Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone -

I have access to a lift and would like to do oil changes myself. Besides the obvious oil (5W-40), plug, filter and tools, what is needed to reset the car's computer? I'm trying to search this forum but can't find anything concrete. Or do I actually have to reset the computer? Can i just change the oil and go? Dealers want around $300 or so around where i am, and I can do everything for under $100.

Thanks so much,
Paul

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Hi everyone -

I have access to a lift and would like to do oil changes myself. Besides the obvious oil (5W-40), plug, filter and tools, what is needed to reset the car's computer? I'm trying to search this forum but can't find anything concrete. Or do I actually have to reset the computer? Can i just change the oil and go? Dealers want around $300 or so around where i am, and I can do everything for under $100.

Thanks so much,
Paul
You'll also need an 8mm hex (allen or socket) to remove/install the OEM drain plug. AFA resetting the computer - I usually don't bother unless/until the indicator light comes on. So, if you are doing an early oil change, it isn't needed. But I'd start looking for a Durametric cable. You can often find a used one on ebay. I added a "watch" on ebay with the word "Durametric" and I get alerts every other week.
AFA filter wrench, Amazon has some 74mm 14 fluke ones that work just fine.
I just bought this one and it is good quality and works great - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q6UEW2/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1
They also have the filters.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll also need an 8mm hex (allen or socket) to remove/install the OEM drain plug. AFA resetting the computer - I usually don't bother unless/until the indicator light comes on. So, if you are doing an early oil change, it isn't needed. But I'd start looking for a Durametric cable. You can often find a used one on ebay. I added a "watch" on ebay with the word "Durametric" and I get alerts every other week.
AFA filter wrench, Amazon has some 74mm 14 fluke ones that work just fine.
I just bought this one and it is good quality and works great - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q6UEW2/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1
They also have the filters.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Dealers want around $300 or so around where i am, and I can do everything for under $100.
True...but having the car at the dealership could give you more than just the oil change.

I picked mine up at the Porsche dealer yesterday - oil change for $313...and was surprised the car drives differently on my way home. Faster throttle response, different rev feeling etc. I checked a few times if I hit the sport + button by accident.
Turns out the car got some software updates. Electric systems were reset etc.
If the car gets back to me like that every time it goes to service I am happy to pay the extra bucks for the oil change.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True...but having the car at the dealership could give you more than just the oil change.

I picked mine up at the Porsche dealer yesterday - oil change for $313...and was surprised the car drives differently on my way home. Faster throttle response, different rev feeling etc. I checked a few times if I hit the sport + button by accident.
Turns out the car got some software updates. Electric systems were reset etc.
If the car gets back to me like that every time it goes to service I am happy to pay the extra bucks for the oil change.
Or just call a dealer, give them your VIN and ask if there's a SW update?

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Supposed to run 0w40, but that's up to you. You can get a knockoff durametric cable on alibaba for $20?? Other than that it's just a normal oil change. Nothing to it. Oh... get a BIG oil catching container and make sure the flow into it is not restricted. Ask me how I know? LOL

·
Registered
146 Posts
Having the car at the dealership could give you more than just the oil change.
+1 on that.

For sure, the dealer-side oil changes cost 2/3 more, more-or-less.

Myself, I know when the car is at the dealer, the techs are not just changing the oil in the by-the-book manner that that they do. They are also connecting the car to the computer (software updates?) and they are giving the car a once over, as well. Topping off the air pressure in the tires, checking the other fluids, etc. There are some other bonuses as well: I get out of the house, I get to take a drive, and the dealer has great coffee!
Then there's the optional vacuum and wash, if requested. :)

To do, or not to do, that is the question.

Depends on what folks like to do, budget, etc. One size does not fit all, and I understand the joy of do-it-yourself.

Enjoy.

-S

·
Registered
747 Posts
+1 on that.

For sure, the dealer-side oil changes cost 2/3 more, more-or-less.

Myself, I know when the car is at the dealer, the techs are not just changing the oil in the by-the-book manner that that they do. They are also connecting the car to the computer (software updates?) and they are giving the car a once over, as well. Topping off the air pressure in the tires, checking the other fluids, etc. There are some other bonuses as well: I get out of the house, I get to take a drive, and the dealer has great coffee!
Then there's the optional vacuum and wash, if requested. :)

To do, or not to do, that is the question.

Depends on what folks like to do, budget, etc. One size does not fit all, and I understand the joy of do-it-yourself.

Enjoy.

-S
You know in a perfect world I could agree with you. My experience is dealers do as little as possible. MY new Cayman that I picked up four weeks ago they couldn't even get the tire pressure right on the PDI..iIf they don't get the easy things imagine the things they miss. Carl

·
Registered
186 Posts
Stole this from someone else on here but after I loosen the oil filter housing I put a plastic bag over it and then finish removing. Helps keep your hands clean and catch any oil that may spill over.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Stole this from someone else on here but after I loosen the oil filter housing I put a plastic bag over it and then finish removing. Helps keep your hands clean and catch any oil that may spill over.
Yeah, I keep forgetting to do that and have several oil-stained tee-shirts in the rag-bag. Since you need to get far under the car (especially on the 9A1 engines) to reach the filter, it is easy to spill either on your chest or, worse yet, your face.

You know in a perfect world I could agree with you. My experience is dealers do as little as possible. MY new Cayman that I picked up four weeks ago they couldn't even get here pressure right on the PDI..iIf they don't get the easy things imagine the things they miss. Carl
Every time my car has been to the dealer they managed to F-up something or fail to do what they promised. Now that I'm out of warranty I'll never go back. If I can't do it myself I'll find a good indy.

You can get a knockoff durametric cable on alibaba for $20??
Those cheap knock-offs only work with some ancient version of the Durametric software. No support for recent 987 or 981 ECUs. I don't know if they will even reset the oil service warning.

Oh... get a BIG oil catching container and make sure the flow into it is not restricted. Ask me how I know? LOL
Yup, 2 gallons of hot oil gushes quickly. I have one of those very common enclosed containers that lays on its side and has a catch basin with a drain in the center. Even when the drain is fully open, it can't keep up with the initial flood of oil. More than once it even closed itself due to the force of the oil flow and I had to reach into the hot oil to open it. Now I completely remove the plug stopper before sliding it under the car.

·
Registered
311 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts