Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've been spending some time looking for a suitable point on the engine so I can install an oil temp sender for a supplementary gauge in the cabin. Does anyone know of or suggest a suitable location?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
from

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the video above, I had already seen that. I should have mentioned that my car is a 987.2 and so the heads are different. There are a couple of similar hex nuts on my car, but I'm unsure if running temp from there is worthwhile.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Or you could pull the information from the canbus directly. Save yourself a lot of work and potentially an oil leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I hear my cooling fan on the passenger side blowing after shut down, maybe an oil port somewhere around that fan switch for a 987.1?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 2 sensors - one in the plug by the #6 cylinder area (987.1) which you may not have depending on your engine. The second is plugged into a oil filter sender adapter and a spin on oil filter. This basically gives you sump temp. This will heat faster than the other sensor but eventually they agree. Since the #6 location always lags, I wait until that one is hot before exercising my right foot. I had previously used the location by #1 cylinder but the fan there would influence the reading because of the high air flow and how far the sensor stood out in the air flow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys,

I've been spending some time looking for a suitable point on the engine so I can install an oil temp sender for a supplementary gauge in the cabin. Does anyone know of or suggest a suitable location?

Thanks in advance.

dougle turbo,

I'm wanting to same mod. Did you ever find where to put the sensor. I've got a9A1 engine.
I am too chicken to mess with the canbus :unsure:

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks Fasav.
I believe you put a 997 cluster in your car. Assuming you were able to get the signal off the canbus.
Since I'm adding an additional gauge in the place of the Chrono, I want to use another sensor to measure the temp. I could install a spin on filter adapter, but I would rather not. Still looking for another option for a separate sensor on the engine with out tapping the canbus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts