Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My year old 09 C4 Cabriolet uses about a quart of oil every 600 miles. I'm told by Porsche and the dealers that this is normal as I have only 8900 miles on the car.

I previously owned a 2000 Boxster and a 1987 Carerra Cab and do not recall going through oil like this.

Any remedies, suggestions or confirmation that oil usage will decrease after about 10K miles?

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
There is a lot of discussion about this problem on the internet. It appears to be related to DFI, but there may be other features of the new 9A1 block that contribute. We'll have to see if the 09 3.4L engines will be affected, but it seems likely. I would keep track of your oil consumption. I would only be concerned if the consumption increases over time.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
Some do, some don't. Two of my P-cars use absilutely nothing and they other one about a quart every 6,000 or so. I would just roughly watch it in terms of increase and oil spots underneath the car. Other than that it is normal. Some more, some less.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
a quart every 600 miles is normal ? keep an eye on it? its the exon valdez now....how can it get worse? any visable smoke ?

·
Registered
806 Posts
A quart every 600 miles is close to the limit of what Porsche allows before they consider the oil burning to be a problem worth rectifying (e.g. warranty rebuilt engine). But being at the limit and being normal are two different things, at least in my opinion. There's a bell curve of oil usage, and 1 quart every 600 miles would be at the far left of that curve. The far right would be those cars that never burn a drop. The cars in the middle of the bell curve, e.g. most cars out there and those that most people would consider "normal," probably burn a quart every 4 to 6,000 miles, somewhere in that range.

·
Registered
561 Posts
After spending 100K+ on a new car, one quart of oil every 600 miles with 8900 miles is not acceptable. It will not change in the next couple of thousand miles.

Have owned two new Porsches, and neither of them ever needed oil between oil changes. One used one mark of oil during break in then used zero oil until I traded it in with 16K miles. My CS didn't use any oil during break in nor in the 6K miles since, zero, none. Your car has a problem, make them fix it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It seems to be a common problem with the DFI engines. I've nicknamed my car the screaming soot bomb as it will blow a huge cloud of smoke/soot whenever I floor it. Mine seems to be eating about 1 QT per 1K miles and I think the two things are definitely related.
On the positive side, its made buying matte black exhaust tips a moot point as they turned that color themselves...

09 911S (C2)

·
Registered
543 Posts
My daily a 08 GTI w/DFI and it uses 1qt of 0w40 every 5k miles with plenty of soot on the tips. My non DFI Cayman uses zero oil like most every other car I've ever owned.

Assume we know what DFI is and how it works.
What is the exactly is the difference in DFI that causes the oil burn?

My thought would be fuel thinning of the oil. But for my theory to work there would be excessive blow by correct? As a quick blow by test I have removed the oil fill cap, or even the dipstick on many engines while at idle and only with the DFI will it just about die, when either is removed, unlike any other engine. Don't get me wrong I don't think the engine has any problems, just something I noticed. It would almost have something to do with the compression stroke with the addition of fuel near TDC.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
My year old 09 C4 Cabriolet uses about a quart of oil every 600 miles. I'm told by Porsche and the dealers that this is normal as I have only 8900 miles on the car.

I previously owned a 2000 Boxster and a 1987 Carerra Cab and do not recall going through oil like this.

Any remedies, suggestions or confirmation that oil usage will decrease after about 10K miles?
Completely normal. I have a 2009 C4S and experienced the very same thing. I am now at a little over 10000K miles and the oil consumption has definitely decreased considerably. I was very concerned when I noticed how much it was burning after first buying the car. I spoke to 2 Porsche dealers to make sure. I kept an eye on it and it is fine. I also posted a note about this on the PCA website and was told it takes time for the rings to seat? Not sure how true but you should see it decrease on the burning of the oil. By the way, I have a 2008 Cayman S which has had no oil burning issues. Different engine though! Keep in mind that driving habits also affect oil usage. This car is amazing! Fabulous engineering.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I did 3700miles in 18months. Mainly town driving. I did a full oil change at 2000miles. When I check my meter today, it was very near the bottom line! However, I got no soot on my tailpipe (But I got PSE) Otherwise my car is running well doing around 23 to 25mpg!

My car is going to have the powerkit retrofitted this week. I will ask the car mechanic to take a look at the engine to see whether there is any excessive carbon bulid up on the pistons!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't believe it's a DFI related issue. DFI's have been known to produce soot regardless of oil consumption. I think it's purely an "engine thing". I've had the full range of consumers. For ref:

STi (boxer 4): 1 qt every 5k
EVO (I4) almost nil even with regular track days and 120hp over stock
Lexus IS250 zero
C6 Z06 (V8) zero
997 C2S (boxer 6) 1qt in 7K
A3 (I4) 1qt every 3.5K
335i DFI zero
CS DFI (after break in, zero in 4k miles)

That said, 1 qt every 600 miles is f'd up and I would be complaining to PCNA; loudly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 997 oil issue also. Mine is a 2009 Carrera S with 36000 Kilometers. I've been through five liters of oil since new. Two different dealerships I''ve taken it to here in Germany insist this is normal. As I have occasionally seen oil smoke out of the exhaust under maximum acceleration, I am skeprical that the cylinders rings are not doing their job. Because this does not happen consistently, the dealership wasn't concerned. I've had only two other issues with this car.

1. In the first 5000 km I noticed what sounded like a failed bearing whine from the engine. The dealership relplaced the water pump under warranty because the bearings on the pump had in fact failed.

2. I've been through the tires in lightning speed. The Pirelli P Zeros were used up in 28,000 km in front and 33000 km in the rear. I have not been unduly driving it to the limit. I understand that they were designed especially for Porsche. Does anyone have a suitable tire substitute with more durability without sacrificing much grip?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't know how you drive your car, but I used to go through a set of Michelins in 9000km on my Boxster S. Without burnouts, just dynamic driving. On the Carrera S I do not expect more then 7000km from the rears.
Don't use tyres with "N" marking it you want mileage. They are specified by Porsche for their cars and have softer compounds...

·
Registered
7 Posts
7000-9000km tire wear out is extreme. Thanks for the tip on the "N" marking. I'll keep it in mind when shopping for my next set of tires.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
2. I've been through the tires in lightning speed. The Pirelli P Zeros were used up in 28,000 km in front and 33000 km in the rear. I have not been unduly driving it to the limit. I understand that they were designed especially for Porsche. Does anyone have a suitable tire substitute with more durability without sacrificing much grip?
30k kms is not bad IMHO, because regardless of them being Porsche 'N' tyres they are first and foremost a performance tyre and tehrefore are softer than your average passenger car tyre.

I find the handling (dry) on the P Zeros awesome, and all round the PS2's are great, but both are softer than Bridgestones, Contis or Goodyears it seems and if wear was my primary concern I'd stay away from P Zeros and PS2's.

Options you could try would be Goodyear F1 Asymmetric, as these have good reports and people on here report good lifetime, however they are not N-Spec tyres as required by Porsche. The other option would be the Bridgestone RE050 is not a favourite tyre for the performanced biased folks, but has a great lifetime and is N-Spec. Unfortunately I can't recall much on the Contis...but do a search and you should dig up some opinions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
30k kms is not bad IMHO, because regardless of them being Porsche 'N' tyres they are first and foremost a performance tyre and tehrefore are softer than your average passenger car tyre.

I find the handling (dry) on the P Zeros awesome, and all round the PS2's are great, but both are softer than Bridgestones, Contis or Goodyears it seems and if wear was my primary concern I'd stay away from P Zeros and PS2's.

Options you could try would be Goodyear F1 Asymmetric, as these have good reports and people on here report good lifetime, however they are not N-Spec tyres as required by Porsche. The other option would be the Bridgestone RE050 is not a favourite tyre for the performanced biased folks, but has a great lifetime and is N-Spec. Unfortunately I can't recall much on the Contis...but do a search and you should dig up some opinions.
REGARDLESS of the N-rating on the tires, the important thing to look at is the UTQG, this is the tread-wear rating. The lower the number the more grip and the less the tire will last. There is not such thing as getting a tire that will last longer WITHOUT sacrificing grip, you gotta choose which is important to you.

for example, all ps2's in size 235-35-19 have a UTQG of 220, weather it is the N-rated, R-rated(audi) or just the regular ps2. For reference, the pilot sport cup has a treadwear of 80

·
Registered
60 Posts
2011 911TT no measurable consumption from new to 500miles. Still reads full on the display. It's doing better than 08 Cayman.

--Ed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts