Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the mods want ot move this feel free, but I did not see this subject addressed in either FAQ, Competition or Cayman modifications so here goes. Has anyone installed or even seen a gauge kit for the Cayman (S) to monitor oil pressure and oil temp. Gauges will warn you of impending issues, warning lights will only tell you..... "it has happened, get your checkbook out"

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
If the mods want ot move this feel free, but I did not see this subject addressed in either FAQ, Competition or Cayman modifications so here goes. Has anyone installed or even seen a gauge kit for the Cayman (S) to monitor oil pressure and oil temp. Gauges will warn you of impending issues, warning lights will only tell you..... "it has happened, get your checkbook out"
I have never seen anyone with an aftermarket gauge solution for oil temp/pressure. Oil and Coolant Temp apparently can be read thru the OBDII (e.g. w/ Durametric), so that data is at least theoretically available.

Oil pressure on the other hand, might require a sensor installation. There was a post a while back that mentioned there is a CEL code for low oil pressure, so there may be some kind of pressure sensor present, however it might not measure actual pressures, but rather be a simple fail-safe sensor.

I checked into using the iPhone app Rev which allows you to link a wired or wireless OBDII transmitter to your iPhone, and monitor various metrics, including coolant temperature. However, they don't specifically mention whether it will measure oil temperature, so I'm not sure if that would work or not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
View attachment 11550

Do you mean these ones Allan? ;)

They mount on the R/H (UK drivers side) A-pillar. Not sure if that would be a particularly useful position for them in the States, but can worry about that later.

We made these for our test car for track purposes. They were rather expensive, which is why i havent priced them up for public consumption.

The guages change colour at set points and also flash. Fully programmable.

We set them up to go solid red as they reached either a too high temp, or too low pressure, and then flash when they were at a dangerous level. Very useful on track because you can see the colours out of the corner of your eye at all times, so no need to break concentration and read the guages fully.

Oil temp sensor was mounted in the sump (requiring a deep sump kit) and the oil pressure sender was mounted in the cylinder head in the same position as the factory sensor, but on the opposite head.

Will get some figures together for you.

Robin

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
View attachment 11550

Do you mean these ones Allan? . . . Will get some figures together for you.
Looks very interesting - if it has a clean/integrated appearance, and the install isn't too complicated, I can imagine there might be a good demand for those over here, but of course, they would have to mount on the left side. :)

Do you have a wider angle picture to show how it looks in relation to the dash?

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
View attachment 11550

Do you mean these ones Allan? ;)

They mount on the R/H (UK drivers side) A-pillar. Not sure if that would be a particularly useful position for them in the States, but can worry about that later.

We made these for our test car for track purposes. They were rather expensive, which is why i havent priced them up for public consumption.

The guages change colour at set points and also flash. Fully programmable.

We set them up to go solid red as they reached either a too high temp, or too low pressure, and then flash when they were at a dangerous level. Very useful on track because you can see the colours out of the corner of your eye at all times, so no need to break concentration and read the guages fully.

Oil temp sensor was mounted in the sump (requiring a deep sump kit) and the oil pressure sender was mounted in the cylinder head in the same position as the factory sensor, but on the opposite head.

Will get some figures together for you.

Robin
Guys...please please PLEASE make/sell these for left-hand-drive cars! I've been looking forever for a CS-dedicated A-pillar gauge mount for my PLX OBDII guage!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here's some more pictures taken this morning for you.

Note the dimmer switch we fitted also. These things were rather bright when driving at night.

Robin

·
Registered
127 Posts
Those seems to be a good option for the gauges. I personally have installed Defi gauges on the dash, but it just looks like they're totally out of the place. I'm also looking at alternative solution.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Many years ago [1975?] I had a nice VDO oil pressure gauge mounted in a pod on top of the dash in a VW. It came as a kit with sender & wires. I can't seem to find any thing about VDO these days. Are they still in business?

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
Many years ago [1975?] I had a nice VDO oil pressure gauge mounted in a pod on top of the dash in a VW. It came as a kit with sender & wires. I can't seem to find any thing about VDO these days. Are they still in business?
Apparently so . . . VDO Gauges from egauges.com

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts

Note the dimmer switch we fitted also. These things were rather bright when driving at night.

Robin
Robin:
Do you suppose it would be possible to get the gauge dials in white to match the stock dials?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice concept but boy are they ugly and look out of place. It might work on my cummins for EGT and boost gauges but just not seeing it on the cayman.........

·
Registered
202 Posts

Robin
Is there any way to run the gauges from the ports on the ECU in the back of the car without installing new sensors? I believe the OBDII ports in the ECU already generate the data in real time.

I also think your package would sell well here, either way. I hated stepping out of my Z06 with oil temp and pressure gauges into this "better" P-car with none. Porsche again seems to do this just to make the Cayman a little bit less than the 911, which has the gauges. On a car that has no access to the engine, getting this data seems pretty key for tracking the car safely....

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
As Robin has not come back yet, I'll try and answer on his behalf.
The stack gauges where chosen because of their programmability, and at about £300 each they are not the cheapest option, but the whole idea of when they hit their programmed upper and lower limits, the colour change acts as a brilliant warning system.
White VDO type plain gauges are available at less than a third of the cost.
Rumor also has it that the standard gauges in Porsche cars are not the most accurate things on the planet (we’ve all heard the stories of the water temperature gauge hardly moving between 95C and 110C. i.e. around the critical boiling point area)
Robin also told me that the oil temperature in their car very quickly got to 130C and therefore they also quickly fitted a bigger cooler which brought the temp back down to a more acceptable 100-110C.
But for looks it’s got to be horses for courses. The ideal is a full Stack type system as used in the Interseries Cars, but that ‘s not always practical for “Road Cars”.
I’m sure Robin will come back over the weekend to answer any further questions.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Allan,

I had thought about using a Spa dual oil temp/oil pressure gauge in place of the high dollar stopwatch on the dash. The size is fairly close. One could possibly use a switch to go from water temp to oil temp using the same gauge with individual sensors.

Attached is a photo of a brake bias gauge. All of their gauges follow this pattern.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
This Digital Gauge looks interesting ...
- apparently it can display water and oil temp and may be able to display oil pressure IFF available from the DME;

From what has been reported elsewhere, the porsche water temp gauge has been dumbed-down to only move when there's a significant change, instead of accurately reflecting water temp -- comparisons w/ durametric displaying the water temp and the stock guage confirm this.

The ScanGauge's form factor means it would likely fit on top of the steering column - OK for a quick look but not great for an on-track in-your-face gauge.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
I have one of these sitting in a box on the shelf:

PLX Devices Inc. - Multi Gauges, Single Gauges, Sensor Modules, Wideband Air Fuel Ratio, Data Logging, Fuel Saving / Scan Tools

The display is completely end user programmable/configurable, simply plugs into the OBDII port, and it's got a nice screen and pretty neat graphics. You can display virtually anything that you can get out of the OBDII port. The only reason I haven't installed it yet is because I simply can't find a good place to mount it!

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
I agree having a decent looking set of mounts with a standard size gauge cutout would open the possibilties. I'd looked at the PLX hardware but passed on that account. The other issue is that oil pressure isn't on the OBD bus.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts