Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get it? 2015 CS, stock 19 wheels. I look at Tire Rack and there are only 4 choices except for winter tires. Two Michelins, the stock Pirellis, and one Goodyear. No Contis for a German car? Why don't manufacturers like this Porsche?
Larry

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Did you try +/- 10mm widths?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I'm sure someone can chime in with more facts, but I get the impression that Porsche gives special approval for tires to be used on their car, so while there may be other manufacturers with tires in the right size that will work perfectly well, TireRack is only showing you the ones designated by Porsche. Have you searched by size rather than by vehicle?

And might anyone have a clue as to what Porsche would look for to certify them, other than a fee from the manufacturer? :)

Edit: Actually... I just went and searched myself by size and for the 20's... it gives you the same 5 options whether you search by vehicle or not, and only three of them have the N0 Porsche designation. So I guess TireRack just doesn't sell anything else.

For what it's worth, I've also just checked Continental Tires' website and they simply don't seem to make anything in our size for 20's. They had a 265/35/20 but not a matching 235/35/20. I didn't check any other sizes.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Weasel, weasel, weasel; you're clueless :taunt:

Have you ever thought how expensive the bidding process might be? The required changes? The return on investment? Etc? Etc?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Weasel, weasel, weasel; you're clueless :taunt:
This is a fact. Not quite the one I was asking for... but I suppose I could have been more specific. :D

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I don't get it? 2015 CS, stock 19 wheels. I look at Tire Rack and there are only 4 choices except for winter tires. Two Michelins, the stock Pirellis, and one Goodyear. No Contis for a German car? Why don't manufacturers like this Porsche?
Larry
What don't you understand? Traditionally, there is always only a choice of 3 or 4 tires. Sometimes less. So what is the issue? This is the way it is. Is this your first time looking for tires for a Porsche? If so, know you understand for the future. :)

You have a choice of two different n specs. For my car, I have a choice of ... one. So ???

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I have heard that the 20" size is fairly new and rare.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, I did not understand. It is hard for me to understand that Continental does not make a summer tire that fits the CS as designed. The Michelin is always a safe bet but I have a lot of choices with my Mercedes.
Larry

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I have heard that the 20" size is fairly new and rare.
It is. 18" was standard on the 987 Cayman Options 19" was optional. There was like two n-specs available, Bridgestone and Michelin. 19" is standard and 20" is optional. I think the n spec tires are contracted. I know everyone moves to the MPSS and many hate the Pirellis.

Right, I did not understand. It is hard for me to understand that Continental does not make a summer tire that fits the CS as designed. The Michelin is always a safe bet but I have a lot of choices with my Mercedes.
Larry
Porsche is a tiny boutique builder of cars. Last year they sold 42K cars in the US, mostly all Cayennes and some Pannys. MB sold almost a full Magnitude more, 334K. They are so far apart in sales you can't even speak about them in the same sentence. Of course you have many choices for MB and few for Porsche. One tiny, one big (not huge, but big).

You need to forget everything you know about the past because any prior ownership experience no longer matters. Things change. :)

You might find a dozen or 18 different choices for a Camry or Accord ... etc.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Let's look into the future tire situation for our cars by looking into the past. Two personal stories:

I recently looked for tires for my 928 - one or two companies allegedly make them, but a matched set was not available. In one case, the manufacturer had a batch scheduled for production six months hence. Hearing my plight, someone offered me a good deal on his used "manhole" wheels with nearly new tires. My old wheels were ugly, so I smiled all the way to Buffalo to pick them up.

When some hostile remarks about Prius drivers surfaced in another Porsche forum, I posted "OT, I know, but can anyone recommend a good extreme high performance summer tire for my Prius?" There were no helpful replies, so I checked myself: Yes! And N-rated! Turns out the Prius and the 356 use the same size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts