Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been driving around the big island and noticed that all cars have a ugly sticker on the rear bumper. What is this sticker for? Do you CS owners here have to put this sticker on you cars? I have not seen one Porsche yet, of any kind, after three days of being here.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
That is the state inspection sticker/state revenue producer. Some people buy a small plate to stick it on but most just put it on the bumper.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I go to the Big Island often; certainly not a lot of Porsches, but I see a Boxster or 996 from time to time, never seen a Cayman. I know there's a rennlister with a GT3 there but I've never seen it. There're a few older 911's that somehow feel more appropriate to me out there. God help you if you had a mechanical problem, you have to put the car on a boat!

Years ago when I used to go there was a real antipathy to speeding on the island, all the local drove slow and people would wave at you to slow down all the time. I tried to be respectful and just took it easy.

This year when I went, I was driving the speed limit and getting passed left and right, by locals and tourists alike. Maybe I'm just imagining things, but it seems like more of the mainland impatient driving style has gotten to the island.

There aren't a lot of good places to drive a Porsche, but with the new paving on Saddle Road it's pretty excellent actually. No people, fresh tarmac, lots of curves, I was wishing I had my car on that one.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Did they get fresh pavement on Saddle Rd all the way across? Last time I was there it only went about ten miles out from Hilo.

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
I moved this to this section because this wasn't Cayman and Boxster specific.

Thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I go to the Big Island often; certainly not a lot of Porsches, but I see a Boxster or 996 from time to time, never seen a Cayman.
There's a Macadamia Cayman S in the Aloha Estates subdivision just South of Mountain View; my dad lives just down the street. I've seen a dark blue Cayman in Waimea, a Turbo cab driving to Hilo from Waimea and a white 80s-era 911 in Hilo.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Did they get fresh pavement on Saddle Rd all the way across? Last time I was there it only went about ten miles out from Hilo.
Yes, Saddle Road is paved all the way now. They still don't let you drive it on rentals though.... guess it is old policy.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Have been driving around the big island and noticed that all cars have a ugly sticker on the rear bumper. What is this sticker for? Do you CS owners here have to put this sticker on you cars? I have not seen one Porsche yet, of any kind, after three days of being here.:cheers:
Most Porsche owners put the sticker on the right bumperette. I looks horrible but you have to have it by law.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I just rode over the new saddle road in a highlander during thanksgiving while I was there and it was a wonderful road! I sure wished I had my car up there. The big island has a lot more driving roads compared to Oahu and far less people on the road. The dealership here send a mechanic over to Hilo monthly I believe to service cars over there now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts