Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Cayenne diesel in today for the 75K km oil change. When I left and looked at the invoice I saw that they used 5W30 Mobil-1. The previous 4 oil changes they used 0W40 Mobil-1, which I thought was the recommended weight for all Porsches. The service guy said that the V6s and diesels used the 5W30 and all the others use the 0W40. I think that he is wrong and that he simply said that because he used the wrong oil type and didn't want to be called out on it. He first said that he might have just typed the wrong weight in on the work order but then he said that he used that weight.

Comments? Am I wrong? If it should be 0W40 should I get the 5W30 replaced immediately?

Kim

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Kim,
They should be using the low ash version of Mobil 1 5W30 with Porsche C30 spec. They should not have been using the 0W40 used in the gas engines. The wrong oil will clog up your diesel particulate filter. If true they have screwed your car royally. Read you owners manual. My dealer technicians get the diesel engine oil in quart bottles from the parts department, not from the overhead dispensing hose which delivers 0W40.

Rob

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The Mobil 1 5w30 ESP is the correct oil stated in my manual. Their 5W40 doesn't meet the porsche c30 or the vw507 spec. Check their site. I use the Redline 5w30 that meets the specs.

What is your oil service interval?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I saw a link on the web to the requirement (after I made the first post) and it did say to use the 5W30. What threw me for a loop is that I was certain that they had always used 0W40 before. However, when I got home and checked my records, they have been using ESP 5W30 each of the last 4 changes plus this latest 5th one. I guess I was getting it mixed up with my 911, Cayman and two 968s before this one. My mistake. No harm done, nobody taken to task and my supper of crow pie was actually tastier than I thought that it might be. The trick is to remove the feathers first.

My service interval is 15,000 km. I always get it done within about +/- 200 km of the interval mark.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
My service interval is 15,000 km. I always get it done within about +/- 200 km of the interval mark.
So that’s about a 10,000 mile oil change. My display shows reminders every 5,000 miles. It was discussed to be due to the low quality of US diesel fuel. I’ve got an oil sample to send in running with a cetane booster to see if I can stretch the interval.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure if you meant me but, if you did, I drive about 8,500 km/month. I have not needed to add any oil between changes.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I'm at 12,800 miles...oil level is constant.

Is adblue/def required in Canada?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I use generic DEF. I get about 22,000 km from full to the warning light coming on.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If 5W-30 is Porsche recommended, then the rest of my comment below is moot. I haven't seen the diesel spec and took your word for it. I have seen the 0W-40 for the gas engines. So like you, I thought they were trying to cut costs. Around here in FL, some indie shops will try that because they can get 5W-30 cheaper and easier. So that is what I suspected was going on in your case.

If oil consumption is low to zilch, there is no need to change from factory viscosity recommended. Is this an authorized Porsche dealer service shop? Doesn't seem like it, as it seems they are trying to cut corners on their costs. I'd ask them change it to 0W-40 at their expense. If they refuse, I'd go somewhere else the next time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There has been a lot of speculation on what the correct mileage on CD before getting an oil change. Apparently, they changed the mark on the '14 diesels for some reason. My dealer says every 15000km for our '13, which seems high, but we don't even put that much on in a year. So, it's done regardless every year.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
If 5W-30 is Porsche recommended, then the rest of my comment below is moot. I haven't seen the diesel spec and took your word for it. I have seen the 0W-40 for the gas engines. So like you, I thought they were trying to cut costs. Around here in FL, some indie shops will try that because they can get 5W-30 cheaper and easier. So that is what I suspected was going on in your case.

If oil consumption is low to zilch, there is no need to change from factory viscosity recommended. Is this an authorized Porsche dealer service shop? Doesn't seem like it, as it seems they are trying to cut corners on their costs. I'd ask them change it to 0W-40 at their expense. If they refuse, I'd go somewhere else the next time.
Since the low ash oil formulation is for the particulate filter and emissions, not any 5W30 will work. I haven’t yet come across a correct spec for any other weight.

Porsche iManual | 2013-2014

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Motor Oil - Euro-Series 5W30 Motor Oil

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Right. I was thinking of the 5W-30 at Walmart and Sam's that a lot of indie shops buy. They can get 0W-40 there but sometime's it's harder to find. Store people have told me the indie shop guys will fill their carts with it when they find it. They double their money when they sell it for oil changes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, PCA1983, the point is moot. The special 5W-30 is recommended. I simply just thought it was supposed to be 0W-40. I should have read a bit before my mouth was opened.

Now, since the point is moot (at your suggestion), I do hope that you are not an Ent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts