to get a better idea of the real life sounds. Carnewal sounds good too.

Alfaporsche, great post exactly what I was looking for on alcantara renewal! Got to be brave with the clippers or sandpaper though!

Zedcat, terima kasih! Your midnight beauty with SSK and MT was one I was eyeing earlier but the timing wasn't right and someone else managed to give her a good home instead. Sdap is still the main dealer but they have limited units and other dealers bring in UK and Japan spec cars to spice up the market. There are now more Independent workshops so it gives owners more choices. Not many here have mentioned absorber/damper replacements for 987.2 regardless of mileage so wondering as its quite an expensive job here.

·
Incurable Gearhead
962 Posts
I'll weigh on a couple of your thoughts. Swapping the steering wheel (and airbag) is super easy to do. I like Sports Chrono and wouldn't have purchased a PDK Cayman without. I just love being able to tweak the car's demeanor on the fly.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks arch for the feedback. If the car comes without sport chrono I will use std for a while first before adding.

Why other nuggets of advice from other p9'ers?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about comments on the CDR 30 and using it with smartphones music streaming - do most of you use the cable?

or how about the aftermarket warranty? I noticed that the last threads to talk about it are quite old and most here only recommend CPO vs aftermarket warranty....

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-boxster-chat/103982-hunt-over-quick-intro.html

thanks for those who commented and gave feedback...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts