Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this question can be answered

When we change our oil it has been said its best if we let it drain for 30 min. I have done 3 diy changes so far, and might have let it drain for 5 min tops. What additional quantity would you think will drain out if left for 25 more min?

I'm thinking less than few (5-6) ounces or am I wrong?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Only one DIY oil change so far but I would say less than 5-6 oz. I let mine drain more than 5 minutes because I was busy cleaning the oil pan. There was brown oil residue I used brake clean or carburetor cleaner to remove.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Difficult to say, without measuring, but after only five minutes our cars still had a continuous, though thin, stream coming out. I once let it drip until it stopped, and that took over two hours. Maybe six ounces is a good guess, maybe eight. Porsche specifies a 20 minute drain.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I let it drain for a few minutes until it slows to drops. Then I add about a 1/4 quart of new oil and allow that to drain until it slows to drops. My thought is that the new oil will help push out any old lingering oil.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My thought is that the new oil will help push out any old lingering oil.
It may help push a bit of the old oil out on the bottom of the pan but there is far more clinging elsewhere in the engine/oil cooler. Probably boils down to one of those I feel better scenarios which is not bad.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I allow my Gen 2 Cayman S to drain a full Week.
Next oil change please let us know how much additional oil you catch beyond the initial 1 hour mark. Your 1 week seems awful excessive and I'd be itching too much to drive the car. :)
I let it drain for a few minutes until it slows to drops. Then I add about a 1/4 quart of new oil and allow that to drain until it slows to drops. My thought is that the new oil will help push out any old lingering oil.
I like that idea.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Another OCD, like me :cheers:.

·
Registered
806 Posts
993's have an external oil cooler mounted at the front of the car. The cooler, along with the long lines, holds about 2 quarts. There is no way to drain those two quarts. 993's have a total capacity of about 12 quarts, but you only replace about 10 during an oil change. There is actually a statement about the remaining two quarts in the service manual. They say it's normal and don't worry about it. Various experts (Bruce Anderson, etc) have said the same thing. But still, it drives us OCD types crazy! There were discussions on the 993 forums about ways to blow the oil out of the lines, or drill a drain plug into the cooler, etc. I don't know if anyone did anything like that. I know I didn't. My 993 had >100,000 miles on it when I sold it. I saw no adverse effects from leaving 2 quarts of dirty oil in the car at every oil change. Of course I did regular oil changes with Mobil 1.

If two quarts remain in a 993, then I don't think a few remaining ounces in your Cayman will make the slightest difference.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Surely you are draining "old oil" if it takes a week to get it out! "New Oil" is old at that point!

I would offer these ramps as solution to getting more of the oil to drain. I decided to get serious, this way I can get under both ends as needed!
Hammermechanic:picsplz::picsplz:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Surely you are draining "old oil" if it takes a week to get it out! "New Oil" is old at that point!

I would offer these ramps as solution to getting more of the oil to drain. I decided to get serious, this way I can get under both ends as needed!
Hammermechanic:picsplz::picsplz:
Now there is a good idea, for more than just oil change!

Prolly cost more for the oil & filter than it did for the ramps too.
:thanks:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts