Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those interested in these sorts of things.

The lead engineer at my OPC has informed me that they recommend no oil change required on new cars (fresh from the factory) and thus my first service will be in 2 years.

This conflicts with some of the forum posts I have seen so i thought I would post to give the current guidance on this from Porsche.

Cheers,
Carl.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thank you for the info. I think it depends on what "new" is. Fresh out of the factory I would say you are fine. I bought a brand new model year 2008 in late 2009. It sat in the showroom with 4 miles on it for over 1 year. I had the oil service done after break in period.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Same here. I bought a leftover 2008 CS in August and had the oil changed at 1000 miles. I was concerned since the car sat for over a year. Only had 46 miles on it when I purchases.

On my 99 Boxster I had my first oil change at 5000 miles.

You probably don't need to change it that soon but with this large of an investment why not?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thank you for the info. I think it depends on what "new" is. Fresh out of the factory I would say you are fine. I bought a brand new model year 2008 in late 2009. It sat in the showroom with 4 miles on it for over 1 year. I had the oil service done after break in period.
Same here. I did the first oil change at the end of break in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've followed the manufacturer's recommendations on my 07, changed the oil at 20,000 miles. Did the same on my BMW's, which averaged about 17,400 miles before their computers said to change it. Just my $.02.......not trying to start an oil thread. :)

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I would believe that the Porsche engineers know more about their cars than most anyone else here. So by all means you can follow the factory recommendations without a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
The lead engineer at my OPC has informed me that they recommend no oil change required on new cars (fresh from the factory) and thus my first service will be in 2 years.

This conflicts with some of the forum posts I have seen so i thought I would post to give the current guidance on this from Porsche.

Cheers,
Carl.
I've read a lot of weird posts on this forum, but I've never seen one that recommends an oil change for cars fresh from the factory. Can you point to one of those threads?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey there, there were a couple of thread's regarding oil changes prior to the 20k/2 year service interval. Can't be bother to dig them out, it's Sunday after all :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
My local garage owner, who races 2 of his 4 Porsches, also advised me not to change the oil on a factory car until the first service. His reason was the oil used by the factory was higher quality than can be purchased on the market. Not sure whether this is true... thought they used Mobil 1.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
My local garage owner, who races 2 of his 4 Porsches, also advised me not to change the oil on a factory car until the first service. His reason was the oil used by the factory was higher quality than can be purchased on the market. Not sure whether this is true... thought they used Mobil 1.
Don't know about this claim, although Porsche may add some sort of additive that I don't know about....

Changing the oil too early is a bad thing.

Although not publicly announced there have been several instances with many manufactures (Porsche, VW, Honda, etc.) where changing the "factory" oil out too early is not a good thing.

Many past Porsche 928 GTS engines had a ring seal problem when the factory oil was changed out too early. The rings would not seat in properly causing excessive oil consumption. Some of these engines would then use a quart of oil every 500 -1000 miles. VW VR6 engines had some problems along with some Honda S2000s.

"Overthinking" the people who actually engineered and built the engine is not a good thing. You may think you are doing your engine well with early oil changes, but it could do more harm than good.

·
Beach Nut
99 Posts
Personally I believe that factory intervals are set as much for political reasons as for engineering one. My 2004 15k interval went to 20k in 2005 due to much improved engine surfaces or much improved oil?

And filter changes every other oil change? Hmmmm. Filtration sufficient or less filters in the landfill?

Even ZDDP levels in approved oils cut for fear of cat damage and therefore possible pollution increases. Engine life vs cat life. I'll take engine longevity over the cats any day.

As far as "new car" oil changes I'm assuming the advice was not to change break-in oil, which Porsche does say is not needed. I held my breath and waited 5k miles (1 year) for my first change. Still not sure if that was too long to wait, but oil analysis has found no problems.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts

Cheers,
Carl.[/QUOTE

Sorry, too lazy at the moment to look, but dosen't the manual call for oil changes every 12k miles or once a year. It used to be 20k miles but the guys who don't put on the mileage may never get their oil dropped, so they now recomend the lower mileage and/or at least once a year not at the 2 year interval, have a peak at yur manual......:cheers:

·
Registered
12 Posts

Cheers,
Carl.[/QUOTE

Sorry, too lazy at the moment to look, but dosen't the manual call for oil changes every 12k miles or once a year. It used to be 20k miles but the guys who don't put on the mileage may never get their oil dropped, so they now recomend the lower mileage and/or at least once a year not at the 2 year interval, have a peak at yur manual......:cheers:
The local dealer's service manager told me that the interval went from 20k to 12k miles due to increased alcohol content in gasoline. If so, this interval should be adopted by owners of older cars as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The local dealer's service manager told me that the interval went from 20k to 12k miles due to increased alcohol content in gasoline. If so, this interval should be adopted by owners of older cars as well.
With the many engine builders and independents we deal with, it's become pretty much commonplace to recommend a 5,000 mi/6 month interval. Add any track time (DE's), and that means you need them more frequently. We recommend no more than 10 hours or two DE days + normal street miles.

On long drain intervals, you might be able to get to the 12,000 miles, but by that point, the TBN reserve is gone and you have high moisture and fuel intrusion in the oil, all bad things for the engine.

Remember, oil is cheap, rebuilds are expensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts