Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car in for my first 10,000 oil service at an aftermarket Porsche repair shop in Norhern NJ. It turns out that I have an oil leak and they told me to go back to the dealer and get it done there since it will require warranty work (very honest of them). So, I made an appointment.

The question is will the oil leak require them to drain the oil? I am wondering whether since there is an oil leak, will the oil change now be covered under warranty if it requires them to drain the oil? The funny thing is that the aftermarket place did reset the oil service light but did not perform any service since they suggested I go back to the dealer for the warranty work.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It turned out that they didnt need to drain the oil to fix the leak. No freebie. So, I just decided to get my first 10,000 service done at the dealer while the car was there. $440! seems alot for a first service. $300 for the oil change and $140 for all the other checks.

Is this the going rate?

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
My Cayman S is more than 3 years old with 22,000 miles. I've never spent a cent at the dealer for service. I go to free Porsche Club inspection days at the dealers and get my records updated, service light reset, and learn of any recalls or updates ( I do tip the service technician) . It's not hard to do: oil and filter changes, cabin filter change, air filter change, brake fluid change. Top up coolant and power steering fluid. Check torque on wheels lug bolts. Also change summer/winter wheels every fall/spring. And, I will change out the brake pads when the time comes. You can learn to do all these things from Articles section of this web site. I buy the parts from sponsor Suncoast, and simple tools like (two) floor jacks, jack stands, oil drain pan, filter removal tool, brake bleeder kit, torque wrench, etc. at any auto parts store. Important to keep all receipts and make detailed notes in your service booklet so your warranty remains valid. Get a friend to help you. Your wife will be proud of you...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got my first oil change at my Porsche Dealer and it was $210 including checks.
How is that possible with 100 dollars worth of oil that is needed + 125 dollar labor rate + filters + plus checks. I wonder if they just changed your oil??

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
How is that possible with 100 dollars worth of oil that is needed + 125 dollar labor rate + filters + plus checks. I wonder if they just changed your oil??
i just got my oil changed this morning at the only dealer in the state and paid $220, and about $16 of that was for the state safety inspection...and yes, it was only an oil change (they also did warranty work...they replaced the center brake light gasket at no charge). they also did a quick wash.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
j_copeland - are you referring to Tech inspections for DE events, or is this something else? I am not aware of any free Porsche Club inspection days - at least in my area.QUOTE]

Here in the Columbus, Ohio area we have two Porsche dealers, and both offer free service/inspection clinics. The dealers obvoiusly do this to develop good will and to encourage the sale of service and new cars. Here is an E-mail sent out a few days ago by our local Porsche Club President regarding one of the clinics:

Byers Imports would like to invite you to our Annual Service Clinic. At this Clinic, we will perform Comprehensive Vehicle Inspections at NO CHARGE. These complimentary inspections often identify minor problems before they become major ones, and can save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in repair expenses when we catch them early.
FREE Multi-Point Inspections from Porsche Certified Technicians
FREE MORPCA Driver Education Tech Inspection
FREE Meet Porsche Vendors from across the Country
FREETech Clinics
FREEFood and Beverages
FREE Door Prizes
And Much, Much More!

Our Service Clinic Will Be Held: Saturday May 1st from 8:00am to 3:00pm

THIS CLINIC IS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY, so please call today and reserve your spot! 614-552-5465

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.