Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i had my first service, 2900 RMB for an oil change basically.
when i watched them test the oil level, they stop at the 2/3 block.

i was told its best to leave it when it shows 2/3 or you might get overfill warning.

is this true ? do you fill it all the way full or leave it at 2/3 ?

also i was told its best to change the oils every 5000 kilometers. oweing to the dusty roads and bad air here in china.

are these advices i should follow, or are they just trying to make more money ?

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
2/3rd's full is fine. The overfill warning is new to me. Currently, I'm right up to the full marker (depending on ever so slight incline or not) and haven't seen any warning on overfill.

Personally, I change my oil every 5k miles (~8k kilometers) and even then I think some members might think that's overkill. If it were another vehicle and I was using non-synthetic, I'd change it every 5k kilometers.

I hope this helps.
-Moto

·
Registered
121 Posts
2/3rd's full is fine. The overfill warning is new to me. Currently, I'm right up to the full marker (depending on ever so slight incline or not) and haven't seen any warning on overfill.

Personally, I change my oil every 5k miles (~8k kilometers) and even then I think some members might think that's overkill. If it were another vehicle and I was using non-synthetic, I'd change it every 5k kilometers.

I hope this helps.
-Moto
Hey moto, i have an 08' cayman s which i changed the oil, my self for the first time and added the 8.25 quarts like it said but my indicator told me to check the oil. when i took the oil cap off there was a small puff of smoke. First is this normal and second, i added another .35 quarts and the indicator shows full is that too much.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I change it once a year at the dealer, and it's currently showing full, which I've called and asked them about and got the usual "it's okay don't worry about it" it's currently parked for the winter but if it dosen't move off the full mark once I start driving I may take it back to drain out a little.....

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after a few long trips, it seem the mechanics advice on 2/3 full during oil change is good advice.

somehow the gage shows full now after a few trips, both warm or cold.

i would imagine if i had filled it myself and to full during the change, it would turn out to be overfilled when i actuall drove it.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Hey wayneoinla,

Sorry for the late response as I just saw your post. I have never seen a puff of smoke coming out of my oil cap. That seems odd. Was this after an extensive drive? As for the 2nd question, as long as the car is on a flat surface and the gauge doesn't go beyond the full marker, you should be good to go.

Like anything else you will find multiple opinions on same subject matter.

I hope this helps!
-Moto

Hey moto, i have an 08' cayman s which i changed the oil, my self for the first time and added the 8.25 quarts like it said but my indicator told me to check the oil. when i took the oil cap off there was a small puff of smoke. First is this normal and second, i added another .35 quarts and the indicator shows full is that too much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.