Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how often are people doing oil changes?

My last one was in June and it seems like the next one is basically either 10k miles or 1 year...which in my case will be 1 year. I know that's typical for modern engines...but I also remember 986 owners doing changes every 5k miles. What do people do or recommend?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Has anyone used oil testing? I had been changing my Lexus every 5k miles until I sent it off for testing and found little to no wear. Bumped it to every 7.5k miles.

Matt

·
Registered
437 Posts
I do changes every 5k.

Would never take me a year to drive 5k but I guess I would change it after a year if I hadn't driven enough.

Keep in mind the section from the manual that details oil change frequency has exceptions, like hot or dusty climate, or if you drive your car "hard", the "oil should be changed more frequently." But does not specify how much more frequent.

oil change frequency.JPG

·
Registered
475 Posts
My advice is to use evidence to dictate your oil change frequency. This means Blackstone oil analysis for maybe $25-$30 every once in awhile. With my last car, which was a highly modified 996 Turbo, I had tests done at 7,500 miles - daily driving - the evidence said to run it longer.

I think the perspective (if you don't get your oil tested) is that more frequent oil changes are cheap insurance - so we see people changing oil every 3k-5k miles. OK, that's one way to look at it - it certainly won't hurt anything except there may be no reason to change it yet.

Modern synthetic oils seem to be able to hold up for longer. I am doing 8k - 10k between changes.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Changing the oil more frequently than factory recommendations is a waste of money, unless you are a track junkie. If I participated in regular DEs, I'd cut the interval to 5K miles.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I only put about 6000km a year on my cars, so I change it once before winter storage.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Once a year at 5k miles per year. Usually in the fall before hibernation.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Just curious how often are people doing oil changes?

My last one was in June and it seems like the next one is basically either 10k miles or 1 year...which in my case will be 1 year. I know that's typical for modern engines...but I also remember 986 owners doing changes every 5k miles. What do people do or recommend?
I recommend that you follow the owners manual which is 10k miles on annually. That is the interval I use. This covers worse case driving scenarios (unless you track your car heavily).

·
Registered
437 Posts
I recommend that you follow the owners manual which is 10k miles on annually. That is the interval I use. This covers worse case driving scenarios (unless you track your car heavily).
So what would you recommend when the manual says more frequently for hot, humid, or dusty climates? It doesn't specify any time/distance other than more frequently. How is one to justify what is hot, humid, or dusty or even what more frequently is.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I've lowered my yearly to about 7000 miles a year. Seems like I probably only need one change unless I start tracking.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My favorite mechanic at my Porsche dealer is highly respected, and a top Spec Boxster Racer. He recommends changing at least every 5K miles (or sooner), due to the numerous short trips I take, where the oil may or may not reach proper operating temps before shutting the engine down. He suggested to me that this type of DD operation is even harder on the oil than are Autocrosses or DEs. Like many others, I also view it as inexpensive insurance, so that's my process.

Pat

·
Registered
792 Posts
at least every 5K miles (or sooner), due to the numerous short trips I take, where the oil may or may not reach proper operating temps before shutting the engine down. He suggested to me that this type of DD operation is even harder on the oil than are Autocrosses or DEs. Like many others, I also view it as inexpensive insurance, so that's my process.

Pat
And pregnant in there is the answer: It depends on your driving. I change at 7.5k, if not sooner, as the car is my daily driver on a 50-mile commute and sees no track, DE, or autocross. COuld possibly safely go 10k, but why? I changed twice before 5k when new (1k and 2.5k) and then at 10k and 5 to 7.5k since. Plus, I like getting under the car and looking at the headers and stuff.....

If it was a track car, I'd change much more frequently. But the very same oil is supposed to be good for 15k in my BMW wagon.....

·
Registered
301 Posts
And pregnant in there is the answer: It depends on your driving. I change at 7.5k, if not sooner, as the car is my daily driver on a 50-mile commute and sees no track, DE, or autocross. COuld possibly safely go 10k, but why? I changed twice before 5k when new (1k and 2.5k) and then at 10k and 5 to 7.5k since. Plus, I like getting under the car and looking at the headers and stuff.....

If it was a track car, I'd change much more frequently. But the very same oil is supposed to be good for 15k in my BMW wagon.....
Totally off topic but I love your wheels. If I saw them off the car I probably wouldn't think they'd fit with the 981's aesthetics but they look perfect.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
The recommended for the first change is at 5000 mi, and the second is at 10k or annually, whichever mileage is less. I do an easy 10k a year so it's predictable, but per my 987 experience, depending on how the engine "feels", I might get it done earlier (that happened when I decided to do the 40k maintenance at 36k, it needed new spark plugs, air filter, etc.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
It much depends on how you drive. Frequent short trips are much harder on oil, and so is tracking. Also remember direct-injection is much 'dirtier' than port-injection, therefore it might deplete part of the additive package even sooner. There's no dipstick on 981s, but on my direct-injected cars, oil gets dirty in a hurry, while on port-injected ones it takes much, much longer. But I already knew that; just not the extent. That's why EPA is now calling for DI cars to have freaking particulate filters, just like diesels. Anyway, I won't exceed 7,500 on my car, even though more than half the mileage will be from highway use. But it's also hot and dusty here. Usually put about 5K miles a year on my toy cars. Did the first and only oil change so far at 2,500 miles, to get rid of all the assembly and break-in crap (and install a magnetic plug);).

·
Registered
566 Posts
Changing the oil more frequently than factory recommendations is a waste of money, unless you are a track junkie. If I participated in regular DEs, I'd cut the interval to 5K miles.
Change mine every two DE's. Works out to about twice a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 65 Posts