Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright:

Having read all of the posts on Cayman Exhaust removal it took me almost three weeks to get that darn exhaust off to send to Carvewell (Sorry for spelling). I mean I soaked those bolts with every kind of solution, used all kinds of breaker bars and power tools. No luck. Finally went to the heat, I mean blow torch. After three weeks I finally got all of the nuts loose, with only snapping two bolts. Actually with heat was able to pop those out. So, the exhaust is finally off and ready to ship off.

I now want to remove the four bolts I have left on the flange. They are not broke or anything, I just want to replace all of the bolts and screws with stainless steel as you guys recommend in the other threads. My question however, what is the BEST way to remove the old flange bolts. I figured since there is no nuts on them maybe I should hammer them out. But will they easily come out without heat? DO they just pop out? I ask all of this because I do not want to bend or damage anything.

So, can you guys suggest the best way to remove the old flang bolts that are not broken or anything. Keep in mind the exhaust and nuts have been completely removed and so I am looking at the naked nuts

Thanks everyone

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
I don't think hammering is a good idea - not on the headers anyway; might rattle the cats to smithereens.

Look for some way to press them back + out ... Vice grips? C-clamp? Bearing puller? Iirc, I drilled out the ones which couldn't be pressed out but it was a pain. It's less of a pain if you buy a 5-pack of the drill bit size you need to use, sit back and expect it to take some time.

If you have the headers off the car it would likely be much easier ... But then you have 12 *more* rusty bolts to deal with to remove the headers.

mmmv,

-PM.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts