Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Cayman Base. The last couple of times that I have changed the oil and filter on it I went by my Porsche Dealer and picked up oil change kit OPB 115 403 A. Each kit contains the filter, the filter housing, and the O ring for my Cayman. When I get under the car I remove the old filter housing and it comes off smoothly with no problems. I then open the kit and take the new filter housing with a new filter in it and try to install it on the car. However, within one turn of the new filter housing I can feel it bind and try to cross thread and go on crooked. I have put oil on the new threads but it always feels like it is binding and trying to cross thread and I can never get it to make more than one turn before it binds. I can then take the old filter housing, put the new filter in it and the old housing will screw on as smooth as butter. No binding, no cross threading. So I wind up choosing to put the old housing back on the car and leave the new housing off. This has happened with the last two oil change kits I have purchased from the dealer and they were purchased at least a year apart. When I take the old filter housing and put it side by side with the new filter housing they both look the same. They both have coarse threads and the threads match up. But when the new one goes on the car it binds while the old one just screws right on with no problems. Has anyone else had this problem with the oil filter housings?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I have never seen anyone else report this in the forums over the years so far, however I have no personal experience with this because I’ve used the same plastic canister for nine years without issue, and only change the filter cartridge.

This year‘s oil change I installed the L&N Engineering spin on filter adapter which replaces the cartridge style filter with a regular NAPA standard filter, so that is also an option for you if you want to completely do away with the canisters all together.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Are you sure it is binding due to cross-threading? My canister always felt weird while turning (both on and off). But if you can get one full turn (especially with those course threads) you are not cross-threading. So maybe yours is like my original 12-yr old can. It just takes more torque to install. Just make sure the o-ring is in the correct groove so you don't get leaks.

Reactions: Cayman Ed

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
My question would be why change the filter canister? If it's not damaged, there's no reason to change it out. Mine is almost 9 years old and still functioning as designed. Also, on previous BMW's and Audi's I never changed the canister.
Factory recommendation, but I don't see where your observation is wrong. I never had any problems till I put a new cannister on, then I experienced the same refusal of the new part to smoothly tighten. Then like ICNU I decided to go spin on, it's so much better, the filters are cheaper and it's obviously cleaner to switch. In fact the Mahle filters are such a good deal you can change them twice to one cannister cost, just my opinion.

·
Administrator
2,000 Posts
My question would be why change the filter canister? If it's not damaged, there's no reason to change it out. Mine is almost 9 years old and still functioning as designed. Also, on previous BMW's and Audi's I never changed the canister.
On my '11 Turbo Cayenne - after 100k+ miles the canister started leaking oil. That was after an oil change with a new O ring (and filter obviously). At that point I thought the housing had done it's duty for 11 years and a lot of miles - so why not treat the car to a new oil filter housing? I swapped them out and the leak went away. There was no obvious damage to the housing or the O-ring, but there'ya go - a new one stopped the leak. I'll be happy if the new one lasts as long as the first one.

Obviously YMMV..

Reactions: Platinum5150

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Same experience on my 987.2. The factory recommendation to replace the housing is due to the bypass valve inside. That being said, I ended up reusing the old housing as it spun back on easy and the replacement felt like it was binding. Did this for several changes until at one point I noticed it wasn't sealing well. I then installed the new one using a cap wrench and slowly tightening it to make sure it went on straight. No issues and it spins easier with every oil change since.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have encountered this new canisters being tight issue as well. This was not only on the 987 but also on 982, some Audi models and even on a Gallardo. The process Searocko mentioned aligns with what I do as well. One addition is when installing a new canister I will do an initial install without the filter or o-ring to help seat the threads then remove it and reinstall with the filter and o-ring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had the exact same experience with my 2009 987.2. I replace the canister every year or two for two reasons... (1) it is the recommended procedure per the Porsche service manual, since it contains the bypass valve/spring within it, and (2) I can buy the OEM bundle 0PB-115-403-A that includes the filter cartridge (0PB-115-466-A), canister (0PB-115-433-A), and the o-ring (0PB-115-499-A) for $23-$26 from the dealership, which is about the same price as buying just the cartridge and the o-ring separately.

The 'trick' that I use whenever I am going to install a new canister is that after I drain the oil and remove the old filter and canister, I "dry fit" the new canister before I install it with the filter inside it. In other words, I just thread the new canister on and off a time or two, before I put the filter in it. I find it is much easier to work with this way, in order to get the threads "broken in" a little.

When I install the new filter cartridge, I "pop" one end into the canister first (to depress the end of the filter cartridge a little) and then I pull it out and "pop" the other end into the canister. This way the end of the filter cartridge that will be facing the engine has already been pre-indented, to help it go on a little easier. And, lastly, with the new filter cartridge inside the new canister, I fill the canister 50%-75% with new oil, before I thread it onto the engine (this is why it is a lot easier for me to "dry fit" the new canister onto the engine before I insert the new cartridge and oil in it).

-Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts