Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, what are you guys seeing for oil pressure around 7K RPM? I never really paid attention until after I did my first oil change. Near redline I'm seeing 60psi, which is near the indicated red zone. Idle is around 23ish. I think I'm okay, but I'm wondering if that is considered normal for the Cayman/Boxster S. I need to put my mind at ease after accidentally adding 8.5 quarts instead of 7.5 and driving around for a few miles. I remembered reading/hearing 8.5 quarts fills it up somewhere, and should have just read the manual, which clearly states 7.5 is the capacity. :wall:. I'm all paranoid I screwed up my car.

Anyway, any insight on your oil pressure readings would be helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Oil pressure should be a minimum 48 psi @ 5K. [email protected] 7.5k is ok in the old days the rule of thumb was always 10PSI per 1000 rpm. 7k=70PSI I've driven and checked hot idle oil pressure on at least 7 caymans and the all are 21-25 PSI. The old air cooled motors used to idle @ .7bar about 10 PSI .By the way looks like you have the same build as me. Carl

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Carl. Sounds like my CS is operating within normal ranges then. And yes, I spec'd mine out for just the basics and to accentuate what this car does best. I imagine you were thinking the same.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks Carl. Sounds like my CS is operating within normal ranges then. And yes, I spec'd mine out for just the basics and to accentuate what this car does best. I imagine you were thinking the same.
This is my second one the first one had some bells and whistles PASM.Lasted 6 months ..My philosophy this time was if it didn't make a difference how the car drove I didn't want it. 6sp,SS,PTV,SC, manual sport seat plus, 20CS wheels , Sport steering wheel,conv pac., 3028 lbs.. 74 MSRP ,pd 67 carl

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
This is my second one the first one had some bells and whistles PASM.Lasted 6 months ..My philosophy this time was if it didn't make a difference how the car drove I didn't want it. 6sp,SS,PTV,SC, manual sport seat plus, 20CS wheels , Sport steering wheel,conv pac., 3028 lbs.. 74 MSRP ,pd 67 carl
I don't know why, but I can't resist: No leather vent slats for you! :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don't know why, but I can't resist: No leather vent slats for you! :)
You know it's funny when I was waiting for my car they got in a GTS with a six speed. I almost bought it but when I added up all the things I didn't care about and there were $14,000of options including including a $6700 stero.I realized what I liked about the car was the suspension.I really couldn't feel the extra 15 hp. The car was $95,000 they were going to give me a $3000 discount. My salesman actually talked me out of it and my car ended up coming in three days later. He saved me $26,000. Carl

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
These cars really mirror our values. We all want a responsive driving experience, but beyond that there's a wide variety. Porche's a la carte scheme provides lots of latitude for expression.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
OP, I'm not so sure this is not overpressure. The new electric pump computes rpm, temp, etc. to arrive at a pressure (same for hot v. cold). Note the idle pressure is not very different from pressure at 5,000 rpm. An article in Panorama emphasized the issues when using non-standard weight oil. The computation was screwed up by wrong oil - Did you use a non recommended oil ??

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OP, I'm not so sure this is not overpressure. The new electric pump computes rpm, temp, etc. to arrive at a pressure (same for hot v. cold). Note the idle pressure is not very different from pressure at 5,000 rpm. An article in Panorama emphasized the issues when using non-standard weight oil. The computation was screwed up by wrong oil - Did you use a non recommended oil ??
I used 0-40 Mobil 1 oil. Pressure at idle and 5k rpms was not similar for me. Idle was around 23 psi, 5k was around 50 psi iirc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts