Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AKA my wheel center caps showed up today. For $40 shipped for the set from an Etsy seller, I was expecting a decal on a plastic base. These are way nicer than I expected - there's an actual embossed insert, with a Porsche crest shaped recess in the plastic.
Guitar accessory Motor vehicle Badge Font Art
Bird Hood Motor vehicle Font Badge

The new ones are concave on the top surface, the originals are convex. I think every seller I've seen mentions this difference, not sure why this is a difference. Do they all get it from the same source? Color is a decent match for the original:
Font Gas Circle Hat Wood

And the back suggests this may be an OEM base? It's got a bunch of similar numbers, and says "Made in Italy". Or maybe someone copied that stuff too?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive lighting Rim

It looks pretty good on the (very dirty) wheel:
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

And I think it goes well with the agate grey and the clear side markers:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same two sets, I change them every time I do the brake flush, back to monochromatic this spring.
What wheels do you have? I kind of want to get some wheels with thinner spokes, some of the Apex designs in Anthracite look really good to me. But the car came with brand new tires because of CPO, so I really can't justify new rims / tires just because I like thinner spokes :)

Next up will be trying to swap the hood crest with this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mind sharing the seller?

No affiliation, and there are many others on Etsy / eBay / etc. selling what may be identical products. This is just the one I decided to try.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Done. Old vs. new:
Guitar accessory Badge Font Crest Symbol

I reused the gasket:
Eye Human body Grey Electronic device Circle

I'm not sure I tightened the speed nuts enough. I read lots of warnings to not over-tighten, since that can pull the legs off the crest, or dent the hood, etc. etc. But since the legs aren't threaded, the nuts are just kind of press-fit? Turning it with the socket didn't seem to do much. The crest doesn't move if I try to wiggle it from the top, so hopefully it's on OK?
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

I like the way it looks. I'll have to pull it out into the driveway sometime and try to take some shots of the whole front of the car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was out picking up T-day supplies today (the frunk works surprisingly well for grocery store runs), and took some more pictures.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Car Vehicle Plant Tire

Happy with how this is looking so far. I was thinking of PD / paint for the chrome fog light trim and headlight washer caps, but there's actually plenty of chrome inside the headlights, so it doesn't really seem that out of place.

I like how there's no orange / red on the outside any more, but it would probably take a Cayman owner to notice what was actually different :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts