Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my base 09 Cayman on December 19th and the "service engine in 30 days" light just came on.
I spoke to my service guy at the dealership and he said it was because they took delivery of the car in July and that makes the car one year old
and first oil change should be one year or ten thousand miles.
Any body ever heard of having to get car service after five months of ownership?

·
Registered
92 Posts
i did mine 3 months after ownership for the same reason with 2500 miles on it....but i didnt take to the dealer because of price bought the porsche filter and mobil 1 and had it done elsewhere

·
Registered
78 Posts
Had the oil changed on my 09 Cayman S after two months ownership. These cars sit on dealer lots for several months. The manual says one year or 10,000 so I changed mine as the car was actually a year old at the end of my two month ownership. I would follow the advice Porsche recommends and also have the dealer reset the Service Reminder.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
no light or warning but po has called me twice to tell me i need service...i tell when i bought it and they say oopps

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased a 2007 997.1 with 1000 miles last July, CPOed (with fresh oil). I decided to have oil change at 4000 miles. Dealer did it, no charge.

·
Registered
160 Posts
my 09 was placed at dealer in March 09, I purchased 12/09....changed oil after 2500 miles which I would have done in normal course....I believe in getting early oil out...and go from there...changing it every 6-10K...which gives a mechanic chance to look at car...regularly and early

·
Registered
7 Posts
i did mine 3 months after ownership for the same reason with 2500 miles on it....but i didnt take to the dealer because of price bought the porsche filter and mobil 1 and had it done elsewhere
Does anyone know if changing the oil yourself, ie not using the dealer, voids Porsche waranty? I prefer to do my own as I am a bit anal about it all and don't trust anyone but I don't want to void a waranty. BTW, my CaymanS is just cresting 1800 miles and I definately want the "early oil" out prior to what waranty service recommends.

·
Registered
160 Posts
one reason I like to have the dealer do oil changes, particularly during warranty period, is that those guys see lots of these cars, the Gen 2 is new....I suspect that even Porsche is learning what is right and what might be a problem...but a good skilled set of eyes seeing lots of these cars and having factory training....I think will benefit me in the long term...once the car has been out for a few years and what issues, if any, become known...then any good mechanic trained on Porsche should be fine....even better if PNA becomes a little more forthcoming about technical info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts