Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave into replacing my factory drain plug and got the aluminum (magnet) drain. The first unit cracked and leaked……was given another “improved” unit and used that a few times till…..yup AGAIN cracked and leaked!!!! So annoyed!!! I found this stainless steel unit and WOW, LOVE IT!!!! It has a nice shallow 17mm head and no it does not protrude any more than other parts of the car.

Listen there is a fine line of feeling the washer crush squeeze and the stripping of threads from over torque. Any person that has changed sparkplugs will know two things need to occur. One a good seal and feel of the crush washer seating down and second the need for a good tightening torque so that nothing comes loose down the road. The same theory applies to drain plugs; typical by torque application or up to a one quarter turn to seating the aluminum gasket.

The new stainless steel unit also has a magnet!! Just thrilled along with my titanium lug bolts this whole thing is settled! I highly recommend this unit and would love to know anyone else’s thoughts! Spare me the dissimilar metal theory….spark plugs go into aluminum heads all the time!

Keep on enjoying the ride!!!
Water Gas Circle Auto part Ceiling
Product Font Material property Audio equipment Circle

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I also had one of the aluminum/magnet ones crack and leak, so I had to go back to the OEM plug. I don't really care for those, though, since they are so soft and it's easy to strip the hex. So this sounds like a good solution. Thanks for the referral!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts