Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok. You've heard me praise the merits of the base, short-stroke, small-bore 2.7, and I still dig it, but last night on a local high climb with a Gen-1 Spyder I did pine for a BIT MORE HP. The Spyder just kept pulling, every so slowly mind you, away. I feel like Oliver Twist with his bowl in hand "More please sir..." but with one foot on a slippery slope.

And I understand that these engines are basically big air pumps and if we increase the flow going in and decrease the resistance going out I'll have some increase in HP and torque.

So what are the BIGGEST bangs for my bucks. Here's my short list but I ask those of you that have done such changes - is it worth it? Should I simply bite the bullet and upgrade to a GTS (for an extra $40K!)?

IDEA:
1. Fabspeed Sport Headers
2. Fabspeed Maxflow Muffler
3. IPD Competition PLenum
4. GT3 Throttle Body
5. COBB tune

When it's all said and done, if I go full retail, we're looking at $12K + installation. So maybe $15K total. And... what product do I get in the end?

Thoughts anyone? John Gaydos - want to chime in buddy? You've done such things but to your 987.2 R, which is a different beast than my base Cayman.

Or should I just suck it up and find friends with lesser power cars? :)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Ahhh, the age old question of how to wring more power out of a base.

The last 3 would be the most cost effective (in your list). You could probably gain 25-30 hp. To get substantial gains on the exhaust side, you'll probably end up with a sound that will not be compatible for street use.

Your base 981 has 275hp. Not sure what 3-5 on your list will cost ($7K?), but that will only get you to the 300hp mark. You're still 20 behind a 981 S. Your best bang for buck would be to upgrade to a 981 S.

If it was easy, everyone would do engine mods to a base.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Should I simply bite the bullet and upgrade to a GTS (for an extra $40K!)?
No. Not GTS and not 718, spend maybe $10-15k (which you were planning to spend anyway) and get 981 Cayman S.

Or should I just suck it up and find friends with lesser power cars? :)
Please don't be offended, but this is the list of modifications (in THAT order) we were suggested to do more than once during High Performance Driving school if the ultimate speed was the goal:

1. Modify the driver
2. Modify the tires, then modify the driver again.
3. Modify the brakes, then modify the driver again.
4. Modify the suspension, then modify the driver again.
5. Add lightness, then modify the driver again.
6. Add horsepower. And yes, you guessed it, modify the driver again.

Where "modify the driver" simply means "learn how to use what you just did".

So, after all this long story, the answer to your question is "Find friends who are slower drivers than you" ;)

And, in all seriousness, if you never tried it, ping your local PCA and see what DE/HPDE events are available in your area and sign up for one - if you never did one, that is. Nothing will make you as fast as investing $1,000 for a driving school, by far the best ROI when speed is concerned. Have fun whatever you decide to do!

Reactions: KCZ

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I've done driving schools, and owned much more powerful cars than my GTS, but a base Cayman is simply lacking IMO. The GTS is the perfect balance IMO. Still lacking a lot of power compared to my buddies (GT3s, McLarens, Ferraris, etc), but enough to be right behind them outside a track. And it's my favorite car to drive, regardless of price or HP. If you have the means, I'd definitely upgrade it, and keep it stock (warranty intact). Good luck.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would 100% upgrade the car before doing those mods. Unless you have checked you could also do the 3.8L swap for about the same money as your upgrades I believe. Typically that is recommended for people who buy the base car.

Reactions: pseudo_nomen

·
Registered
525 Posts
Should I simply bite the bullet and upgrade to a GTS (for an extra $40K!)?
The more sensible value proposition is probably switching to a 981S and then, in the fullness of time, upgrading that. A 981S turns into GTS power plus a little more with a COBB tune very easily.

I think modifying the 2.7 and spending the $$$ necessary will not leave you at all satisfied with the result.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

The last 3 would be the most cost effective (in your list). You could probably gain 25-30 hp. To get substantial gains on the exhaust side, you'll probably end up with a sound that will not be compatible for street use.

Your base 981 has 275hp. Not sure what 3-5 on your list will cost ($7K?), but that will only get you to the 300hp mark. You're still 20 behind a 981 S. Your best bang for buck would be to upgrade to a 981 S.

This may be the way to go. There's a nice silver over red one available in town. Super nice, PCA member owned. Tx.

No. Not GTS and not 718, spend maybe $10-15k (which you were planning to spend anyway) and get 981 Cayman S.

Please don't be offended, but this is the list of modifications (in THAT order) we were suggested to do more than once during High Performance Driving school if the ultimate speed was the goal:

1. Modify the driver
2. Modify the tires, then modify the driver again.
3. Modify the brakes, then modify the driver again.
4. Modify the suspension, then modify the driver again.
5. Add lightness, then modify the driver again.
6. Add horsepower. And yes, you guessed it, modify the driver again.

Where "modify the driver" simply means "learn how to use what you just did".

So, after all this long story, the answer to your question is "Find friends who are slower drivers than you" ;)

And, in all seriousness, if you never tried it, ping your local PCA and see what DE/HPDE events are available in your area and sign up for one - if you never did one, that is. Nothing will make you as fast as investing $1,000 for a driving school, by far the best ROI when speed is concerned. Have fun whatever you decide to do!
I LOL'd when I saw this. You are 100% right on the money so absolutely no offense taken! I've done one DE event this year and have a track day set for the 28th of this month. Yes - modify the driver! (In other words, "Tough beans Oliver Twist"!) :)

New tires as well on the horizon. No sign of PS4's until March of next year.

I've done driving schools, and owned much more powerful cars than my GTS, but a base Cayman is simply lacking IMO. The GTS is the perfect balance IMO. Still lacking a lot of power compared to my buddies (GT3s, McLarens, Ferraris, etc), but enough to be right behind them outside a track. And it's my favorite car to drive, regardless of price or HP. If you have the means, I'd definitely upgrade it, and keep it stock (warranty intact). Good luck.
Tx. My problem is that the upgrade is going to cost me $40K CND! Ouch!

I would 100% upgrade the car before doing those mods. Unless you have checked you could also do the 3.8L swap for about the same money as your upgrades I believe. Typically that is recommended for people who buy the base car.
You bet. I think it'll be a new car before I'd go that route!

The more sensible value proposition is probably switching to a 981S and then, in the fullness of time, upgrading that. A 981S turns into GTS power plus a little more with a COBB tune very easily.

I think modifying the 2.7 and spending the $$$ necessary will not leave you at all satisfied with the result.
Nice idea. And it's reversible etc...

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,471 Posts

Another vote for the 981 S or GTS upgrade path, all of the changes you can do to the base will not 'really' equal a bigger engine, additionally if you value your warranty all of that goes out the door with engine mods... oh and if you do plan to re-sell that too will take a big hit IMHO. Unless you have all of the knowledge, lots of cash and none of the foregoing are of concern to you, simply move up... ;)

In Canada eh! Hiding out on an island or blending in with the masses on the lower mainland? :hilarious:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I used to drive -- and love -- a 1998 BMW 318ti; it's the little hatchback and in my mind the soulful successor to the 2002tii (of which I've owned and restored many). It had a Dinan suspension but was otherwise stock. I loved carving through the hills in and around San Francisco, rowing the shifter to keep that little 140bhp 1.8 liter motor in the pipe. I dreamed of a 2.3 6 cylinder or strapping on a supercharger, but did neither because I realized the joy of that car was the work -- the necessary precision -- to make it purr.

I think of the the Base vs. S debate the same way. If you really -- I mean really -- want more power, get a f*cking S. The delta between selling your Base and buying a similar S or GTS is less than what you'd spend on the mods. But if you like the work of wringing every drop of performance out of a Base, then put on some nice wheels, improve the suspension if you don't have x73 and as our friend from Ohio says, modify the driver.

You can't go wrong either way, IMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts