Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on a series of job interviews in the San Francisco bay area sending me on 90 mile round trips, and I have to say, my 2007 Cayman S (std suspension, 18" wheels), is beating me up pretty good. I mean, I am physically feeling it when I get home. I am wondering if old tires could be a contributing factor. Do tires ride harder as they age, or...? The tires on the car are Michelin PS2s (N4 spec). The fronts were made in the 12th week of 2009 (end of March, 2009), while the rears are slightly older, having been made in the 8th week of 2009 (end of February, 2009). This makes them about 5.62 years old. The dealer recently told me the rubber is old and is cracking, so they have to come off soon. Could that kind of age makes the tires ride worse? As an aside, the roads I find myself on are typically pretty bad, even the freeways in spots.

Thank you,

Phil

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Did you verify the cracking? Tires don't last. And yes, age will have an effect as does temperature, humidity - in short weather/climate is a contributor.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See photos of left and right rear tires. I really don't see any cracking, except for very tiny fine cracks in outside tread (not discernible in pics). The climate here has ranged from high 20s to low 100s. Humidity is on average low to modest. The fronts are less worn and from what I see, have no real cracking. Maybe on inside of tire or somewhere else...?

Phil

Michelin PS2 LS.jpg
Michelin PS2 RS.jpg

·
Registered
688 Posts
Cracking would typically be more on the sidewalls than the tread surface. The tires with cracking I've seen are more like 10 years old than 6.

I don't believe the age of the tires would affect the ride appreciatively. Flintstonemobile excepted. :hilarious:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I can speak from experience on this. My 2008 had the 19" PS2's and as they aged they did get harder. And as you're probably aware, the problem is compounded below 45 degrees or so. Mine did in fact remind me of the Flintstones. The difference when I swapped them out for the Michlem Super Sports was hard to believe. The ride became almost unbelievably better. I'll not wait for 6 years again and plan my next swap to be around 5 years, regardless of tread remaining.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Yes from my experience worn and / or old tires plus colder temp leads to harsher ride. You can reduce the air a bit, but that will worsen handling.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Old tires even with low miles and tread to spare = dangerous tires.

Machog

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will replace the old PS2s very soon. Don't want to drive on these in cold and wet weather. Probably going for Sumitomo HTR Z III tires. Had these on my old 1998 BMW M3 sedan, and I thought they were actually quite good. Car is never tracked and I don't drive hard, so hoping will suit Cayman well.

Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts