Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys trust the computer to tell you when to change the oil, even if you track the car? I saw some older threads on this general issue, but wanted to get some more recent information.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Ask 100 people, you'll get 100 different answers to this one. The common thread though is at least once per year, then if tracked - more often. No computer can be trusted as it counts mileage and time rather than engine stress etc. Just my .02.

Do you guys trust the computer to tell you when to change the oil, even if you track the car? I saw some older threads on this general issue, but wanted to get some more recent information.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
AFAIK, the service notice in the computer on these cars is time and mileage based only - there's no way for it to judge the relative cleanliness/usefulness of your oil. So, even if you track your car every weekend, if it's programmed to tell you to service the car either every year, or 10k miles, that's what it will do.

If you track the car, I would recommend 5k to 7500k mile intervals max. I track mine a lot, and change the oil about every 3-5k miles.

brad

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I go off of mileage, time, and use.

Cayman S- 20,000 miles or 1 year which ever comes first.
S2000- 5,000 miles or 1 year **OR** two track days.
Sport Trac- 5,000 miles or 1 year which ever comes first.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AFAIK, the service notice in the computer on these cars is time and mileage based only - there's no way for it to judge the relative cleanliness/usefulness of your oil. So, even if you track your car every weekend, if it's programmed to tell you to service the car either every year, or 10k miles, that's what it will do.

If you track the car, I would recommend 5k to 7500k mile intervals max. I track mine a lot, and change the oil about every 3-5k miles.

brad
Thanks. Just what I needed to know.

·
Registered
482 Posts
20,000 miles?!

I would not use that factory recommendation. My service manager told me the newer Porsches are going back to 10,000 mile oil changes, and the BMW techs also recommend disregarding the factory's overly long oil change interval as well. I try to get mine done around every 10K, honestly, it probably would be better to change it every 5-7K.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts