Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fell in love with the CS after I started reading all of the various praise that it has received. That love turned into lust after my first test drive! I am now infatuated and must have one. So why do I not go purchase one today you ask? While I consider anyone purchasing a new CS "well to do" I do not really consider myself completely in that category.

Here is why I must wait one painfully long year...

1) Buying a $70,000 - 80,000 sports car will be a definate stretch to me. I currently drive an Acura TL which set me back only $30,000. It is my work car so no trade-in value there. The wheels will be driven off it.

2) My wife and I have agreed all cars we buy will be bought with cash. (I know totally crazy...some would even argue "responsible") So no instant purchase on credit.

3) My wife gets a new SUV first and she is looking at a new Suburban or Mercedes. So that gets me spending $50k-85k before I even start saving for the CS.

I am insane over this car! I am driving my wife insane over this car. I am starting this thread for my own sanity, encouragement to and from other owners/hopefuls out there, and just to hear how great this car is from everyone out there.

Cheers to all current CS owners out there!! And stay frosty to all of you who hope, plan, and dream about the day they turn the key on their own CS.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Why not get used? I believe there are plenty that are in the 30's that are in great condition and low miles.

Just my .02. :)

-Moto

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel your pain.....I agree with others that the option of a used Cayman is a good one. After years of delays with no end in sight, I got a used 2006 CS with about 7k miles for about half its list price. Best thing I ever did.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey CrazyRob,

Obviously you can't wait forever ,BUT, while you are saving and waiting the car is just getting better all the time! For instance, up here auto climate control and heated seats are now standard, they finally added iPod interface. It sounds like the trunk clunk issue is resolved and now they have DFI engine technology which will probably be in the upcoming base model. It sounds like Porsche is listening and maybe in the future you will not have to pay for floor mats and xenon lights in a $80,000 car , let alone a Porsche! Finally, they must be within a year or two of introducing the NG which will only be better again!

In the meantime, keep working the configurator and visiting the dealers, that's what I'm doing.

Cheers
MAV

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the encouragement and the advice on going used. I am not opposed to a used CS at all. I would love to find one with less thank say 10K on it.

My question with used purchases is this: Any way at all to tell if it was broken in properly, etc? I am terrified to buy one that may have been ripped and zipped hard. Or maybe I am just paranoid? Aren't the CS designed to be run?

The thing that really makes me upset is that I saw a nice used '09 CS with 7500 miles and about $20k of options on it for $59000. It looked like a real steal. Unfortunately like I said, the wife gets a car first.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
The responses were great, another idea would be to look for a new 09. A member posted a month or so ago that he bought a new base CS for about $41K if I recall correctly. You might be able to find a new 09 S for 51 or 52K, something to think about. In any event good luck and you need to keep working on your wife.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nothing wrong with going used. I bought a pristine 2006 Boxster S for 27k, cash, still under warranty. Couldn't be happier. I would not have spent 60 grand for a car. If I want a daily driver (I still can't bear not to drive the 987 every day) I'll get a 986 for around $10k. I love this car. I rode mainly motorcycles for the last 20 years, but the 987 is more fun and safer. Why wait?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Definately nothing in going in used. Im personally waiting for some used 2009's and possibly 2010's when they come out. Going to buy a house first hopefully and then make a Cayman non-S purchase.

Being my first, I'm going to be looking at used.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Rob, good luck on the hunt and wait. I am new to the group but have been lurking every since I also had the bug bite hard. I also had to get my wifes car first. She wanted a new e class coupe, so once that was out of the way, I wasnt about to wait too long. I also went used for the first time and I must say, it is a great way to go. Do your research and you will find the right car. If that research takes a year and you are then in a position to get new, go that route, but used or maybe porsche certified may be an option.

Good luck,

JR

Forgot to add that I agree with owning car as xdamage said, feels so much better!!!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I waited about 1.5 years to buy mine, or you could say I waited a life time (depending on how you look at it ;)) Let me say it differently. I wanted a Porsche badly at times all my life, but I really became obsessed after driving a Cayman S. About 1.5 years later I drove away in the same dealer showroom car that I test drove 1.5 years earlier. I got a good deal, and they moved a nicely optioned S. And I would have bought a used S earlier except that they never found a used S in a color combination, and optioned the way I wanted.

I also "bought" my car. It is mine, not the banks. I also believe in saving and prioritizing. One year is a long time but the car really is something special and worth the wait.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With all the great responses I really want to be in the "real" club asap. I almost sensed a ***** in my wife's armor when these home remodeling gals came by. I thought "sure we can remodel honey" and she would say "you know I think you should get your car first" but alas DENIED! Did not happen lol.

I had a dream about driving a Cayman. Must really watch the obsession here! I really have never wanted a specific car this bad in my life.

Thanks for all of the great input. It keeps my sanity just talking to others who share my verve for this amazing machine!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
With all the great responses I really want to be in the "real" club asap. I almost sensed a ***** in my wife's armor when these home remodeling gals came by. I thought "sure we can remodel honey" and she would say "you know I think you should get your car first" but alas DENIED! Did not happen lol.

I had a dream about driving a Cayman. Must really watch the obsession here! I really have never wanted a specific car this bad in my life.

Thanks for all of the great input. It keeps my sanity just talking to others who share my verve for this amazing machine!
The member that purchased the brand new base 09 Cayman for 41.9K was DWF, that was a few months ago however if you keep looking you will find a good deal. In the mean time keep working on your wife, so when the right car comes along you will be able to move on the opportunity.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The member that purchased the brand new base 09 Cayman for 41.9K was DWF, that was a few months ago however if you keep looking you will find a good deal. In the mean time keep working on your wife, so when the right car comes along you will be able to move on the opportunity.
Ya the '09 CS for 59k (asking price so I am sure it was negotiable) was loaded with PDK, Chrono, Navi, etc. Probably about $20k worth of options and only 7.5k miles. Supposedly driven by a Porsche exec./account manager.

I saw it before they had even officially checked it into the dealership. They listed it online and two days later it was sold. Hmmph some lucky new CS owner. Even the color scheme I had wanted. White with black interior.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Ya the '09 CS for 59k (asking price so I am sure it was negotiable) was loaded with PDK, Chrono, Navi, etc. Probably about $20k worth of options and only 7.5k miles. Supposedly driven by a Porsche exec./account manager.

I saw it before they had even officially checked it into the dealership. They listed it online and two days later it was sold. Hmmph some lucky new CS owner. Even the color scheme I had wanted. White with black interior.
Right now you should figure out what options you want and which ones you could live without. Manual or PDK, Sport Chrno, LSD etc. this will make you decision a little easier if you decide to buy used, new off the lot or decide to order it exactly the way you want it. This will also take up a lot of time while you are saving. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.