Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to leave to drop off my '14 Cayman off at BGB Motorsports. It'll be a 14+ hour drive, leaving from the midwest just before a big snow storm rolls in. Ironically it's a 981 mile trip from my house to Ormand Beach. Is that a sign?

Doing the 3.8L swap as well as some other goodies.

Hopefully John will post lots of pictures here so I can follow it's progress over the next two weeks.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
yes, please keep us updated on this...

·
Registered
70 Posts
your in good hands with John. hopefully I will get to see your car, I need to go get my springs on my 991 installed with him soon....

·
Registered
73 Posts
A bold decision, but one that you won't likely regret. I'm jealous. I think that the increase in these conversions has been noted by Porsche, and along with Cayman racing successes has played a role in their decision to field the GT4. If, as anticipated, the market response to the GT4 is positive, I believe that the prospect for increased displacement and/or (turbo) horsepower in future 981's is good.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Killer!!! Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I was at BGB a few weeks ago. John was great to me! Jealous of the 3.8L conversion. On my list for the future.

I drove about the same mileage from Ohio, and stopped at Spartanburg, SC on the way and in Kennesaw, GA on the way back. I can't do 1000 miles in a single drive anymore. 10 hours at a time is my max.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Just a thought: In 1955, Sterling Moss covered 1,000 miles in 10 hours driving on highways, backroads and through town centers.
Amazing! 1955

On your your way back I have feeling that you will cover a few more miles in the same 10 hours. Just a hunch.

I was at BGB a few weeks ago. John was great to me! Jealous of the 3.8L conversion. On my list for the future.

I drove about the same mileage from Ohio, and stopped at Spartanburg, SC on the way and in Kennesaw, GA on the way back. I can't do 1000 miles in a single drive anymore. 10 hours at a time is my max.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Getting ready to leave to drop off my '14 Cayman off at BGB Motorsports. It'll be a 14+ hour drive, leaving from the midwest just before a big snow storm rolls in. Ironically it's a 981 mile trip from my house to Ormand Beach. Is that a sign?

Doing the 3.8L swap as well as some other goodies.

Hopefully John will post lots of pictures here so I can follow it's progress over the next two weeks.
Sweet, Keep us all up to date on the progress with pics....:picsplz:

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I visited with John yesterday at the Porsche 48hr club race at Sebring. It was a pleasure meeting with him for the first. He showed me a dark grey Cayman with the 3.8 conversion; but, he would not show me the engine. Don't know if I believe him. :hilarious: Also, there was a CR converted to fill race specs. Darn, I wish I was younger to go racing.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got back from Florida last night. Decided to stay a few days and enjoy the weather. Was in no hurry to get back to the snow. The drive down sucks. 1000 miles in one shot is too much or I'm getting too old.

John gave me a ride in one of his 3.8L conversions. It is everything I was hoping it would be. I could not stop smiling the entire time. These cars are rockets with the 3.8 in them.

Here is my list of mods:

3.8L swap
911S software
X73 with GT3 front sway bar
Cargraphic sport headers
Guards LSD
BMC air filters

I'm hoping he can get me the Sport Plus mode since my car doesn't currently have SC.

·
Registered
966 Posts
You are going to love this car. No IDP Plenum?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We talked about the IDP plenum. In the end decided it probably wouldn't make a noticeable difference since the 3.8 already has the larger throttle body. Put that money towards the sport header instead.

·
Registered
966 Posts
You'll love the X73, too. When do you expect the car to be ready?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
That is quick. John is going to price my conversion this next week. I am targeting November, though, as I will be in Florida then.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I recall from the GT4 EVO interview that the 3.8L originally did not fit in the Cayman and Porsche had to do some machining/modifications. Is this the case with your 3.8L engine swap also? Or is John just better at fitting the motor than Porsche? lol

Reactions: payne295171

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The motor ended up not being remanufactured but a new virgin one. But there are some odd things about it. Some of the parts on it are a newer style. The intake manifold is a new style. There is a high pressure pump and lines right were a hydraulic power steering pump would be on the older DFI motors. John made a few calls and it appears to be for some type of air suspension. Very weird. Maybe this is an early 991.2 motor?

·
Vendor
707 Posts
Mark's motor arrived Friday and it is a new variant we have never seen before. We are going to start the removal of his motor today and begin the conversion process. I will be posting photos along the way but Mark asked me if we could hire models to smoke cigarettes around the car and they're late so...

·
Vendor
707 Posts
I visited with John yesterday at the Porsche 48hr club race at Sebring. It was a pleasure meeting with him for the first. He showed me a dark grey Cayman with the 3.8 conversion; but, he would not show me the engine. Don't know if I believe him. :hilarious: Also, there was a CR converted to fill race specs. Darn, I wish I was younger to go racing.
Harvey...even if I showed you the motor none of us would be able to tell its displacement. The dyno runs I have to back it up tell a nice story though of 405 little ponies galloping around in there!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts