Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last session of the weekend at CoTA, with a fresh oil change a few days before arriving at the track and the oil in the green, top level on the indicator as it was at delivery and kept there since, I had a warning message that was strange.
"Oil exceeds maximum level, may be operated safely".
Came on out of the clear blue, I didn't add any oil and I checked it on more than one occasion during the weekend.

Okay, so I head for the grid since it can be "operated safely".
Oil pressure seems a tad high on minor acceleration, head up the hill to turn 1 and I'm seeing 48psi on the gauge/meter, exiting 2 on full throttle and it's at 56psi and just short of the red zone on the right end of the gauge. So I back it down and drive offline almost 3 miles back to the pit.

I talk to an experienced Porsche guy (not a trained P tech) and he's got no answers.
So I get the car packed up and ready for the 235 mile trip home.
Start the car to leave and all is normal, no warning light and pressure is perfect. Drive home and all is well.
Talk to my SA and he's seen this before, transient event, sometimes they replace the sensor sometimes not.

Bummer to miss that last session though, the previous session was cancelled when a CTS-V went straight into the fence at turn 11, just as we got the green flag.

And I asked about tires in another thread and decided to go with R comp Toyo 888's, they seemed to work well:
Speedometer Vehicle Car Gauge Auto part

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've gotten these issues a number of times. I'm beginning to REALLY dislike the digital dip stick! It has swings!! Just drain a little off, and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'm not sure if this is an oil level issue. I overfilled mine deliberately once when going on track and didn't get any error messages. I would be more inclined to suspect a faulty sensor.

Agree on the 888's. I've been using them for around five years now.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I've gotten these issues a number of times. I'm beginning to REALLY dislike the digital dip stick! It has swings!! Just drain a little off, and you should be fine.
Agreed--the digital oil level display can show increases or decreases in oil level on very small increments of oil.
I came back from a recent oil change with the display showing one increment down from full. I added 3 oz and it went to full, despite
the increment showing it was .5L down.When trying to bring it to full take it slow..
BTW, the shop manual says anything more than .6l over full must be drained--maybe that triggers an error warning.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The warning light came back on this morning. The car sat level overnight, so I'm inclined to think it's a sensor.

·
Registered
949 Posts
If I recall correctly from the manual, the full level is one notch below the top notch. If you have all bars, it is in fact overfull.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I recall correctly from the manual, the full level is one notch below the top notch. If you have all bars, it is in fact overfull.
Correct. The top block was empty and all others were green over 500 miles and 7 track sessions.
Then the top block filled and all went yellow.
Sometimes analog beats digital.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Having had oil leak into the coolant on my 986, I would be scared that coolant might be leaking into my oil. And there's no coolant bottle to easily check the coolant level, either. I want analog.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sometimes this happens with increased temperatures (slight increase in volume from hot oil), and the G-forces of track use (Oil sloshing to the upper limits of the tank. This would be my best guess. If you have long sweeping corners with high G-forces I would assume its easy to trigger a warning if all the oil is pushing to one side of the oil tank.

I'm no expert but if you drove home with no issues this would be my best guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts