Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

OK, So who's in Australia with a Cayman?

23K views 144 replies 38 participants last post by  whelanluke 
#1 ·
Hello!

Long time Forum member here and now on my second Cayman. First was a brand new '06 CS Manual and now driving a '10 CS Manual with a pile of options and Paint to sample in Metalic Black with Red and Blue Pearl. :):)
Member of the Porsche Club of WA.
Located in Perth, Western Australia.
Any Cayman questions happily answered.
:cheers:

#3 ·
Hi
Bob, from Adelaide SA, have been a Porsche owner for the last 20 or so years
now running Cayman S 06 from new, with just a few mods, this car is backed up with a Golf mk5 Gti with DSG gearbox.
Porsche Club GB
Porsche Club SA

PS any one planning to do the Porsche Cars. Country to Coast event?

#4 ·
Hi to all the Aussies,

Rocco from Sydney (North)
This is my first Porsche, (I waited for the best model to come out) ;)

I can't believe I'm the only forum member from Sydney, C'mon don't be shy & join.

I'm not involved in any Porsche clubs, I guess my club is myself & my favorite driving roads. :taunt: I just loving driving my 987.2 Cayman S!
anyone who shares this enthusiasm is most welcome to join me on drives.

#6 ·
HI all,

New member and new Porsche owner out in Melbourne, I've recently purchased a Cayman S 06.

Enjoying the drive and already eyeing of some "simple" mods that I'd like to see in this little buzz box.

Here's a list of items I'm keen to get some advice on:

1. PCM 3.0 retrofit (currently have a CDR24 BOSE).
2. Sports exhaust (would prefer Porsche sprots exhaust if possible)
3. Short Shifter (the throw is huge)
4. Bi-Xenon (properly installed with leveling...if possible)

As you guys can imagine, the boys in the Porsche Center here in Melbourne are what I would call narrow sighted, Porsche seems to install blinkers on them similar to what is used on horses, if you get my meaning.

If anyone has any experiance or input on these items I'd really apprecaite your help. I'm keen to get the PCM piece done soon, just trying to get as much research done, so far it looks like I'll need the new BOSE amp and the wiring between the new head unit and the new amp in order for it to work, any thoughts?

The shifter will be easy to do, though I'm questioning if the Porsche shifter is any good compared to B&M, which I currently have in my Audi.

The Sports exhaust (equiped to work with Sports Chrono) will need some input on, again the boys in PC seem to think that if I installed it it would be in sports mode perminantly, any insight?

And the Bi-Xenons, this is certainly a nice to have, but might end up being more trouble than it's worth, thoughts?

Thanks all, look forward to catching up with some of you in the near future.

Cheers,

Warder.

#12 ·
3. Short Shifter (the throw is huge)
I bought mine for around $250. You can get cheapie ones for $80

4. Bi-Xenon (properly installed with leveling...if possible)
If you buy the correct lights then they will come with the motors to auto-level, and as they are required by the ADR rules you have no choice.

You can't put xenon globes in a non-projector style lamp, it throws light all over the shop so if you want xenon's, buy the factory units. This is why if you look at xenon equipped cars, you will note a small projector lamp inside the large headlight body. They aren't bi-xenon anyway, only one xenon lamp & the high beam is still halogen.

As you guys can imagine, the boys in the Porsche Center here in Melbourne are what I would call narrow sighted, Porsche seems to install blinkers on them similar to what is used on horses, if you get my meaning.
That's why you go to Weltmeister's. Good guys, will give you their mobile numbers, and given they race-prep cars, are not closed minded at all. They just did a 40k service on my car & insisted I bring it back once the turbo is bolted on.

The shifter will be easy to do, though I'm questioning if the Porsche shifter is any good compared to B&M, which I currently have in my Audi.
The B&M ones and the knock off's are all exactly the same, I've compared them & couldn't really tell much difference. The cheapie ebay ones work okay too but I dare say wouldn't last as long especially if you are trashing it about.

#8 ·
Warder,
generally those upgrades are not done afterwards due to the cost.
1. Likely to be rather expensive.
2. An aftermarket exhaust will give more power and be cheaper.
3. Do the B&M, however beware that the gear selection will not be a defined.
4. I think the price is a bit nuts for that option.
Have you got a quote for all this?

#9 ·
Thanks for the response guys.

The SS and the Sports Exhaust, as much as I'd like to keep them stock, after reading up about the factory sports exhaust, I sense that people seem to be dissapointed in the amount they pay over 3K USD for very little gain, any thoughts?

SS is a must imho, and I'm leaning toward the Porsche OEM since the price difference isn't huge.

As for the PCM 3.0, I have a pending discussion about what I was recently told by a local installer, apparently they US PCMs are different to those sold to the rest of the world....not sure if that's true or the guy is leading me down the garden-path. If it's not true, then I'll be looking at purchasing it from Suncoast.

Bi-Xenons, well this is looking like a no-go at this stage, I'm waiting for my proper mechanic (that's right, I alwayd don't think to highly of P.C. Melb) to get back to me with some feedback.

If anyone has any info to assist on these items please let me know.

Cheers,

Warder the newbie CS owner.

#11 ·
Hi,

Love my CS06, from new, but wondering at the difference in road feel & experience between it and the CS10? Was it worth the upgrade and if so, why? (ie: trying to make up my mind whether to do the same

#13 ·
Hi guys,

Yeah the B&M will be the way to go for me.

As for the Bi-Xenon conversion, I'll need to source the model numbers. At the moment I'm busy with the CDR24 to PCM3.0 upgrade, ohh yes....I will do this!

As for the turbo kit, I was checking out the TPC bolt on, and I'm not overly keen on it. It was to force induce my car, it'll be done properly. No offense to the TPC guys, but with the way I drive, the engine would not last and to get into a sh!t fight over responsibility, I'd rather a proper built engine for force induction, rather than a engine pourpose built for N/A.

LSD - <insert thoughts here>, I'm looking at a proper LSD, rather than a Quafie, anyone had any experiances?

CS06 v CS10, dude I drove both, and to be honest, the DFI engine is more spirited hitting the rev limited very quickly. Ride difference, drifting in one = drifting in the other....in my humble opinion. Day to day drive, if you opt for 19" rims with "sports" suspension will mean they fair the same.

So having said that, the score card also took into account depreciation and the CS06 I ended up buying won hands down, allowing me more than enough change to "tweak" the princess.

Just my 2 cents =o).

Cheers.

Warder the newbie Porka owner.

#15 ·
As for the turbo kit, I was checking out the TPC bolt on, and I'm not overly keen on it. It was to force induce my car, it'll be done properly. No offense to the TPC guys, but with the way I drive, the engine would not last and to get into a sh!t fight over responsibility, I'd rather a proper built engine for force induction, rather than a engine pourpose built for N/A.
Each to their own of course :) I've screwed at least 50% more power out of every car I have owned, without ever cracking the engine open. Never a single issue.

Hi all, Ryan in Melbourne. 2003 Boxster S.
Hi mate, same car, same town :) Happy to go for a cruise one day.

#14 ·
Hi all, Ryan in Melbourne. 2003 Boxster S. My first porsche and i've had it for almost 3 years now. I'm the same as Rocco (Capercat), I don't belong to any clubs, but I get out into the local hills (the dandenongs) as often as possible.

I'm in the process of modifying my car - only half done due to shipping delays. These are being done at Peter Fitzgerald Racing / Evolve Technik:

New intake
FVD retune
FULL FVD exhaust (headers, cats, muffler).

Currently only have the intake and retune done (hopefully have the exhaust on this week) and I can already notice a difference in the power and sound.
It feels more urgent and revs more freely, and the intake sound is much much better than the stock muted sound.
This is how the car should be from the factory (no doubt i'll say the same thing once the exhaust is on ;) ).

If anyone is interested in going for a drive out in the hills and mountains send me a pm. I know a few good roads and a few places to get a good coffee.

Cheers,

Ryan

#17 ·
Hi Guys,

Rob in Sydney (east). Got my manual Cayman S new 1 year ago and I'm loving it. Previously owned a 944 and then a 968, both great cars in their day (IMHO).

Member of the Porsche Club of NSW. I do the occassional club supersprint when I get the time and really enjoy them, but I need to get some spare wheels and R-spec tyres. Anybody know a good source for properly sized wheels with correct offsets at a reasonable price? Some spare Cayman or boxter wheels would be handy.

See ya!

#19 ·
Hey Rob. At least Capercat will be happy to know he's not the only Sydney member now.

As for a spare set of wheels, I'm contemplating the same thing. Until then though I'm going to try a set of Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, as my bridgestones are close to worn. They are suppose to offer pretty good track performance while still being a good road tyre.

#22 ·
I know there's been quite a few new Cayman sales from local Porsche dealers (we have three in Sydney) the new owners don't seem to be interested in forums. I've managed to get a few 911 owners for a GTG. Just have to keep trying.

#23 ·
Hey Capercat. I'm pretty busy over the next few months (heading to Mudgee this weekend via a quick detour to Bathurst). Will get in touch when I have some time.

You should consider becoming a PCNSW member. They are a great bunch of people and run lots of different events - sprints, social drives, monthly meetings with interesting guest speakers etc. etc. Check out the web site www.pcnsw.com.au.

#28 ·
Hi Guys,

I am in SA and I am after a used CS 6MT with under 30,000 kms on the clock. Currently drive a Golf Mk6 GTI. I would like to find a CS with sports chrono, PASM and a decent aftermarket exhaust but i don't like my chances. Hardly any of the cars for sale have PASM. Hopefully I will be a true porker soon. I have been ploughing my way through Planet 9 threads. This has got to be the best resource for a car owner I have seen.

Bob, good to see that there is another Cayman owner from Adelaide on board. The CS is pretty rare around here. None for sale in SA at the moment.

Looks like I will have to travel interstate to check out the options.

One thing worrying me from the Planet9 problems and complaints section is the battery problems people have experienced (and the hassles you have to go through to get into the car if the battery dies). I plan to keep my Golf GTI as a daily driver. The CS would be driven more than just on weekends but at times it might not be driven for a couple of weeks. Am I going to have to keep my car "plugged in" to avoid problems?

I have heaps of questions brewing but thats it for now.

#31 ·
Welcome Richard!

This is the place to be for those interested in Cayman's. I concur with 4by4, car should be good for a month, I've not stated mine for two weeks & all was good. :)

I would however invest in a 10+ amp lead battery charger rather the Porsche trickle charger, 4by4 pointed me in the right direction to this. I've only ever had to use it while up-loading the Softronic software (as a precaution only)

#30 ·
Re battery.
Generally speaking it should be good sitting idle for a month. I suspect some battery's from the 06/7 era were a bit doggy. Reported battery problems seem to have tapered off.
Anyway, its no big deal just get a new battery if it dies after a week idle.

#32 ·
Hi Richard
Bought mine in new from Melbourne in May 06 first Cayman S in Adelaide that was before the Porsche Centre had one, also got the right rego CAYMAN, my battery failed at 2 years and 3 weeks new one fitted under warranty by Porsche, last year the car sat for 8 weeks, holiday overseas, and the car started first time, i have a Borla exhaust, Softronic inlet and software, and limited slip diff, and BMC air filter. look forward to seeing you out and around in a Cayman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.