Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My owners manual says to change the engine oil every 10,000 miles or one year. The on board computer says to change the oil at 20,000 miles or two years. Why is the computer at 20,000 miles?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Oil is cheap - motors are expensive. Have stuck with my mechanic's recommendation of yearly or 6500 miles, whichever comes first for my '06 Cayman S (70 K mi.) and the cars appears to be happy.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
735 Posts
OP car is a turbo 718 and runs hotter than N/A 981, so more frequent oil change is not a bad idea. I have read that quality synthetic oil shelf life is 5 years but of course contaminated with water, some combustion residues, heat & mechanical stress once used in the engine. If you want to gather as much as practical experience from members, mine is every two years or 8,000 Kms (about 5,000 miles) whichever comes first using Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro or Castrol Syntec 5w-40 to my BMW and Mini Cooper. I do the oil change myself and please always be safe working under the car.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It depends how you drive it. Most of my miles are driven hard, so I change my oil and brake fluid every 6 months or 4k - 5k miles, whichever comes first. If you don't put hard miles on it, then I would recommend 12 months or 5k miles, whichever comes first. I think 10k falls into the end of the oil life, and 20k is not safe. The oil change is not cheap, but excellent insurance. I use Torco or Motul oil and Brembo brake fluid.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Myself, I'd follow the computer. Having said that, I don't know of a single manufacturer that allows 2 years between oil changes. So if it's been a year I'd change it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Save for a few track days and/or auto cross events, I stick to the owner's manual on oil change frequency. After a track day weekend or autocross event, I like to have the oil changed.

·
Registered
464 Posts
With my 987 I did a change every 12K and never had an issue.

With the 718, I will be changing every 10K or One year.

For 2018 models the first service is free. Just make sure to get it serviced before the year is up.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My owners manual says to change the engine oil every 10,000 miles or one year. The on board computer says to change the oil at 20,000 miles or two years. Why is the computer at 20,000 miles?
Two things come to mind.
First, are you sure you're looking at the oil change interval with the car's computer? There are three levels of service displayed and I think the first one was the intermediate service at 20k. I'm operating from memory of my 981.
Second, I noticed with my 981 that it seemed like the car's computer was delaying a major service interval (40k). I was happy to attribute it to the spacing of earlier service (first one was before 10k miles) or the car's approval of my driving habits and save some money, but my service advisor told me that sometimes a technician will forget to reset the intervals properly when work is done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.