Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang
After doing some searching, I found that various members have posted the 981s can run up to 270F on the track. Can anyone confirm this, present day?

I tracked mine for the first time a couple weeks ago, after full race prep (new oil, brake fluid, etc etc)

Water temps were fine max they saw was 225ish-230ish

Oil temps at the end of each 20 minute session would peak at 263F, usually 255-260F.

Is this to be expected? I want to hear what the forum members have to say on this before my next track day please. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
958 Posts
That's my experience. 3rd radiator doesn't help significantly.

Reactions: F1at6981

· Registered
44 Posts
I regularly hit 270's at the track in my 981 Cayman S PDK with CSF third radiator, water wetter in coolant, race headers (no cats), coil shields with gold heat-reflective tape, header wrapped over axle pipes, LN pdk cooler. I have never gone into limp mode and every oil analysis at the end of track season shows normal oil degradation but not any accelerated changes due to the heat. The high temps are worrisome in theory but it seems that the 9a1 engine is not harmed by regular oil temps in the 270's at the track.

· Registered
295 Posts
On the advice of a guru former engine builder of mine in a former WTW competition life, I run 15-50 Mobil 1 for greater thermal protection at higher temps. I also have a catless race header with Jet-Hot ceramic coating inside and out. Both are large factors in oil temp reduction and diminished transmission of heat by convection to the coils. I seldom see above 250.

· Registered
958 Posts
There was an article some time back in Panorama about the GT4 Clubsport racing series and there was a question posted about oil temps. They said 295F oil temps in 75F ambient temps was not abnormal for those cars.

I've also done oil analysis on all my oil changes and while there is noticeable shearing, the oil is still plenty serviceable even after 10K miles of use with a few track weekends scattered in there.

· Registered
1,485 Posts
With ambient temps around 80F, I'd hit 260-270F oil temps on a regular basis in non-sport mode. In sport mode, my oil would stay around 250F-255F. Sport mode really does keep the oil temps down even in street driving.

+1 on the cool down laps--it helps your brakes also.

· Registered
2011 Cayman S w/ TPC turbo
376 Posts
Does the 981 have a factory oil temp gauge? If so, if it is anything like the water temp in 987s, it is just an idiot light tarted up to look like a gauge. I don't know if either are accurate.

· Registered
1,485 Posts
Does the 981 have a factory oil temp gauge? If so, if it is anything like the water temp in 987s, it is just an idiot light tarted up to look like a gauge. I don't know if either are accurate.
Here are two images of the 981 gauge setup:
Car Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Trip computer

Camera lens Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Reflex camera

You can select which temperature reading you want displayed.

· Registered
2,224 Posts
Its similar on the 981. The water gauge reading is fake and fixed to 194F/90C even though the water temp is actually closer to the oil temp if read through the OBD. It wont go higher to alert you of an issue on the gauge unless a certain threshold is crossed.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There was an article some time back in Panorama about the GT4 Clubsport racing series and there was a question posted about oil temps. They said 295F oil temps in 75F ambient temps was not abnormal for those cars.

I've also done oil analysis on all my oil changes and while there is noticeable shearing, the oil is still plenty serviceable even after 10K miles of use with a few track weekends scattered in there.
Oddly enough I was talking with a colleague of mine thru work and he used to work for a company that 'refreshes' oil. He is a chemical engineer and said many oils can be recycled i.e. debris removed, the right additives put back in and it is 100% good as new. Said similar things to you above, some changes to viscosity but nothing to be concerned with in function.

· Registered
958 Posts
Oddly enough I was talking with a colleague of mine thru work and he used to work for a company that 'refreshes' oil. He is a chemical engineer and said many oils can be recycled i.e. debris removed, the right additives put back in and it is 100% good as new. Said similar things to you above, some changes to viscosity but nothing to be concerned with in function.
A couple of links for you... (I used to be able to find the full text of these articles, but they seem to be behind the SAE paywall now)

The one study indicates the most wear your engine sees is the first 500 miles after an oil change, and that wear rate starts to level out at about 3000 miles. The 3000 mile oil change recommendation that was common practice for decades may be the worst thing possible for engine wear. Fleet vehicles using 12000 mile oil change intervals using standard dinosaur oil had improved anti-wear measures than engines with lower mileage drain intervals.

Another study went into the physics of why use oil provides a wear and friction barriers that new oil tears away.

The Effect of Oil Drain Interval on Valvetrain Friction and Wear
Raman Characterization of Anti-Wear Films Formed from Fresh and Aged Engine Oils

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's been said riule of thumb is 10 psi of oil pressure per 1k revs? Can anyone confirm this? I tracked the Boxster a couple times (3.4L) and oil pressure hit 70 psi when pushing very hard, would back down based on revs. Was able to keep going by just easing off a little but and keeping it under 65 psi. Before and after the track day everything seems fine. What do you guys see for oil pressures on track days?

· Registered
958 Posts
It's been said riule of thumb is 10 psi of oil pressure per 1k revs? Can anyone confirm this? I tracked the Boxster a couple times (3.4L) and oil pressure hit 70 psi when pushing very hard, would back down based on revs. Was able to keep going by just easing off a little but and keeping it under 65 psi. Before and after the track day everything seems fine. What do you guys see for oil pressures on track days?
Your numbers seem about right. Kinda freaked me out the first time I saw it pressing the red high oil pressure line, but I've never blown anything and never seen any high oil pressure-related warnings.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your numbers seem about right. Kinda freaked me out the first time I saw it pressing the red high oil pressure line, but I've never blown anything and never seen any high oil pressure-related warnings.
Good to know. My mechanic knows these cars well and said similar things. Hope this thread helps others with similar questions.

426 Posts
A couple of links for you... (I used to be able to find the full text of these articles, but they seem to be behind the SAE paywall now)

The one study indicates the most wear your engine sees is the first 500 miles after an oil change, and that wear rate starts to level out at about 3000 miles. The 3000 mile oil change recommendation that was common practice for decades may be the worst thing possible for engine wear. Fleet vehicles using 12000 mile oil change intervals using standard dinosaur oil had improved anti-wear measures than engines with lower mileage drain intervals.

Another study went into the physics of why use oil provides a wear and friction barriers that new oil tears away.

The Effect of Oil Drain Interval on Valvetrain Friction and Wear
Raman Characterization of Anti-Wear Films Formed from Fresh and Aged Engine Oils
Awesome information. I always love seeing studies like this! FWIW, I found a PDF of the first one online, so for people interested, you can find it if you look for it :) I haven't read it in detail yet, but there are great graphs in there and tons of data.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.