Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody changing oil before or at the end of the break in period? I know that scheduled maintenance says 10,000 miles, but my experience is that new cars create a lot of metal filings etc in the first 1-2000 miles. It makes sense to change oil and filter at that point. However, this is also my first P-car.

Any thoughts, comments, or advice?

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Everybody is going to have a lot of opinions on this and its all been discussed before....:)

Modern car engines have a lot more precision in the manufacturing process than engines of yester year. They don't need break-ins and don't need early oil changes. The break-in for a Porsche engine is about 15 minutes to get oil temp above 160 degrees and then hammer the car. (which is not really a break-in since you should always wait for the oil to get warm) That's what they told me at ED pickup and that is what I did. No problems. Break in is being discussed in this thread: http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/72234-break-questions.html

After my first oil change at 10,000 miles, I took the filter home and dissected it. No metal filings. Nothing as expected.

Just my opinion and experience......:cheers:

Reactions: omidoo250

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Anybody changing oil before or at the end of the break in period? I know that scheduled maintenance says 10,000 miles, but my experience is that new cars create a lot of metal filings etc in the first 1-2000 miles. It makes sense to change oil and filter at that point. However, this is also my first P-car.

Any thoughts, comments, or advice?
You can never change your oil too often. In an ideal world, you would have new oil every time you started the engine. :rolleyes:

In real life, Porsche has gone from a 20,000 mile recommendation for oil changes back down to 10,000 miles. Yes, a few years ago they recommended 20,000 miles. Of course, that was for a non-severe service meaning not a bunch of cold starts, mostly highway miles, no competition, not in the mountains, etc. All the normal things car makers call severe or adverse service. Why? From what I understand, because people decided if it could last 20K miles why not 25K miles? Sort of the same reason there is no dipstick anymore. They couldn't get people to actually use the dipstick so they figured they would just push a button.

So go ahead and change it as often as you want. Whether or not it needs it might be debatable but it won't hurt anything but your wallet.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The 87 Carrera i bought new, the manual said 1000 km =620miles for the first oil chg., valve adjustment and 4 wheel alignment. How times have changed? I still do the first oil and filter [email protected] 800-1000m i cant really say it makes a difference, Everybody has their opinion.

I think there are a couple of reasons intervals have gotten longer:
1. lubricants have gotten better as has production tolerances.
2. Manufactures want to show low maintenance costs , it drives sales.

I remember BMW went from calling for 5000 mile changes when you paid to 15000mile changes when they paid maintenance. Funny how that works! carl

·
Registered
358 Posts
No need to mess with the car unnecessarily. There's always the risk of something getting screwed up, or your car getting damaged in some way, particularly if you have to take your car to a dealership or a mechanic to do it.

·
Banned
3,875 Posts
for the mechanically incline.. We have the 1st OIL change kit DIY for the 981 . it has the hazet special tool to remove the filter and a upgraded drain plug and a mahle filter and washer.
but boy it saves a lot of money.

Lemon

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
At 2000, found tiny metal bits in the filter.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I am a proponent of more rather than less. We spend a lot on these cars and $200-$300 a year or twice a year is little cost for better peace of mind. I also think that how the car gets used makes a significant difference in frequency of change. I understand that synthetics do not wear out per se but that is not what I think about...........it is the start and stop of engines not allowed to get to full operating temperature (oil not water) and water collection in the filter and/or in the oil if not fully caught that causes me concern. I live in south Florida, and even here it takes a goodly amount of running before I see oil temperature in the 180+ degree range. One would be surprised. So, I change very 4,000-5,000 (max) even though I strive to get the car fully warmed most times............Others will disagree but,hey, my car my rules :).

·
Registered
785 Posts
If you don't Track your car, no reason to change at 2000 miles. Follow the recommended schdule.
I changed mine at 2000 miles simply because I was going to Track the 981 after the break in 2000 miles.-Richard

Reactions: DFW and Rickyb

·
Registered
257 Posts
I did DIY oil change at 1st 5,000 miles for piece of mind and to see how easy/difficult it would be (it was easy). Since then, I've taken car to P-dealership at recommend intervals for service.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I remember BMW went from calling for 5000 mile changes when you paid to 15000mile changes when they paid maintenance. Funny how that works! carl
Not exactly.

My first BMW was a '97 Z3 which called for 7,500 mile oil changes - with the first 3 years maintenance paid for by BMW. Around 2000 or so, the interval doubled to an average of 15,000 miles because of the advent of OEM synthetic oil. And as the warranty period was extended to 4 years/50k miles, the free maintenance was lengthened accordingly.

But a lot of folks seem to think that BMW's free maintenance meant half as many oil changes, which was not the case.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Had my oil changed at the 4000 mile mark, even though I had only owned the car for 6 months. The main reason was that I wanted to get on a summer schedule for the yearly oil change. Doubt that I will put 10000 miles a year on the car between changes.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I changed mine at the 1500 mile mark. Oil looked brand new, still very amber in color. It was probably a waste of money, but I did it for peace of mind.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Porsche reccomended changing the oil before storing the car. For me, that was just a few miles shy of 2000 miles.

·
Banned
3,875 Posts
ok i am putting this up..for those people who already did their 1t oil change..

4 Mahle OEM oil filters for the 981

x4

and free 4 washers for the drain plug

$77.00 to the lower 48. shipping included..

must be phone orders .. not in the website..

Lemon

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I was planning on having the oil changed at 2-3k miles. Asked the service manager at my dealership for his opinion. He flat out said, no need, 10k is just fine. I was a bit surprised since I was expecting something on the lines of, "Well, the manual states...but, it can't hurt." But not so.

I still might. Besides, they have a decent price at $240 or I'll take it to my indy shop.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If it makes you sleep better, then I don't see why not change it @ 2000 miles.

However, personally, I just don't see what the point is when what Porsche recommended isn't entirely out of whack. I can see why I would wanna change my tranny fluid before I hit 120,000 on the odometer ... but seriously ... 2000 miles on engine oil ?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts