Yes. I'm in...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Reporting for duty. :)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I'm assuming that this is a private forum, right?

I'm gonna have an awful lot of questions about what it is that I'm supposed to be doing.

It is in my nature to turn disorder into order, and I have no problem researching and writing stuff, but I'm not so swift with the computer geek aspects of it.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes this is a private forum, only those of us with access can see and reply to topics here.

The first order of business is that everyone will need some sort of HTML editor. Technically you could even use Notepad if you wanted to, but that's not a very good editor for HTML. A quick Bing search for Free HTML Editor will probably turn up several acceptable candidates. DO NOT USE MICROSOFT WORD, or any other editor that can read/write HTML but does so full of custom codes instead of plain vanilla HTML. I still use the old (no longer supported) Microsoft FrontPage because that's what I grew up with, but I've used a few other editors as well.

In a nutshell what you will want to do is use the template in this forum (will have to go find a link, standby) as a starter template for your item. Load it into your HTML editor of choice, then type in all the content, insert images, etc. and have it save as an HTML file. Once you provide me the HTML file I can then load the HTML file into the FAQ in the proper location/order. This means a couple of things:

1) People will need to choose what sections they want to work on and announce it here in the forum so we don't have duplicates
2) Images will need to be uploaded into the FAQ section of our gallery so the HTML in the FAQ item will point to images that are on our server, not somewhere else. If people need help with images I'm happy to explain in more detail.
3) I can provide the HTML from an existing FAQ item if you cannot capture it with your browser. For example let's say the PDK FAQ hasn't really changed much it might be easier to use 90% of what we already have and simply update it with a new 10% in which case you'll want to use the existing PDK FAQ as a starting point instead of using the blank template. Make sense?

Any additional questions let me know, otherwise start choosing what sections you want to work on and standby while I find what I did with that template...

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
To be clear, as I noted in PM, your starting point should probably be a skeleton based on the 987 FAQ. Divide the work up among yourselves and have at it.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Oh hai. I can haz more torque? Testing..testing...beep...beep oh what's this big red button that says "Do Not Press".

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I can make an assignment list and dole out assignments to everyone but I would prefer that people start to list on their own what sections they are going to work on and then start working on them!

So who is going to work on what? :)

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Guys...wondering what the point of view is on trying to do a full 718 FAQ - which we know will be essentially a 981 chassis, interior etc., with the engine being the primary difference (and a few cosmetic tweaks) , without having any 981.1 content. (Ken talked above about using content that's still current, such as on PDK.) There is a TON of info in the 987.1 and .2 FAQs, and it's a good framework...but wouldn't the best scenario be the 718 FAQ is extrapolated from a 981.1 FAQ? Yeah, I know...it never got done.

Should we be a least thinking about a 981.1 "lite" FAQ which covers the basics, then adding the 718/981.2 info that's different as it becomes available?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Guys...wondering what the point of view is on trying to do a full 718 FAQ - which we know will be essentially a 981 chassis, interior etc., with the engine being the primary difference (and a few cosmetic tweaks) , without having any 981.1 content. (Ken talked above about using content that's still current, such as on PDK.) There is a TON of info in the 987.1 and .2 FAQs, and it's a good framework...but wouldn't the best scenario be the 718 FAQ is extrapolated from a 981.1 FAQ? Yeah, I know...it never got done.

Should we be a least thinking about a 981.1 "lite" FAQ which covers the basics, then adding the 718/981.2 info that's different as it becomes available?
Makes sense to me. I was kind of thinking the same thing, but you said it better.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I don't/didn't even know what HTML is, so obviously I am going to have to figure out how to do it.

Is there an online resource that I can study? I want to help out, but I'm a little lost at this point.

And yes, I like K-Man's idea of maintaining a list of assignments. I think we should choose our own assignments in the beginning, and then as needed, K-Man or Chows can assign the stuff that nobody has taken on.

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
I don't/didn't even know what HTML is, so obviously I am going to have to figure out how to do it.

Is there an online resource that I can study? I want to help out, but I'm a little lost at this point.

And yes, I like K-Man's idea of maintaining a list of assignments. I think we should choose our own assignments in the beginning, and then as needed, K-Man or Chows can assign the stuff that nobody has taken on.
To begin, I would use the 987 FAQ as a skeleton. Divide up your assignment among yourself based upon that. Gcurnew is right, much of the stuff should be in a skeleton 981 FAQ you need to build out.

Second, get a wyswig html editor. Google "free html editor" There are many to choose from. The only way to do it is to pick one and try it. This will take time. Its not going to get done overnight. Get comfortable with it. It will be like using word but the output will be html.

Third, pick the low hanging fruit to start. Read the 991.2 reviews. There will be tons of stuff in there. PCM is PCM and that info is out there. etc.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
10-4.

I signed up for something called "Weebly". At this point it's all Greek to me, but I'll play around with it in the coming days and see if I can figure it out.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Is there a way to import an existing template into my HTML editor, so that all I have to do is change the text and photos for each page that I do?

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Is there a way to import an existing template into my HTML editor, so that all I have to do is change the text and photos for each page that I do?
It wont be easy. Go to a faq page, in your browser find the page source and cut and paste into the editor. I'm sure Ken won't mind but you got a ton of java stuff in there and ads that need to be deleted to get to the pure html. IMO, its better to start from scratch but you could try. it might be confusing.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Dont' do what Chows suggests, INSTEAD do what I indicated above, go to this topic thread: http://www.planet-9.com/faq-working-forum/44525-html-template-use-bi-xenon-lights.html

There you will find a text box with HTML in it that is the template for you to get started with simply copy that HTML and in your editor paste it into a new page and then take a look at how it renders, you can then work with that template to add items and when you are done you want to save the resulting HTML and give it to me to put into the FAQ.

Make sense?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'll get around to this once 4Q things quiet down in a week or two. I figured this is more of a constant exercise as we keep getting more information from Porsche and other reputable enough outlets. I'm comfortable with HTML/JS/CSS although I'm really a C# guy. Well I used to be. Now I herd C# guys and girls. I'll notepad++ it up and pay attention to this thread in about 10 days.

PS: I added you on XBL, K-Meown S.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts