Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a FYI for those doing their own oil changes, you may need more than 8 quarts.

Just did my 3rd oil change on my 2015 2.7 Boxster, at 13,450 miles, and the results are similar to the last change.

Prior to this oil change, I had 2 green bars on my dumbstick. I was up to three bars at 9000 miles, my last change and never added any oil
Proceeded to drain 8 quarts, including the filter oil. I weigh my drain oil due to problems in the past. See older posts, hence the term "dumbstick."
Added 7.5 quarts, drove a bit to warm the oil and now have the yellow triangle and the message "Oil level at minimum"

Added one quart, now at two green bars and 8.5 quarts added.
Added another 1/2 quart, now at three green bars and 9 quarts in.
I still had 8 ounces (1/4 quart) left in the 5 quart jug and added that.
Now I still am at three green bars and 9.25 quarts added.

All measurements were in the exact same space and I waited for oil temp to reach 185F, shut engine off for one minute and took a reading.

BTW, The engine actually holds over 10 quarts; it just does not all drain into the pan. I normally let mine drain for 2 or 3 hours.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks for this.

I'm planning on doing my first oil change on my "new to me" 2013 981. What do you use to reset your Maintenance Interval needed message on the DIC?

Al

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just a FYI for those doing their own oil changes, you may need more than 8 quarts.

Just did my 3rd oil change on my 2015 2.7 Boxster, at 13,450 miles, and the results are similar to the last change.

Prior to this oil change, I had 2 green bars on my dumbstick. I was up to three bars at 9000 miles, my last change and never added any oil
Proceeded to drain 8 quarts, including the filter oil. I weigh my drain oil due to problems in the past. See older posts, hence the term "dumbstick."
Added 7.5 quarts, drove a bit to warm the oil and now have the yellow triangle and the message "Oil level at minimum"

Added one quart, now at two green bars and 8.5 quarts added.
Added another 1/2 quart, now at three green bars and 9 quarts in.
I still had 8 ounces (1/4 quart) left in the 5 quart jug and added that.
Now I still am at three green bars and 9.25 quarts added.

All measurements were in the exact same space and I waited for oil temp to reach 185F, shut engine off for one minute and took a reading.

BTW, The engine actually holds over 10 quarts; it just does not all drain into the pan. I normally let mine drain for 2 or 3 hours.
When you drain the oil is the car level or tilted to the rear? I just did an oil change and it was spot on with the manual 7.8 quarts. But I'd like to change all of my oil not just 80%.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am at a complete loss as to why people won't believe what the manufacturer tells them, and insist on continuing to add additional oil while chasing tick marks on the oil level monitor. Wouldn't it make more sense to tell the dealer to fix the oil level monitor, rather than overfilling with oil to try and make it show what you want it to be.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
It depends how long you drain it. I drain it overnight, since it streams (before dripping) for over an hour, something no other car has done before. They usually start dripping in less than 10 minutes. Also depends on car attitude. To drain the most oil, I tilt my car higher at the front. Also remember oil filter absorbs quite a bit of oil that won't drain out. Anyway, the first (and last) time I changed the oil, poured over 9 quarts to put level at the max of 4 bars, exactly where it was before... but forgot to write it down exactly. Since it still sits at 4 bars now after over 5K miles, next time (very soon), will just add 9 qts, and it should show 4 bars. If not, then I'd add 0.45-qt, and it'd be full then. I always get consistent readings on my 'dumb' dipsticks, but they're not accurate, since each segment can be 0.45-qt. Once you understand how the system works, it's easy to get consistent readings. Oil always at the same temperature, at same location, checked exactly 1 minute after shutting engine off (use the chrono). Easy peasy;).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.