Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have remembered this or, better yet, written it in the owner's manual somewhere. I checked the readout this AM, a couple of gray bars before green bars start. So, what a "bar"? A quart? a milliliter? 3/4 teaspoon?

Just read four topics via Search, did not see this.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The difference between the min and max oil markers on the 981 is 1.8 quarts, so .45 quarts per bar. Keep in mind full is the next to top bar, not all the way to the top. All of this info is in the manual for future reference.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info. Readout says "oil OK", but it's probably time to add a quart; I'm three from the top. One might presume that if not pushing the car, like on a track day, a wee bit low is not a crisis. I checked the manual previously, but not this time, and was sure I could not find it.

The difference between the min and max oil markers on the 981 is 1.8 quarts, so .45 quarts per bar. Keep in mind full is the next to top bar, not all the way to the top. All of this info is in the manual for future reference.

Reactions: ICNU

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good info. Readout says "oil OK", but it's probably time to add a quart; I'm three from the top. One might presume that if not pushing the car, like on a track day, a wee bit low is not a crisis. I checked the manual previously, but not this time, and was sure I could not find it.
Suggest you listen to this video starting around 20 minutes:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Raby's suggestions on the oil level read out is good advice. In our old 987 and in the 981, you have to make sure you're on level ground and that getting an oil reading after sitting over night ensures it's as accurate as it can be.

Having said that, a while back I noticed it was down a bar and decided to top up before a track day.Having noticed how this oil level measuring device can vary depending on the surface I decided to add 3oz. at a time and check the next day. Amazingly after adding only 3 oz. I was back to the full level the next day.

My take away was that just because the oil level indicator is down 1 bar--suggesting low by nearly 1/2 qt.--you may not actually be that low. I'd suggest proceeding slowly.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Raby's suggestions on the oil level read out is good advice. In our old 987 and in the 981, you have to make sure you're on level ground and that getting an oil reading after sitting over night ensures it's as accurate as it can be.

Having said that, a while back I noticed it was down a bar and decided to top up before a track day.Having noticed how this oil level measuring device can vary depending on the surface I decided to add 3oz. at a time and check the next day. Amazingly after adding only 3 oz. I was back to the full level the next day.

My take away was that just because the oil level indicator is down 1 bar--suggesting low by nearly 1/2 qt.--you're not actually that low. I'd suggest proceed slowly.
How do you get an overnight oil measurement on a 981 considering the oil needs to be at full operating temp (above 158F/70C). You then wait no more than 1 minute after the ignition is off on a level surface and then check for an accurate static reading. I always measure in my garage since I know the floor is level. If that oil temp condition isn't met, then its just showing you the old stored values from the last time it was. Its only the 987.1 that allowed cold oil temp measurements that I recall.

Here is a nice description of how the oil sensor in the 981 work, and also how overly complicated Porsche has made what used to be a simple process :cautious:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
How do you get an overnight oil measurement on a 981 considering the oil needs to be at full operating temp (above 158F/70C). You then wait no more than 1 minute after the ignition is off on a level surface and then check for an accurate static reading. I always measure in my garage since I know the floor is level. If that oil temp condition isn't met, then its just showing you the old stored values from the last time it was. Its only the 987.1 that allowed cold oil temp measurements that I recall.

Here is a nice description of how the oil sensor in the 981 work, and also how overly complicated Porsche has made what used to be a simple process :cautious:
I have no idea of the science behind this, but after reading your post, I went out to the car turned on the ignition, got into the oil level selection and took the pics. The first pics shows a "cold engine" not running. the second pic shows the oil reading. Over to you..

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Im not sure why this is up for debate when the instructions are clearly written by Porsche as to what the proper process should be?

Did you read the document I posted? It doesn’t say you will not get a reading at all on a cold engine. It says if the prerequisites are not met, ie the oil is not up to proper operating temperature, you will get the last stored values shown from when that prerequisite was met. In other words the data stored from the last time you drove the car and the oil was above 158F so there is no such thing as this overnight oil reading.

It’s clearly in the documentation directly from Porsche that the oil in a 981 is supposed to be checked at operating temperature no more than 60 seconds after the car is shut off. The same applies to the 987.2 which must also be checked hot

You can wipe out the last stored data from the 981 by opening the rear hatch for more than 45 seconds as it assumes that you might be adding additional oil. The car must then be driven to get the oil up to operating temperature in order to see a new reading otherwise you will get a no data available message

The video referenced above from Raby is concerning old models that are 15 years old now so parts of the the process no longer apply to the current models. I think all of this complexity and lack of understanding of the proper process is why we see so many discussions about people adding oil multiple times and seeing no change then finding out out later that the car says it’s suddenly overfilled

Just put a damn dipstick in it and be done with it!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I did read the article and know have a better understanding of how the timing works on the oil measurement process.
I have to say, I usually do mine on the drive just to confirm it was in the ok range. The overnight check process clearly is the way things used to be done, which my recollection of our old 987 must have been from; Porsche's deletion of the dipstick makes that another act to be relegated to the dust bin.
Agreed--the dipstick is missed. Overly complicated is a good description of the current process and making me wonder why they went this route. The digital display makes it easty to check the oil level without getting your hands dirty--but the timing issue makes this more complicated than it appears at first glance.
If the goal is to give the owner the ability to get an accurate reading easily, this process seems to be a step in the wrong direction.

Reactions: ICNU

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I think it must work. I've owned 2 BMWs that use the same electronic oil check. I drove the BS pretty hard last night testing the new suspension module from DSC. After I pulled into the level garage I asked for an oil check on cool down and the car asked me to wait 20 seconds for a reading which it then gave. In my short stint of ownership I have checked the oil a few times on start up, while driving, and on cool down. The reading has always been the same.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I think it must work. I've owned 2 BMWs that use the same electronic oil check. I drove the BS pretty hard last night testing the new suspension module from DSC. After I pulled into the level garage I asked for an oil check on cool down and the car asked me to wait 20 seconds for a reading which it then gave. In my short stint of ownership I have checked the oil a few times on start up, while driving, and on cool down. The reading has always been the same.
No one is denying the fact that you CAN check the oil while running, hot or cold on any of them, yet this conversation seems to just be going in circles around that fact for some reason. Its all about whether the info is actually any different when you do and that is model dependent.

You are driving a 987 according to your avatar image. Is it a 987.1? If so, then yes the 987.1 can be checked cold and after sitting overnight and get a new reading. You will get a timer countdown if you pull in and park and then try to immediately check the level on the 987.1 as it needs a bit from the oil to drain, but yes on that car you can wait and do a new cold reading after sitting overnight.

This thread and discussion is about the 981 which does not work that way. Yes, it will give you a cold reading but It will just show you the reading that was last logged from the day/days before when the oil was over 158F until new data is logged when back up to temp again. The 987.2 is more like the 981 and requires a hot reading as well. Of course either will read the same the following day on cold start as you are still looking at same previous readings. The point being is you will not get more "accurate" information after sitting overnight on the 981 as you are just reading yesterdays newspaper again (y)

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I'm not saying I like EOC. (electronic oil check) I'm saying it works. And actually understandable given the mid engine location and that most users probably prefer not to lift the hood and get dirty. Perhaps they will even check it more often.
Personally I've been pulling a dip stick for more than 50 years.
I use it as instructed because I read the manual.

Off topic here > How does Mike in OH add that signature line so we can put our P car model # or location on every post?

·
Registered
51 Posts
A dipstick would be a lot easier, but given how hard it is to get to the engine bay on a Boxster, I guess I understand the electronic oil check.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts