Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
That is very cool! Unfortunately, the form factor is a problem without a decent mount. I notice they sell a multigauge unit called the DM-150, which looks like a GPS device that might be easier to mount on the dash or console, but there aren't any specs on it. Do you know anything about it?

The other problem, as indicated by Greywolf, is that you apparently can only get Oil Temp off the OBD, not oil pressures.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Has anyone thought about using the LN Engineering oil filter mount? It appears they have one with 2 ports for a remote cooler. I would imagine those ports could be used for oil temp and pressure sensors. You would still have to to route wires to the final destination.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
I don't know about the LN Engineering piece but sometimes filter mounts with ports for a cooler have a thermostat built in. Might make for some squirrely results.

As Robin (Autofarm) indicated there's a port in the opposite head identical to the one used by Porsche's low oil pressure switch. Perfect for installing a sender. Of course this wouldn't be available for use on an OBD monitor.

IIRC, water and oil temp are already available to the DME. I don't know if they are standard OBD II parameters though.

I wonder if the center weighted water temp gauge is reprogramable or if that function is built into the gauge? That would leave space for other useful info and make the stock gauge more useful at the same time. Scott?

A while back I seen an article on Renntech (I think) about someone fitting the panel from a 996 or maybe a 997 to an early Boxster. Wonder if this is viable for a Cayman?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am very glad to see this thread. I was thinking of starting one myself on this topic because the ScanGauge caught my eye, but while it offers a lot of data and can easily be mounted in various places it still lacks readouts for oil temp and pressure. I e-mailed them and they thought that at some time or another the engineers might get to developing an add-on XGauge with those capabilities for the Porsche, but it looks like I'd have to wait for some time--Porsche is a pretty small niche. So I was going to solicit other ideas. Glad someone else thought of it first.

ThomT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gee, I don't know why this is a problem for you. According to the "Porsche Cars North America - United States Order Guide - 2010 Model Year," the Boxster (and presumably the Cayman) comes with the following standard Electrical Equipment: "Gauges for RPM’s, speed, oil pressure, oil temperature, coolant temp and fuel level."

Moral of the story: don't believe everything you read from Porsche.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My apologies for the delay in response.

We specifically chose these guages because they changed colour. We installed them for monitoring the engine whilst the car was in use on track (I was getting a little car sick whilst trying to read the PIWIS round Silverstone - Born driver not a co-driver ;) ). The colours were because we didnt want to read the small guages whilst driving (and we drive hard!), you can catch a flashing light out of the corner of your eye. There are many different guages available, but these suited our purposes perfectly.

Very glad we did, because as Allan stated, whilst running over 370bhp we got very warm with temps in excess of 130 deg C. Temperatures that exceed most oil companies recommendations, the oil starts to break down.

We used LN Engineerings oil filter pickup to fit a front mounted oil cooler. We instaleld a thermostat in part way down the system so it wasn't permanantly open, allowing the system to warm-up. On road this doesnt really open at all.

We also installed the IPD plenum kit, which in turn allowed us to fit the larger 997 style oil/water heat exchanger on top of the engine because the factory induction pipe was no longer in the way.

Then to finish things off we got a little local engineering firm up the road called Prodrive to ceramic coat the exterior of our exhaust manifolds. All in the aim of keeping heat out of our engine bay (although i freely admit this was going a bit over kill).

These additions allowed us to get to a reasonable and steady 110 deg C approx whilst on track.

Using specific guages, with specific probes makes for a very accurate system. I would estimate a future fitting time for us of 8-10 hours for the guages and sensors (and a deep sump kit if necessary for the oil temp probe), all wired in correctly, no loose cables in the engine bay or running through the cabin, all hidden behind trim etc.

We did look into taking info out of the ECU directly, but it seemed a very difficult method.

For UK customers (i'm sorry, but i dont know either the exchange rate or possible shipping costs for US purposes, although you wont have to pay UK VAT)

2x guages, guage pod, sensors, wiring and all connectors - £750 + VAT

As above, but with deep sump kit - £1100 + VAT

Both options fitted - £1250 + VAT & £1600 + VAT

As i said previously, very expensive, but it does work.

Please note that we did have to cut holes in the door pillar trim for the wiring.

Robin

PS - Will try and respond quicker next time!!

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up information. Can you tell us where you sourced the A-pillar gauge pods and if they were designed specifically for the Porsche? Do you know if they (the gauge pods) would be available for the left side, and perhaps just in a single pod?

TIA

·
Registered
81 Posts
We made it ourselves. I purchased a cheap universal double pod from a local boy racer supplier and cut it to fit the Cayman.

Then got it made out of glassfibre in the colour (black) we wanted.

Fits perfectly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Gee, I don't know why this is a problem for you. According to the "Porsche Cars North America - United States Order Guide - 2010 Model Year," the Boxster (and presumably the Cayman) comes with the following standard Electrical Equipment: "Gauges for RPM’s, speed, oil pressure, oil temperature, coolant temp and fuel level."

Moral of the story: don't believe everything you read from Porsche.
Why is it that my wife's 2009 Boxster S does not have oil temp and oil pressure gauges yet my 2009 911 C4S does? I think this is a serious oversight by Porsche and we should all complain to PCNA so hopefully they will correct it for future model years.

·
Beach Nut
99 Posts
Why is it that my wife's 2009 Boxster S does not have oil temp and oil pressure gauges yet my 2009 911 C4S does?
Which drives me to ask why not just install the 911 gauges and sensors in the 987 Cayman/Boxster? Used are available - at least for 986/996. Odometers can be re-set with PIWIS.

For 986 you can do some careful Dremel work, or buy the 996 pod and dash piece if you want to save the original parts. I wanted a black dash piece, but current 401k status killed the project.

I still cannot believe my car came with no oil pressure gauge!

However, there is a problem with modern gauges. They sorta work like warning lights. Ever notice how little they fluctuate. Some people were complaining about perceived problems, so the car makers hid the common changes.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Why is it that my wife's 2009 Boxster S does not have oil temp and oil pressure gauges yet my 2009 911 C4S does? I think this is a serious oversight by Porsche and we should all complain to PCNA so hopefully they will correct it for future model years.
Was the same way with the 914 and the 912. In the 60's my 912 had only a partial panel of gauges while the 911'a had the standard five instruments. Just the way Porsche does it. That said I will put oil pressure and oil temp gauges in my Cayman

·
Registered
569 Posts
Just remembered another possible solution:

QUESTIONS

I had one of these in my EVO doing boost/EGT/AFR and it was really great. It was velcro'd on top of the steering column and connected via RJ-45 cabling. You could pull it out and disconnect it in literally 5 seconds. Not sure of plumbing the system on the CS but it was extremely reliable on the EVO.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Was the same way with the 914 and the 912. In the 60's my 912 had only a partial panel of gauges while the 911'a had the standard five instruments. Just the way Porsche does it. That said I will put oil pressure and oil temp gauges in my Cayman
Most 912s had the 5 gauge set up. The earlier ones didn't. The 912 was introduced to recover lost sales, since the 911 was far more costly than the 356. And it worked.

It is necessary to have a way to monitor oil pressure and temperature in the older cars. The newer cars have temperature and pressure monitoring usually anyway. And the light is triggered by the computer. That's kinda like when we see a temperature gauge getting hot and have an notion to react.

So, when the light comes on in a newer car it is a sincere warning, rather than an alert that you need an engine. Ignoring that alert, whether it be a light or a needle is less than wise. I understand why gauges are wanted, though it is mostly nostalgia.

And were I to have them installed, I wouldn't put them on a pillar. They need to be within a proper field of vision to not lessen the driving for the sake of supplemental information. I want to see the road more tha I want to see a gauge. But that's just me.

·
Registered
2006 CS manual
23 Posts
I finally installed my analog Oil pressure and Temp gauge (although the one i'm using shows "water" I did contact them but they will not make a new face, they said maybe if there are more interests.)

I CAD up the gauge holder and 3D printed using rigid resin at work. I got it close so just need to sand down a little bit.

I've also added some molex connectors so I can disconnect and slide that assembly out without all the wires in the back.

I think the hardest part is installing the senders in the engine bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used a Depo Racing gauge kit (Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp and Voltage) in the Sport Chrono pod to give me some visibility into oil pressure and oil temp. 20190329_135714.jpg 20190206_155445.jpg

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The gauge holder is exactly what I would like to have installed. Not hard to read, but does not draw attention. What size gauges did you use. I was thinking about analog Autometer 270 sweep oil pressure and oil temp. Most likely connected to a LN screw on oil filter base. Hopefully I can get Autometer to make the oil temperature gauge with 10 feet of line and the pressure one will be with reinforced steel. I would use the same access hole as the Numeric shifter cables and run the lines alongside of the shifter but under the console. Your solution wins in my book. Can you make another one, will gladly pay for a one off model.

Pedro's garage also makes a panel and supplies gauges, listed under Technogauges on Pedro's web site along with TechnoBrace to secure the rear frame members from moving under threshold braking.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts