Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this guy had a bad track Day at Daytona. It was painful to see his car trashed. Luckily he was ok. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428707650.093689.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428707670.812491.jpg

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Today was my last track day with my 991S as the next day I have scheduled will be with my GT4. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428707760.975665.jpg

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ouchhh!!! It happens to the best. Hope he'll get back on that horse soon.

Reactions: casselberrykman

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
What happened?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Blue paint. Infield guardrail. I'm gonna guess the kink. It is fast thru there and the line is narrow but it is a passing zone.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup turn 4. He passed aggressively way too late and fast. Also took the wrong line. It's one of those errors in judgement that really stings

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Unfortunately, errors in judgement occur more often when high testosterone is combined with high adrenaline. It happens too often, IMO. For track-time DE events. organizers should limit passing zones to the easier wide straights, and aggressively enforce the right to pass if wanted by the following car.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Yup turn 4. He passed aggressively way too late and fast. Also took the wrong line. It's one of those errors in judgement that really stings
Thanks for the information. Can you add some context as to what type of event this was? Regular DE, what are the passing regulations, etc. Sorry for all these questions but as a fairly new DEer I want to learn all I can. This looks like a teaching moment.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This was a pretty loosely run event as it was part of a car show. He was in the novice run group passing at the very end of a passing zone. He was chasing down a 458 challenge car driven by the wife of the car owner. She pointed by as he was being aggressive on her but he really should have waited for the next passing zone. He was carrying too much speed and took a very wrong line. He also panicked when he started to go off which caused the car to hit the wall rather than saving it. Don't let this scare you about anything except not to get macho or try driving to keep up or out pace someone else. Especially as a novice

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think there is a lesson to be learned here for sure, and these are the type of novice drivers that worry me most at the track due to aggressive and inexperienced driving skills. Could have been the 458 into the wall through no fault of their own.

On another note, some may percieve it to be in bad taste to be posting pics of of another's misfortune, regardless of fault. We are always reminded before our PCA DE events that if such an incident occurs that publishing of such images would only embarrass the driver and will create a poor perception of the events for all. Food for thought.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Poor chap. Sad to see but .....lucky no injury and no engine damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear no insurance but not sure if true or not. Also hear he just put the motor in the car.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think there is a lesson to be learned here for sure, and these are the type of novice drivers that worry me most at the track due to aggressive and inexperienced driving skills. Could have been the 458 into the wall through no fault of their own.

On another note, some may percieve it to be in bad taste to be posting pics of of another's misfortune, regardless of fault. We are always reminded before our PCA DE events that if such an incident occurs that publishing of such images would only embarrass the driver and will create a poor perception of the events for all. Food for thought.
Yeah probably would be embarrassed. If anyone thinks this is poor taste I would have no issue of a moderator took this post down. Not trying to make anyone feel bad. I will say this is a great reminder to keep your cool at a track event and be safe

Reactions: Slainte

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Devils advocate says that posting the pics serves as an important reminder that such incidents can and do happen. Not trying to embarrass the owner/driver, only educate others to heed the warnings of their instructors and event coordinators for good reason. If people blindly think nothing bad can happen they are in for a rude awakening....

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I always tell rookie track guys. Be VERY picky about the track that you use. For your first year or two drive only on tracks with huge runoff areas. Stay away from tracks with walled areas in any probable OFF areas. As a rookie, you get pretty jazzed very quickly once you start feeling comfortable on the track,.. and U WILL start pushing that envelope. U will start forgetting about the realities of those walls. So only go to tracks without walled areas, no matter how tempting. Get those early learning experience within as safe an environment as possible.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
So am I to understand that this was an event without instructors?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yup. You beat me to it.....I run with tons of different groups and I can't tell you how many times I've "encouraged" track educate to novices or even the average person who happens to be at the track taking a picture. I get the other side of the argument, but the idea that a picture will prevent this? No one is thinking about this picture when their adrenaline / testosterone takes over. Honestly the only thing that would have prevented this was an instructor. Don't ever ever ever start DE's with a group that doesn't have a formal instructor program. Even if you don't have a bad incident, the teaching will save your car a lot of pain (stupid things like no ebrake, checking pressures, fluids, cool down, etc.) The PCA is great for getting your feet wet on track.

So am I to understand that this was an event without instructors?
See above.....thought the exact same thing.

EDIT - Love the screen name!
:beer:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure how experienced he was, he was running in the novice run group but wasn't running with an instructor. Instructors where available. Like I said before this specific event is part of a car show and has very loose rules. Not like other events I've done. Daytona is a very dangerous track for a novice. Lots of speed lots of walls. I went through a fresh set of brake pads in two days. Tires held up nicely.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Lesson is - just remember what can happen when adrenaline and testosterone mix. it's not a joke and can kill you if you aren't aware and with an experienced organization that stresses safety training. My experience is PCA is one of the best for DE track days. I live in the area and saw that event and chose to stay away. The only other thing I will say is they had strange rules for their car show that resulted in what seemed like hundreds of Ferraris and a handful of Porsche's. They almost had more of those pathetic DeLoreans than Porsches. Nuff said.

Well almost enough said. IMO, Shel Hart had one of the best looking cars in the show - a Blue 911 Turbo that was immaculate. Great looking car with very nice carbon fiber accents!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts