Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Over the weekend I did my first oil change on my 987.2 Cayman S. Everything went well. I added ~7 3/4 qts of oil. Checked the oil level and it was one bar below the top. Now after work today when I checked the oil level it says its overfilled. I'd prefer to wait until I have another reason to jack up the car to drain the extra oil. I am going to be swapping out my street brake pads before my DE later this month. I'll probably put ~200 miles on the car before then. What do you think? Should I be concerned?

I apologize for the noob question but I've seen some conflicting posts on the whole overfilling issue.

Thanks for the advice/help.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would recommend that you check it again a few more times. Check with the engine hot (5-10 min after shutting the engine off), and check it cold. See how much variation there is.
Also, make sure the car is level. I know my 987.1 is very sensitive and needs to be dead-level for accuracy.
If it is overfilled, my advice is to drain some out.
One way to do that is to remove the filter canister and pour out the small amount that is in the canister. The oil in the sump will not come spilling out when you remove the oil canister.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I would recommend that you check it again a few more times. Check with the engine hot (5-10 min after shutting the engine off), and check it cold. See how much variation there is.
Also, make sure the car is level. I know my 987.1 is very sensitive and needs to be dead-level for accuracy.
If it is overfilled, my advice is to drain some out.
One way to do that is to remove the filter canister and pour out the small amount that is in the canister. The oil in the sump will not come spilling out when you remove the oil canister.
You can't check it cold. The car has to be not only warmed-up but running.
OP, try checking it from a known level place. But, unless you didn't drain all the old oil, 7 3/4 qts would not over-fill. I always put in 8 qts. And it still shows 1 bar from full. So those sensors are exactly precision instruments.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
if it still overfilled.. try to get a .25 quart out.. or the extra oil will go your plenum and mess up the MAF sensor...

lemon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up just emptying a little oil from the filter housing this morning. Now its one bar below the top. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts