Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed an oil catch can in their base (v6) cayenne? I have both a 2009 and 2013 and am trying to keep the intake valves as clean as possible.

If so, please let me know where to start and what you recommend.

Thanks!
David

· Premium Member
130 Posts
I don't have a v6, I have a twin turbo v8. I walnut blasted my intake valves at 75k but honestly, it didn't need it. The only reason I did it was I had everything to do the job. By the time I got everything apart to see them I went ahead and finished the job. I have seen videos of BMW's that absolutely needed them blasted.

I was like you before the blasting. I wanted to install a catch can. I wanted to do everything I could to prevent the vavles from getting dirty. But after all the trouble of getting the manifold off and seeing how little the deposits were I should have waited for the 200k mile mark.

So if you are serious concerned, I recommend you pull the intake manifold and see how dirty they are before you proceed with the catch can. Maybe you have already done this and I am just blowing wind.

Are the v6's especially prone to deposits on the back side of the valves? How many miles do you have on your car?

If you have access to a compressor you can probably do it yourself for a $150 investment. After that initial investment it will cost you $25 each time thereafter. Then you can do it every 50k if you want. This would be the best route. I don't think those catch cans work like we think they will. Plus, where would you put it? My V8 has zero extra space under the hood.

I have a DIY on the walnut blasting somewhere around here. I you decide to go this route I will be more than happy to help you and answer any questions.

· Registered
42 Posts
That is good news, Twodollardog! My Turbo is at 93,000 miles, and I was beginning to consider this.
Are you using any particular products which may be contributing to your cleaner intakes, like top-tier fuel and specific oils (no, don't need an oil thread!)?

· Premium Member
130 Posts
I I go out of my way to fill up with chevron Supreme. I change my engine oil every 5k miles and use Amsoil euro signature for engine oil. I use a bottle of Amsoil fuel treatment at every oil change. Does it make a difference? Who knows. But it makes me feel better to use the best available.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts