Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many threads are there on P9 and the other Porsche centric forums about aftermarket exhaust? I stopped counting when my head started hurting and I got dizzy. Yeah, it’s that many. So I did what many Porsche geeks would do (or are contemplating doing based on feedback from early adopters like me) and got the loudest one out there: the Fabspeed Race Exhaust. It even says someplace that this is not for road use and is for motorsports only. Yeah right, like I actually read the manual and follow instructions…

I pulled off the OE exhaust (what will now be referred to as the boat anchor) and installed the new shiny stainless steel Fabspeed Race Exhaust. Made some fitment adjustments (sorry Fabspeed but the exhaust NEVER bolts right up without some pushing, shoving and some grunting for good measure too). Lowered the car down off friend Brad’s two post lift (yes beer rent dutifully paid in full) and twisted the key to fire it up.

Oh good Lord, it is LOUD. OK, not as loud as the 928 track car that Brad is building (it has no exhaust past the headers), but is pretty damn loud. So giggling like a couple of school boys about to set all the frogs from loose in the girls restroom, we got in for a run on the back roads. The frequency is pretty boomy up to about 2800 RPM, but after that…WOW, it barks and crackles up to the redline sounding more like a 911 GT3 Cup racer. We ran it up and down the rev range and it was just wonderful, a sonic pleasure as the engine moved into the upper rev ranges. I can hardly wait to get it on the track.

So after the initial excitement I have settled in to live with it for the past couple of months. I took a day trip from DFW down to Austin for a quick meeting and I gotta say the boom (or rather the drone) wore me out. It’s okay at any steady speed over 70 MPH as long as I can place the revs at 3K or more. At that RPM the engine / exhaust exhibits a nice hum, not too intrusive, but if you have to adjust speed or have a hill to climb, get ready for the drone! One thing I am looking forward to is taking it into a multi story garage and seeing how many car alarms I can set off with the exhaust sound. I am willing to bet a bunch. I will park and walk innocently away…what me? Did my car do that? “Must be been a Mustang with glass packs or a rice rocket, these Porsche cars just don’t make that much noise sir.”

A couple of weeks after my Austin trip, my wife and I went to a nearby town (about 70 miles away) to meet her brother. He and his wife are buying a new house and we wanted to go check it out. Before the trip I had a brilliant idea, I provided us both with earplugs and I found that they did cut back on the drone a bit. Overall, for a long trip the earplugs are probably the best option. Just so that nobody gets alarmed, I am talking about the squishy orange kind that goes in the ear, not the over the ear type that totally blocks out sound. These cut the edginess back just enough.

So would I do it all over again and buy the Fabspeed Race Exhaust? No. Probably not, I would buy the regular version from Fabspeed. I think their products are well made and do exactly as advertised and in this case “as advertised” is VERY LOUD. But once I get it on track, I may change my mind again. Will have to wait and see.

On to another subject, I also installed the new Mantis Sport deep oil sump. This is the new fully integrated one that does not use the large spacer between the engine block and the sump cover. It is actually a totally new extended one-piece sump cover. It was beautifully made and looks great on the car. There were some issues getting the right oil pick up spacer from Mantis…remember the Patience is Waiting part from the last column? Hopefully those folks have the spacer issue all sorted out so you do not have to endure my pain. But it is installed and I am looking forward to getting that car with the new sump and exhaust on the track. Hopefully it will work! I am still running street tires and stock suspension so we will see.

I also bought the Under Drive Pulley (UDP) from Mantis, but have not had time to install it. Hopefully I will before the next track event comes up. I figure one to two mods at a time, or as much as my budget will allow. It is all just time and money right? I suspect that is the paradigm for most hobbies’ – time and money. I do not know about you, but the way I figure it is that I spend a disproportionate amount of time (and money) on my hobbies and less time on important things like mowing the lawn. Oh wait…I pay some guys to do that so I spend zero time on it. Wow, I just freed up more time for my hobbies! Brilliant!

Next up: Accusump and something to cool the Power Steering. Like I said – time and money!

See you all next time.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Nice write up :cheers:

The Borla does drone, however when ever is possible I drive with the windows open so that cancels it out and I just enjoy the glorious music that is Borla. It may also explain why I only get 11 mpg...I just love to hear it at WOT.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is one of those arguments for a bi-modal exhaust system.......perhaps a three way switch, bypass closed (quiet), auto mode based upon throttle position and revs, and manual bypass open......for the track days and weekend blasts along a good stretch of road!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
This is one of those arguments for a bi-modal exhaust system.......perhaps a three way switch, bypass closed (quiet), auto mode based upon throttle position and revs, and manual bypass open......for the track days and weekend blasts along a good stretch of road!
Yep, the dual nature is what makes the Capristo so special....and great for keeping teh cops off of your back ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you (literally and figuratively), the drone is only annoying during low throttle acceleration. Steady speeds at or above 3K RPM are okay, but the sound when you get on it...beyond compare.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you give us more info on the Borla race exhaust? I didn't even know they offered two versions.

(and did you sell your Fabspeed?)
I am such an idiot...I put Borla but meant Fabspeed. Fixed it. Hopefully not too many people went to the Borla web site and searched and searched for the exhaust I wrote about. Hey...it happens!

·
Registered
992 Posts
I am such an idiot...I put Borla but meant Fabspeed. Fixed it. Hopefully not too many people went to the Borla web site and searched and searched for the exhaust I wrote about. Hey...it happens!
Ah that makes more sense now. And yes, you will set off some car alarms in those enclosed parking garages ;)

·
Banned
560 Posts
Rob excellent write-up and thank you for the compliments regarding the Race Exhaust. This is the most aggressive system on the market for the Boxster/Cayman, and I have to express that this is oriented for track only because of the sound levels. It's funny because I have been moving these for more daily driven vehicles than strictly race prepped vehicles recently! Actually, I have sold both the Race Exhaust/Maxflo Muffler to a few enthusiasts because they would like to switch systems for the track/street. Since both exhaust use the same catbypass/axle pipes and tips, it's a very quick change.
Rob there was a post a while back regarding the placement of the tips and resonance/drone. If you pull the tips outside of the valence, it will ease the drone inside the cabin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts