Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil & filter in my 06 CS this weekend for the first time since I recently bought it. I added just over 8 quarts of new oil but even after the car sat for a long time the oil indicator was still flashing the bottom bar. I tried adding a little more over time and after 9.5 quarts it only was 2 bars above the bottom arrow. As a test I kept adding oil to see what it would take to say it was full. After 10.5 quarts the meter was at the top arrow or second from top bar. I've since drained a quart out so I'm still at 9.5 quarts and it again registers only half full. What's going on here? Could my sensor be shot? I'm not sure what to do. :(

Greg

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Perhaps you didn't wait long enough for the sensor to properly work? It takes a long time to register if warm. Give it over night and try again when cold and on a flat surface before jumping to the alarm mode. If your readings were correct before the oil change it probably is still correct if the oil change was done properly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had waited overnight for the last couple of readings. After leaving it overnight with 10.5 quarts it still said it was at the top arrow. After I drained a little bringing it to 9.5 quarts I left it over night again and it still said 2 bars above the bottom arrow. Each time I checked in my garage which is level. This is why I am so confused.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Don't blame you for being confused. It does sound like the sensor but why would it go bad at the same time of an oil change? Coincidences don't happen usually. Perhaps you need to reboot everything by disconnecting the battery and leaving it for awhile and then connecting it again. After that it will take a short drive with a couple of lefts and rights to get everything reporting correctly again. If that doesn't solve it then the sensor must not be working. On the other hand it is still under warranty and you might want to let Porsche deal with this and have them check out the car before the soon expiring warranty is up thereby killing two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You had stated that you had recently purchased your '06 CS. By chance it hadn't been fitted with an "Deep Oil Sump"? If so there is no problem ;).

zornet :):burnout:
Great question! I have no clue. Can I tell by looking at it or would I have to take it apart?

On a side note, I checked it again this morning and it only shows 1 bar.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I looked at the article you linked to and just went out to the car and to take a look. It does look like it has a sump extension but I attached a picture so you guys could confirm it for me.

The next question would be, what is the proper amount of oil for this? It took about 10.5 quarts for the meeter to read full but I would like to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks

·
Former Member
1,685 Posts
So I looked at the article you linked to and just went out to the car and to take a look. It does look like it has a sump extension but I attached a picture so you guys could confirm it for me.

The next question would be, what is the proper amount of oil for this? It took about 10.5 quarts for the meeter to read full but I would like to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks
There is NO doubt you do have the Deep Oil Sump. Just add oil slowly, checking the level via the bars that you've come familiar with ;).

PS: Welcome to P-9.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for the help! You guys are great!

...and thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
There is NO doubt you do have the Deep Oil Sump. Just add oil slowly, checking the level via the bars that you've come familiar with ;).

PS: Welcome to P-9.
Good call Zornet. I would never have come to that conclusion.
+1 - Had no idea Zornet was clairvoyant... all that oil had to be going someplace... good call.

brad

·
Former Member
1,685 Posts
Your Welcome doubledge and thanks SF & brad. Like Brad mentioned "all that oil had to be going someplace" :eek:.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts

Thanks
Double:

I have an extended sump and the shop that put it in for me failed to get the level right. It's down about a quart. I think they put in the factory specified amount.

Because of the massive and now extended sump (I think the extension adds about a liter (little over one quart) to the full mark. Because this car has essentially a dry sump system, getting the level perfect is far from critical. Don't overfill and don't let it get down much below half. If you're going on a DE, you should have it precisely topped up because you'll be driving sideways half the day and don't want to have the oil pumps pumping air in long, high speed turns. That's the reason for a sump extension...It's an ounce of prevention for track days.

Normal street driving, even sporting street driving, is not going to be affected much by the oil level so long as you aren't overfilled or are really, really low.

I like to get things "right" as much as the next guy, but you've got quite a bit of leeway on this oil level thing, so don't fret too much. Sounds like you got your best answer from Zornet already on what to do. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
2nd, I like the quick thinking! (Wait, did you guys prearrange this???)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts