Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I do NOT have the premium package with memory functionality.
I DO have the convenience pkg which includes dual AC.

After trying everything and reading for days, I eventually accepted that every time I get in the car, the AC will come on in the low setting. I believe this is pretty well documented and many people have this same situation.

So I got up to wash my car this morning, turned in the car, and BOOM, the AC starts up at 69 degrees with full-blast fan, and both the high and low vents set to blow. In other words, exactly as it was on Friday evening when I pulled into the garage and shut off the car.

I have since moved my car a few times while washing and waxing, and every time I start it, same deal!!

So I'm trying to figure out what has changed. Here are the only things I changed while driving home Friday:

-I began cranking the AC up full blast because it is 105+ degrees out. Maybe it only remembers when on full blast?

-I selected the fans to blow on my feet and through the dash vents simultaneously. Maybe selecting both causes the system to remember?

-I turned the temp down to 69. Normally it would be set in the low-mid 70s.

-I messed with the settings in the binnacle under the Air Conditioning...I turned OFF the air dash panels with the intent of increasing air velocity in the other vents...not sure if it has to do with anything?

-I left ON the auto air circulation.

-my AC is set in mono mode, as it usually is.

I guess I will need to experiment over the next few days to see what makes it stop...I will report back.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
All,
I do NOT have the premium package with memory functionality.
I DO have the convenience pkg which includes dual AC.

After trying everything and reading for days, I eventually accepted that every time I get in the car, the AC will come on in the low setting. I believe this is pretty well documented and many people have this same situation.

So I got up to wash my car this morning, turned in the car, and BOOM, the AC starts up at 69 degrees with full-blast fan, and both the high and low vents set to blow. In other words, exactly as it was on Friday evening when I pulled into the garage and shut off the car.

I have since moved my car a few times while washing and waxing, and every time I start it, same deal!!

So I'm trying to figure out what has changed. Here are the only things I changed while driving home Friday:

-I began cranking the AC up full blast because it is 105+ degrees out. Maybe it only remembers when on full blast?

-I selected the fans to blow on my feet and through the dash vents simultaneously. Maybe selecting both causes the system to remember?

-I turned the temp down to 69. Normally it would be set in the low-mid 70s.

-I messed with the settings in the binnacle under the Air Conditioning...I turned OFF the air dash panels with the intent of increasing air velocity in the other vents...not sure if it has to do with anything?

-I left ON the auto air circulation.

-my AC is set in mono mode, as it usually is.

I guess I will need to experiment over the next few days to see what makes it stop...I will report back.
I THINK your issue is because you do not have the memory package. That is what I remember reading. But I can't help you because my car does have the memory function and the system starts up in whatever mode and settings it had in when I turned it off last.
Are you in Tucson or somewhere else? We are 20 miles out of Tucson.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I THINK your issue is because you do not have the memory package. That is what I remember reading. But I can't help you because my car does have the memory function and the system starts up in whatever mode and settings it had in when I turned it off last.
Are you in Tucson or somewhere else? We are 20 miles out of Tucson.
I am in central phoenix. Just about died waxing the car and mowing the lawn. :)

I am pretty certain the weird issue is due to not having the memory package.
But what is so weird is that it randomly began remembering...it has to be a setting that does something I am not aware of, a combination of settings, or a glitch...I guess all are possible...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I am in central phoenix. Just about died waxing the car and mowing the lawn. :)
I gave up lawns when I moved here. One of the benefits of living in the desert.
I am pretty certain the weird issue is due to not having the memory package.
But what is so weird is that it randomly began remembering...it has to be a setting that does something I am not aware of, a combination of settings, or a glitch...I guess all are possible...
Probably and good luck finding out what it is. The electronics on this car can be very confusing.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
But what is so weird is that it randomly began remembering...
It's becoming self aware. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I do not have the memory package and have the basic HVAC system.

Upon startup, the HVAC system comes on with the same settings when the ignition was last turned off. EXCEPT: unless restarted within a certain time interval (5 minutes?) when the ignition is turned off with the HVAC system shut down (fan turned off), it annoyingly comes on at restart with the fan at minimum. Under those conditions, the compressor does not come on if it had been previously shut off and the temperature setting remains as it was.

From what others have posted, this seems to be the same with the Auto Climate Control system.

·
Registered
565 Posts
All, After trying everything and reading for days, I eventually accepted that every time I get in the car, the AC will come on in the low setting.
Hello dombey & al;

I can really sympathize with you on this one: it really cranks me off when (any) manufacturer makes decisions to take "privileges away from you" - like you're TOO STOOPID to decide if you want the A/C on or not.

Now, my 2008 Cayman is not as smart as your 981 - but Porsche decided that a RED LIGHT on the center console should be lit to let me know I have the A/C TURNED OFF.

I'm in San Diego, which for most of the year we don't need the A/C on - so I'm stuck with a red lite on the center console A/C button. Used-to-be that a "red light" meant a serious problem with the car and not "HEY DUMMY - YOU'RE DRIVING WITHOUT THE A/C ON!" - as if you REALLY need to be told that the A/C is off! What's next: "a light that tells you the windows are up?

Doctor: What seems to be the problem?
Driver: I think I shattered my elbow.
Doctor: How did that happen?
Driver: I didn't notice that the "window-is-up" light was on, and when I went to use a hand signal to turn left, I smashed my elbow on the window. Doc, - I tell yah - I'm gonna sue them for not making the light brighter. Cars there days are just too dangerous!

Dog-gone: even the ANCIENT cars had a manual A/C button that toggled on/off. Once you pushed it in, the A/C was ALWAYS ON. Push it again and the A/C was ALWAYS OFF. Is that too hard of a concept to deal with?

Maybe it's just me (or us). When I read a post a few weeks ago where a guy said that he wanted a proximity device to open the car and instead of an iginition key a push button to start the car, well, maybe it's time for a trip to the glue factory for me... ;)

regards,
methuselah.podrasky

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hello dombey & al;
Dog-gone: even the ANCIENT cars had a manual A/C button that toggled on/off. Once you pushed it in, the A/C was ALWAYS ON. Push it again and the A/C was ALWAYS OFF.
Not all of them! My 1973 Plymouth Fury III had an arrangement where the A/C compressor was continuously engaged whenever the motor was running. Chrysler's justification was similar to Porsche's backward reasoning which assigns default to A/C on - one might need A/C for defrosting under humid conditions. When I discovered that, I found a wire junction near the compressor and wired a dash mounted toggle switch to control it. Gas mileage for the 400 cubic inch/Torqueflite drivetrain soon shot upward from 9 to 11 mpg.

The only mistake was neglecting to tell my ex mother-in-law about the A/C switch when she borrowed the car on a steaming summer day...

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
379 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think the system actually starts up with whatever mode and settings it had when you last pushed the memory set button, rather than the settings that happened to be in effect the last time you shut off the car.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think the system actually starts up with whatever mode and settings it had when you last pushed the memory set button, rather than the settings that happened to be in effect the last time you shut off the car.
I think you are correct, :thanks:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have convenience package with no memory seats, and haven't noticed any issues yet. It always seems to turn on with the same settings as when I turned it off.

·
Registered
565 Posts
When I discovered that, I found a wire junction near the compressor and wired a dash mounted toggle switch to control it.

The only mistake was neglecting to tell my ex mother-in-law about the A/C switch when she borrowed the car on a steaming summer day...
Hey Tom;

WAIT - I'm missing something: I don't see a problem here...

OH - if you come up with a switch that turns the brakes on and off when your mother-in-law gets in to drive, lemme know: I'd like to be your marketing manager...

regards,
tony.corleone
(fixing brakes on cars since the prohibition)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I think I *may* have figured it out...
So when the weather was cooler, I was turning on the ventilated seats, turning the ac off, and going top down on literally every drive.
Now that it is hot, I'm doing the same, except ac on.
I think the difference is the base dual ac no memory system will remember your last setting if the ac was "on"...otherwise it will start up on the low fan...which is the problem we all know and love.
So the "good" news is that I live in phoenix and the ac will be left on for half the year without ever turning it off. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts