Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering is it normal to see a slight bit of oil in the exhaust tube ends? It is hardly any but I noticed it before and wiped it away and now it is back very little though???

·
Registered
508 Posts
Are you sure it's oil and not water and soot? Hard to imagine oil making it through combustion, catalytic converter and muffler to make it to the exhaust tips.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
How does it feel ?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
We need more information about your oil consumption, does the oil or whatever smear when you try to rub it off or is it tar like? Does your car smoke on startup? Usually your cats will take care of /burn any oil, except for startup smoke. That is unless you have a catless exhaust, which then you may have some oil residue on your tube ends.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We need more information about your oil consumption, does the oil or whatever smear when you try to rub it off or is it tar like? Does your car smoke on startup? Usually your cats will take care of /burn any oil, except for startup smoke. That is unless you have a catless exhaust, which then you may have some oil residue on your tube ends.
I will have to check...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Kind of dry if I remember correctly...
That's normal. Condensation in the exhaust after sitting for a bit will mix with the soot and can spit black water droplets out of the tips on initial startup. The water in it will dry leaving a dry, powdery soot on the floor. That is not what oil in the exhaust looks or feels like. Oil will always be oily.

My garage floor has a light grey epoxy coating on it, and I keep a small rug under the rear bumper to catch these startup soot drips.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's normal. Condensation in the exhaust after sitting for a bit will mix with the soot and can spit black water droplets out of the tips on initial startup. The water in it will dry leaving a dry, powdery soot on the floor. That is not what oil in the exhaust looks or feels like. Oil will always be oily.

My garage floor has a light grey epoxy coating on it, and I keep a small rug under the rear bumper to catch these startup soot drips.
Ok great, thanks I will check it out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts