Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Stupid question, is the oil pressure reading supposed to move around while driving? Just today I noticed that normally it would read anywhere between 30 and 38 psi whenever between 2000 and 4000 rpm but when pushed hard (between 6000 and 7000 rpm I saw that the oil pressure was all the way up into the 70s psi (on the red scale). Is this normal? No errors or issues, just wondering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
Before my recent oil change, my 718 was running in the red of 70 psi under heavy acceleration. I noticed that with fresh new oil and a new filter, the psi is now in the mid 60s. I suspect as my oil gets older and the filter is not as clean, the psi will be back to the 70s again under heavy acceleration.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the feedback. I think the correlation made by zedcat is pretty accurate as I could map it. I guess as long as you don’t drive it constantly between 6 and 7K you should be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
832 Posts
This is not your fathers oil pump. It is a variable displacement oil pump. Your dads oil pump varied with rpm from low to the high oil pressure relief valve. The VD pump adjusts to compensate not only for rpm, but also for oil temperature and load. As a result the oil pressure is adjusted to what is needed as opposed to just what the fixed pump will deliver. i.e. at a fixed load you don't need as much pressure as you would if you floored it. Anyway sounds to me like your pressure reading are just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts