Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Straight out....I know nothing about mods at all! I just moved from a 2.7 to Gen 2 3.4. HUGE difference!!! Having said that...what are the first mods I should be thinking about...total amateur here....

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Sport muffler, if you want a little more noise and a little less weight. Other than that, don't do anything until you get bored with what you have. The car is fantastic right out of the box.

Is it a Cayman or a Boxster?

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Straight out....I know nothing about mods at all! I just moved from a 2.7 to Gen 2 3.4. HUGE difference!!! Having said that...what are the first mods I should be thinking about...total amateur here....
If I were you, I'd start by just enjoying the car stock for a while. Give us a list of the options on your new car. That will help. Also, what do you do with the car? Do you drive to work daily with it? Do you and your honey drive places on weekends in it? Is she/he a sporty type or one who values comfort above all else? How smooth are the roads you drive on?

Do you have Bose? There is a nice little mod for the Bose subwoofer enclosure that's definitely worth doing and it costs under $10 to do.

A lot of the mods available are for making your car work better on track. If this isn't something you're drawn to, than you probably don't want to mod the suspension much. You won't get the benefits much on the street and the cost is always a more punishing ride. PASM gives you compliant ride for the street and a track setting for track weekends. If you didn't get it, well, the Gen II standard suspension is a lot better than the Gen I, so you're probably not missing a lot, especially if you're not a track or autocross enthusiast.

For the engine, there are various companies offering "Flash Kits" that allow you to get a few more PS and "torques" out of your already dandy new engine. I think Softronics is about to release one for the DI engine if they haven't already. Nice people and they're having a sale at the moment.

To install a "Flash" you need a strong (10 amp minimum) battery charger, a current good laptop with reliable internet hookup running XP or 32bit Windows 7 or a MAC (I think). You must have internet where your car is and you must have the laptop plugged in to an AC outlet.

The reason you need the battery charger is that the engine cooling fans all go on during the Flash process for several minutes. These fans draw 40 amps or so and they will run down your battery in some circumstances.

You can buy any one of a number of exhaust systems. I personally think you should find a good non-dealer Porsche shop around and pay them to make your mods for you. I did that on a couple of track prep mods and I'm glad I did. These are not simple cars and the engine design and placement makes them unusual for the average auto mechanic. Also, Porsche does nearly everything their own way, so make sure the shop you pick has a good reputation and experience with newer Porsches.

In the US at least, Some dealers are "mod friendly" and some are not. If you can find one who is "mod friendly", they can do the work for you. They will charge you full Porsche shop rates for doing the work, but it's good to have your dealer in on the work in case something breaks down the line. They will help you with the factory reps in case of a contested warranty issue where a non mod-friendly dealer will jump to the side of the factory if there is any modification on your car. German laws are different than US laws, so I can't really speak about how the Porsche car business works in your country. I do know that there are a lot of aftermarket items made in Germany and when I've been there, I've seen a few radical machines running around on the roads near the Nurburgring, so I guess mods are somewhat common.

·
The driver formally known as Torque
895 Posts
I would say join a club that offers High Performance Driving Education (assuming you are not a pro level driver here). The car's performance most probably is greater than your ability to drive it. Once you get more comfortable, then start thinking about upgrades.

Also, once you have some track seat time, you will know exactly what you want to do to improve the car.

Enjoy it stock first!

:2cents:

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Second the Bose subwoofer fix. Simpler than assembling a typical kids toy or a piece of KD furniture. Suggest you look at grills for the two radiator intakes. The intakes are excellent vacuum cleaners. If you have leaves falling from trees, you can quickly acquire an assortment of them partially blocking the radiator air flow. I think a few oak leaves block more flow than the grill mesh area you'd add. You can fish inexpensive mesh through the trim - takes some time and not many euros - or you can drop the front clip and install grills behind the trim - lots of time and some euros - or you can get snap on grills fitting in front of the trim - moderate euros and almost no time. If your TUV will, as we say, have a cow over even this simple modification, the snap in kind can be uninstalled in a few minutes at inspection time.

The Bose fix and the grills are all subjects of articles here.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
No need for mods IMO.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
JCay said:
I would say join a club that offers High Performance Driving Education (assuming you are not a pro level driver here). The car's performance most probably is greater than your ability to drive it. Once you get more comfortable, then start thinking about upgrades.

Also, once you have some track seat time, you will know exactly what you want to do to improve the car.

Enjoy it stock first!

:2cents:
Very much agree, right now you are the weakest link! :)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Exhaust first, the rest you'll figure out down the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts